The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Film production and technology

Hey, so I've received a conditional offer for Film Production and Technology and BCU is my first choice of uni's but I have a few questions/worries.
I ideally want to be placed in Curzon Gateway's accommodation, failing that Jennens Court because I will be studying at the City Centre campus, what are the chances of me getting one of these places for accommodation? Have many people who are studying at the City Centre campus had trouble with getting their preferred accommodation? I don't want to be in a position where I have to travel a lot to and from classes and to and from the city centre/train stations. I'm quite shy, so I'm very worried about not being able to fit in with flat mates/people on my course. When I first meet people I have a tendency to be really awkward and quiet and just make them feel like I don't want to get to know them. Is it easy to get along with the other first years? Is everyone gonna be as worried as me and therefore be as friendly and understanding of each other? I really don't want to spend the next three years on my own! And how easy is it to afford to live in Birmingham? A couple of people I've spoken to say they really struggle. I've worked out finances and weekly budgets and I have about £40 to spend per week on food etc, will this be enough? That's about it. If you managed to read it all and not get bored, thank you:wink: if you're studying the same course or will be studying at City Centre/want to be in the same accommodation as me please please don't be afraid to talk to me because I think I'll need all the help I can get!
Thank you, Steph:smile:
Reply 1
Hi Steph, congrats on the offer. I am on my second year so I can give you a few things to think about.

First off... Are you aware that the course is a BSc? If not I suggest you have a real good think. Your module 'Moving Image' will break you in half if you have not acquired strong academic skills in science/ physics/ electronics etc.. There are people with a-level maths and science who struggle with the course.

The course is promoted as a jolly filmy and special effects based course... Lol, trust me if I could switch course I would. To prove this further I am MORE THAN HAPPY to send you a lecture slide for a typical week, see if you can stomach it?

Any who, I thought Id give you a rain check before you dive into a **** hole of a course.

Oh, course management is disorganized so dont expect any much. Lectureres will tend to answer any questions you have with, wait for it.. a frikkin question! Lol Im just being honest hear.

There is a plus though, 3D is awesome. We learn most of our stuff on YouTube :smile:

The business/ marketing however is pretty cool. Really.

Accomodation

Lol, if your brave you'll try to get into curzons/ jennons. Ive had friends turned down last minute (like days before uni actually starts!). The management is notorious for giving people the run around.

Go with 'The Heights', Its the same distance to BCU, its cheaper and the facilities are more than adequate. Friendly people. Alternatively go to the accommodation opposite heights, its a lil more snazzy but comes at a price. Do some research.

You'll be fine. Although theres been a few stabbings, theyve been amongst the loacals :smile:
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Dilly1

First off... Are you aware that the course is a BSc? If not I suggest you have a real good think. Your module 'Moving Image' will break you in half if you have not acquired strong academic skills in science/ physics/ electronics etc.. There are people with a-level maths and science who struggle with the course.

The course is promoted as a jolly filmy and special effects based course... Lol, trust me if I could switch course I would. To prove this further I am MORE THAN HAPPY to send you a lecture slide for a typical week, see if you can stomach it?

I'm thinking about this course because I'm freaked that a BA would never teach me how to use a camera and be totally ideas based- I want to be a cinematographer but I want to live in a city, I'd love to see your lecture slides. Have you heard of any courses that you'd recommend more? Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by Dilly1

Any who, I thought Id give you a rain check before you dive into a **** hole of a course.

Oh, course management is disorganized so dont expect any much. Lectureres will tend to answer any questions you have with, wait for it.. a frikkin question! Lol Im just being honest hear.

DO you mind if you could send me a lecture slide too? I am planning to go for the same course but I am fairly rubbish with maths. I went to the open day and they mentioned nothing sciency. I did, however, see some really complicated algebra stuff on the whiteboard in one one the seminar rooms, which made me question why it was there. It would help me greatly!
I was a first year on this course last year.
The moving image element is presented and portrayed as something totally different.
The information is useful but thats if you actually understand it, the lecturer delivering the module didnt explain half of what was happening in lecture time and if he did it wasnt clear or concise.

Aside from that the modules and tutors were good but not worth the post 2012 fees, I felt i could persue a career as a documentary director without the degree (I didnt,) instead i just requested an internal transfer.

My recommendation to you is if youre interested practise the equations, learn the physics behind them and what they apply to in the work place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Could I also have a slide show presentation? I'm considering going to bcu to study this course.

Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending