The Student Room Group

Different degree classifications & marks

I'm trying to better understand the grading system at University and how it affects the outcome mark of your degree :unsure:

I know there are different "honours classes", 1st, 2:1, 2:2, and they depend on your grades.
Since I'm used to a completely different grading system (oral exams with a maximum mark of 30), I'm just wondering how it works, exactly, in terms of your work during your course.

How is it graded and how could you practically achieve one honours class or the other?

I hope I was clear :biggrin: Any insight is appreciated!
You are given marks "out of" 100 for pieces of coursework/exams, and these are averaged with some weighting which is dependent on the course and should be explained in your course handbook. I say "out of" because in some places, no one ever ever gets marks over say 75, and in others there are other weird anomalies (eg in Cambridge Maths it is possible (though very rare) to score over 100 because of the scaling used). Then an average of 40% = 3rd, 50% = 2.2, 60%=2.1, 70% = 1st.
Reply 2
Original post by milienhaus
You are given marks "out of" 100 for pieces of coursework/exams, and these are averaged with some weighting which is dependent on the course and should be explained in your course handbook. I say "out of" because in some places, no one ever ever gets marks over say 75, and in others there are other weird anomalies (eg in Cambridge Maths it is possible (though very rare) to score over 100 because of the scaling used). Then an average of 40% = 3rd, 50% = 2.2, 60%=2.1, 70% = 1st.

Hm, do they average results from all three years for the overall mark?
it's interesting because I've been looking at the course prospectuses, but I couldn't find any specific info on assessment and this "weighting".
thanks!
Original post by laStrada
it's interesting because I've been looking at the course prospectuses, but I couldn't find any specific info on assessment and this "weighting".
thanks!

It is usually something like 40%/60% or 30%/70% on second year / third year, but again this depends on the institution and course. Some places count 1st year for something like 10%, if theres a fourth year obviously this changes things, and some places are 100% third year (Cambridge, for instance).

Course prospectuses aren't the same as course handbooks - these are normally given to people on the course already.
Original post by laStrada

In my university first year does not count towards the final mark of the degree, you just have to pass. 2nd and 3rd year count 50/50. I think it depends on the university and sometimes also the course though whether or not first year count.
Reply 5
Oh, I see. I'll just have to ask specifically to the universities then.
Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending