The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do Jews separate themselves so much from society?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Danya1
1. Sorry if it offends you but I am simply repeating what many others have said to reply to the post that sparked this with a similar sort of humor :biggrin:

In Islam, you are not allowed to forcefully convert anyone to Islam but rather guide them to it and teach them about it, hence your use of words could be better.

You did not offend me!!!!!! I just hate people always mentioning the stereotypes as they are generally untrue :tongue: I didn't mean to sound like people are forced into Islam sorry if it seemed that way :colondollar:
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
I was born Jewish and although I am an atheist and don't really take any part in mixing with Jews except my relatives, surely you aren't blind enough to not realise why Jews keep to themselves? Jews have been persecuted throughout history, in many countries anti-semitism is still widely acceptable, and it was only 68 years ago that 1/3 of the world's entire population of Jews were systematically exterminated. Stating the extreme obvious, your average parent of a secondary school child (let's say 45) was born only 23 years after the holocaust. Jews stick together 1) to protect themselves 2) to preserve their culture 3) because Jews and other Jews have a lot of things in common. A lot of Jewish parents who grew up going to non-Jewish schools where they were bullied for being Jewish don't want it to happen to their kids (and you have to be kidding yourself to assume that Jewish kids don't get bullied). However, as someone else pointed out, you probably don't realise if you're passing a Jew in the street or talking to a Jew because most Jews (in this country) don't wear a kippah (the hat) or anything that identifies them as a Jew, and don't go around proclaiming that they are Jewish.

This. Exactly my situation, born Jewish, but am an atheist. I've actually had people at my school shout things like "Gaza" and "murderer (or words to that effect)" because of my Jewish heritage. I'm not Israeli, nor are my family, but I've still had this said to me. So yeah, anti-Semitism is rife, scarily so in fact, and that's the main reason.
Reply 42
Someone said this on another thread. Is it true, and of so, what are the reasons for it?

(Just out of curiosity)
Original post by Danya1
Actually, the only school in North London that is even a bit Jewish is probably JFS, Elchaims etc. However, schools like QE Boys, Christ College, Compton Wren Academy...you dont get many jews

Completely disagree, think of Habs and NLCS, two Christian schools with lots of Jewish people
Reply 44
Jewish free schools.... hmmm, should i point of the vast abundance of CoE and Catholic schools aswell or would that dent your oh so well thought out rational?
Original post by Danya1
Lol, I would not agree, (I know I am being a little stereotypical here) their large noses and over hairy sideburns are rather of putting :smile:

But they're dark and mysterious, plus I do enjoy a hairy man.
Original post by tammie123
Isn't that a little off topic?

I realise but I just couldn't keep it in any longer.
The point is is that we are all humans why can’t we just act like humans and not be so close minded to everyone else. Instead of just helping you were Jewish community you can help the entire community. I’d say it’s kind of reverse racism. The black population was at a time in the past a slave race. And even in modern time there was segregation. Yet we live with all her comments here in Los Angeles we meet every race there is but what I have noticed is that there’s a small Jewish community in my neighborhood and I never knew about it for the longest time 37 years old and I have not come in contact with any Jewish people in my area this is just weird. And another weird thing is there is a $.99 store over in Paramount that apparently has a lot of Jewish people working there that is just weird you ask anybody that’s in my area you would to say that’s pretty darn weird.I’m not saying there is anything really really wrong about trying to keep your religion propagated but the Jewish people have both their religion and their ethnicity and their direct genetics linked together and that’s what makes it very difficult for me to understand why you can be so secluded from the rest of the population. It’s one thing to meet one person and your buddies with that one person, but when it comes to the communities it’s just like a whole other thing.I’m talking about survival in the city people in the city find themselves alone a lot and they meet random people and that’s just what makes the city much more interesting thing- At least here in the Los Angeles area.I did reference the African-American/Black history of persecution segregation and slavery in the past I will have to say the African Americans don’t stay to themselves and that’s a good thing and that’s what I appreciate about them I have made so many friends that are not part of my ethnicity and I feel like that’s one of the best parts of my life here. Multiculturalism is a blessing and it will be the way we finally unite everyone on this world. There is no other way. Segregation of your community by choice or force Is what keeps us in the dark ages and keeps us from moving forward and uniting the world.

Latest

Trending

Trending