The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It cost about £4500 to have my braces on, that was from start to finish and private. :smile:
Reply 2
thanks, anyone know how much it'd be on nhs.. being a 'poor' student n all! lol
Reply 3
Read your HC2. It should say that dental costs are free.
Reply 4
indeed, treatments the dentist say u need are free.. not something like orthodontics that they havent told me i need.. im choosing to go for (basically i was very lazy with a retainer so they've gone back to being [nearly] as bad as before!
Reply 5
I enquired about getting braces on NHS - I'm 17 - and they said that because of my age I wouldn't get it free at all and it would be around £5000.......
Reply 6
Juno
Read your HC2. It should say that dental costs are free.

yeah dental costs are free. ive got one and all i did was show it to the dentist and he said it was fine
If your problem is vaguely 'cosmetic' then your NHS dentist will probably refuse to treat you - that's what mine did at least grrrrr!

Instead, I paid £5000 for train tracks. Though, I have to say, the results are worth £1,000,000 :biggrin:

Can't even begin to explain how amazing the difference is, both aesthetically and with regard to confidence
Reply 8
woah 5,000 for braces :eek:
i wouldnt of thought it cost that much
Reply 9
For a 19 year old going to uni, would I have to pay for necessary dental treatment? I've got a couple of wisdom teeth coming through, which will probably have to be removed because there's not enough room. (I can just feel the pain already, absolutely hate dentists, life-long ambition is to punch one to show them what pain feels like.)
Reply 10
JayEm
For a 19 year old going to uni, would I have to pay for necessary dental treatment? I've got a couple of wisdom teeth coming through, which will probably have to be removed because there's not enough room. (I can just feel the pain already, absolutely hate dentists, life-long ambition is to punch one to show them what pain feels like.)

im 19 and still in education and since your going to uni youll still be in education too so just go to your doctors or dentist and ask for a form to do with a hc2 form.
it means you can get free doctors prescriptions and dental care
Reply 11
Sheen
yeah dental costs are free. ive got one and all i did was show it to the dentist and he said it was fine

meant in the nicest way possible.. what was the severity of the condition? i mean id just rather not have to pay! lol
Reply 12
bump
If you are a student in full-time education (i.e. at uni) then it is free on the NHS, regardless.
Reply 14
not if its cosmetic - as I said above, Im 17 (still in full time education and going on to Uni in september) and I was told I'd have to pay for it, They wont let get them on the NHS
Reply 15
where is the line drawn between cosmetic and required?
JayEm

hey extraction waiting times on the nhs are rather on teh large size at 6 months. Id get them done private because you can mess your whole mouth up otherwise.

Sorry for the bad news, but its how it is.
Reply 17
Happy Unicycling
If you are a student in full-time education (i.e. at uni) then it is free on the NHS, regardless.

Uni doesn't count as full time eudcation with regards to NHS treatment. If you're at uni you have to complete an HC2 form and you will be told if you're entitled to free/discounted healthcare and your eligibility is dependent on your income. You have to declare all bursary's, grants, savings and student loans

I get 2500 bursary and 2500 loan - and this puts me over the limit for free healthcare
Reply 18
Lauren Hart
hey extraction waiting times on the nhs are rather on teh large size at 6 months. Id get them done private because you can mess your whole mouth up otherwise.

Sorry for the bad news, but its how it is.

I live close to the Dental Hospital in Manchester where you can walk in and get treatment. But you're likely to get treated by a student dentist supervised by a qualified one.:frown: I've been putting off getting my teeth extracted due to the exams next month, so I can wait for the time being.
JackieS
Uni doesn't count as full time eudcation with regards to NHS treatment. If you're at uni you have to complete an HC2 form and you will be told if you're entitled to free/discounted healthcare and your eligibility is dependent on your income. You have to declare all bursary's, grants, savings and student loans

I get 2500 bursary and 2500 loan - and this puts me over the limit for free healthcare

:confused: I get 4000 loan and 500 towards fees, and I get the free NHS thing... Bizarre.