The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Anybody else struggling with 2nd year living?

Hi everyone!

Right. Where to start. Ah yeah!

I was just wondering if anyone in Bangor uni is having a problem finding somewhere to live for their second year? Because I sure as hell am >.< I thought I got on really well with my flatmates in halls but everyone else has sorted themselves out and I didn't get asked to join anyone. Having said that I think they thought because I'm a local that I'd go back home instead but....I should have mentioned that home isn't really an ideal place to live if I'm studying for a first degree, let alone anything else.

I have tried the student messageboards but most of the available places are from September and I need something by June - I've looked at what's available for then and I've been put off by some dodgy claims and one that was in a very undesirable location (VERY UNDESIREABLE).

I have come across a couple of really nice looking houses in Bangor, which I have requested viewings for, and I was wondering that if there was anybody else still struggling, be they undergrad, postgrad, or even those annoying PhD students, perhaps we could band together?

Just a thought; this thread isn't a means of getting hopeful. Be nice just to even know that I'm not totally solo with accommodation dilemmas. :3
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey, I'm not at Bangor but just wanted to say that's a really crappy situation but you find people to live with pretty easily in my experience (a few people I know have been in similar positions, and I moved uni for a masters and had to find people I didn't know to live with).

Do you have a message board for this type of thing? What I did was took one room in a house and then found people through a housing message board to fill the other rooms.

Hope you find someone soon!
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Reply 2
I know -_-

I did try the messageboards; either got spammed by other peoples requests or replied to adverts with some questionable claims, or that I knew were owned by dodgy people (benefits of being a local).

What I did was took one room in a house and then found people through a housing message board to fill the other rooms.

This is what I want to do but a lot of estate agents I spoke to said they wouldn't even arrange viewings requested by a single person - it had to be a group. And who was it that said honesty is the best policy? ¬_¬ So this time I'm not going to mention anything about being by myself.

I did view somewhere promising this week but then got left with the impression that the other residents would only accept someone who was of 'their' nationality judging by the way a couple spoke to me when I visited :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by FoxWolf
I know -_-

I did try the messageboards; either got spammed by other peoples requests or replied to adverts with some questionable claims, or that I knew were owned by dodgy people (benefits of being a local).

This is what I want to do but a lot of estate agents I spoke to said they wouldn't even arrange viewings requested by a single person - it had to be a group. And who was it that said honesty is the best policy? ¬_¬ So this time I'm not going to mention anything about being by myself.

I did view somewhere promising this week but then got left with the impression that the other residents would only accept someone who was of 'their' nationality judging by the way a couple spoke to me when I visited :frown:

Awh well that's a shame.
Masters students wont be coming looking for houses until the summer, I would suggest maybe keeping an eye out but you can always move in with Masters students/postgrads come summer :smile: They'll be looking on housing notice boards etc?

Also you could try individual landlords rather than letting agents. I had the same issue but eventually found somewhere where they were willing to let it room by room.
Reply 4
Hey.
Sorry to hear about your situation but if it helps we have a room in our house on Deiniol Road from September 2013 due to two moving out as they are graduating. In the house is two girls studying law (I may be leaving though as I have applied to be a warden), a male studying history and possibly (depending on if she gets to be a warden or not) a girl studying biomedical science.

The rent is apparently between either £70 or £75 a week for the room (I've forgotten which one it is spare sorry), bills are not included, but cost around £20-£30 a month each, which is like an extra £5 a week on the room really. We have Internet in this house as all of us need it!

The house is opposite some of the science buildings and down the road from Deiniol library, Academi + psychology buildings. However, us law students and the history lad walk up to Main Arts daily and find it can take around 10 minutes to get there. We also live right in front of Asda.
Stephanie.
Reply 5
That's very kind of you to mention, Steph, but unfortunately I need somewhere to live from June. I can't go back home because my room has now been put to another use >.< Despite being a local I have no friends that aren't living at home and the friends I do have still live with their rents as I knew them in coleg menai and so it'd just be weird for them.

Thank you though ^^
Reply 6
Original post by FoxWolf
Hi everyone!

Right. Where to start. Ah yeah!

I was just wondering if anyone in Bangor uni is having a problem finding somewhere to live for their second year? Because I sure as hell am >.< I thought I got on really well with my flatmates in halls but everyone else has sorted themselves out and I didn't get asked to join anyone. Having said that I think they thought because I'm a local that I'd go back home instead but....I should have mentioned that home isn't really an ideal place to live if I'm studying for a first degree, let alone anything else.

I have tried the student messageboards but most of the available places are from September and I need something by June - I've looked at what's available for then and I've been put off by some dodgy claims and one that was in a very undesirable location (VERY UNDESIREABLE).

I have come across a couple of really nice looking houses in Bangor, which I have requested viewings for, and I was wondering that if there was anybody else still struggling, be they undergrad, postgrad, or even those annoying PhD students, perhaps we could band together?

Just a thought; this thread isn't a means of getting hopeful. Be nice just to even know that I'm not totally solo with accommodation dilemmas. :3

iifffffffff you still need a place

Farrar Road. There are 6 bedrooms, 3 are available - 1 big room for £85 (and i mean big!) +2 smaller rooms for £80. (theyre pretty average sized) it has a large kitchen, one bathroom with shower, large kitchen, backgarden with shed for storage, washing machine and dryer, the gas and electric are by meter so pay as you go sorta thing, and we have already got the internet and phone set up for £4/month. Farrar road is situated literally under ten minutes from most things e.g. town, uni buildings, train station etc. There are three other girls going to be moving in, (me being one :biggrin:) We are all very friendly, easy to get along with, down to earth and tidy. Although we like to keep the house tidy and get on with our studies, but we also like to party! ;D We are all in our third year too. Two doing zoology and one doing child studies. Message me if interested! 07880491442 or [email protected] Can get viewings if interested x
Reply 7
Oh I got sorted out a good while ago >.< But thank you very much, too bad though. You guys sounded like fun and it's only opposite work too XD

Hope you get them filled :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest