The Student Room Group

Please help advice wanted for applying!

Hi everyone.
would like some advice/info from anybody who can help.
always wanted to study medicine since the age of 5; suffered quite badly with anxiety and depression from age 11-18. Despite almost missing most of year 10 at school, I achieved 10 GCSEs without much study: 6As and 4B grades. I got better for a bit and attended a local college to do the international baccalaureate with the intention to do medicine after completion. I left after one year as i was so depressed thus didn't complete this.
After a lot of beta blockers to control my anxiety and antidepressants; I went to work for a friend of the family in his dental practice. This helped me overcome my anxiety as I had to speak to patients and help them out.
so after getting better, I was accepted onto an access to medicine course; only to be told by admissions tutors that they aren't the best option for entry,with this information I thought perhaps the course isn't as good as the college made out. Considering its partner university said its better to do a levels. After this information I didn't continue with this option (only 1 person out of 100 ppl were given an interview even though we were told we would all have one from the partner university, so i don't regret my decision). after this I moved to Scotland to live with my boyfriend (now husband), Hes changed my life around I've never been happier and finally been free of depression for 3 years. last year I began a HNC health care course, with this I can either be promoted at work or progress into second year of adult nursing. However, I have never wanted to be a nurse and I have not enjoyed my nursing placements whatsoever its not scientific enough for me who always wanted to be a surgeon. I could go with the nursing first then apply as a graduate for medicine but think it would be wrong to take up a nursing place when I have no intentions of being a nurse. So Im planning on completing fast track A levels online this year whilst continuing to gain further work experience and applying to medicine in october 2013 for 2014 entry.
Anyone done this or had any experience of online a level study?? Any thoughts or comments on my idea welcome. Please help! X
Hi

It sounds like you have come through a lot, so well done for sticking with your dream! I am 24 and just finishing an access to medicine course at the moment. What I would stress is access courses or a levels are only as successful for medicine entry as the applicant. If you are the right applicant it is possible to get in with either. I first trained as a nurse and completely agree with your opinion on the lack of science, which is what made me change to medicine. If you are over 21 most universities expect you to apply through access (not that a levels are discouraged, its just more normal for a mature student to do access). I received 4 interview offers and so far one conditional offer to study medicine at Glasgow (which i'm likely to firm as it's my favourite, I love Scotland! I am English, not Scottish). Many universities accept access to medicine and it is only a one year course, where every unit is tailored to a medical degree, whereas a levels incorporate all areas of a subject, not just the medically relevant. Also being on an access course means your reference will be from a reliable tutor who knows your studying capability at present, this can make a big difference on whether unis think you will attain the correct grades.

My advice is prepare very very hard for the UKCAT to get a good score
Write a great personal statement and get as many people to check it over as possible.
Pick the correct universities... you only get 4 options, choose wisely

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending