The Student Room Group

Secret relationship with my tutor for 5 months - think he treats me badly

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by OU Student
Am I the only one failing to see anything positive about this relationship?

You're not, but sometimes it's more clear-cut from the outside than from within. As long as the OP listens to the advice here, which is overwhelmingly in favour of running, then that's why relationship advice forums are good things.

It can seem astounding to others that a relationship perpetuates but people often forget how difficult it can sometimes be to take the plunge and be alone again.
Reply 21
Original post by Schichtoe
You're not, but sometimes it's more clear-cut from the outside than from within. As long as the OP listens to the advice here, which is overwhelmingly in favour of running, then that's why relationship advice forums are good things.

It can seem astounding to others that a relationship perpetuates but people often forget how difficult it can sometimes be to take the plunge and be alone again.

Thank you.
Reply 22
Original post by Reaffy
So there is a 24 year age difference; I'm 19, he's 43.

He taught me last year for A2 lit and I got an A* - throughout most of the year, I absolutely adored him. There was definite friendship and attraction between us (which most of the class picked up on) but nothing ever happened while I was his student. He was also in a relationship (just short of 2 years) and his girlfriend then was 23 and an ex student of his also. I'm still a student at the college but studying a different A-level in one year; applying to uni for this Sep. Now, towards the end of September last year, we began to text each other and he arrangeded to meet for coffee - the first time we'd ever been out on our own before. Within about 3 weeks, I'd told him that I had feelings for him, he asked to meet me and acknowledged the fact that they were mutual, we went on about 4 'secret' dates and one night, went back to his and slept together.

Since then we've been in a secret relationship but it's absolutely awful - I feel insecure and unloved, he feels overwhelmed and embarrassed in himself. I lost my virginity to him (which he knows) but he'll often say things (after sex) such as 'well, I did all the work there'/'you just lay there' or 'ah, you got what you wanted'. It's incredibly knocking to here the person you're most and first intimate with make you feel sexually inferior - he says these things repeatedly. In the heat of a recent argument, I said that maybe the reason I always wanted sex (which for one isn't true) was because it was the only time I felt affection from him. He said I was confusing affection with attention. He calls me demanding and says that I constantly throw tantrums, sulks or get in moods with him over nothing.

The other weekend, his friend text him at about 12AM to say she was coming over to his and he said that I'd have to just pretend to be somebody else. I got really upset and said you can't pick and choose when we're in a secret relationship; there's no believeable explanation a 19 year old to be in your house at that time. He started shouting at me saying I was stopping him from seeing his friends, his family, doing his work - he even refered to a colleage who had cancer and said I stopped him from going to her leaving-do. I was in tears at what he was saying and because I can't win arguments with him - he's too articulate and stubborn. He then just left.

Just this weekend, there were two minor instances. On Saturday, he came out of the shower sighing really heavily and looking fairly unhappy. I asked what was wrong and he said 'Oh, oh nothing.' I continued to look at him and said 'Are you sure?', he told me to stop looking at him and I asked again but he just snapped and told me that I should stop demanding things from him. On Sunday, we were walking out of the shop and he was carrying two heavy bags. He's recently been suffering from bad back ache, I offered to carry one but he refused through pride and I then playfully took hold of the bag so we were carrying it together and he just stopped and snapped at me again, telling me to stop.

There have been so many more examples of arguments and conflict. I feel so insecure being in a secret relationship with such a large age difference - I need the reassurance that we're okay and that reassurance can simply be affection. He hardly ever initiates it. I told him that things such as a good night or good morning text make a big difference, he never did it.

I don't know what to do..I love him so much but I take effectively all the blame for the problems in the relationship, leaving him as the victim and me as a sort of bully.

Please, I need some advice.

I haven't ever been in a relationship but for the first time your in a relationship , you should feel loved !

You should definitely stop seeing him and you know that deep down otherwise you wouldn't have posted this. Your last comment about you being a bully isn't true either when someone makes you feel like that then they are manipulating you .

Sorry if this hasn't made sense -- all the best for you
Reply 23
I'm sorry but i don't understand why you're still with him? He sounds nasty. The relationship isnt good for either of you - firstly its secret and thats bound to lead to a lot of problems and resentment. Secondly, its a huge age gap, which wouldnt matter so much if he sounded like a reasonable mature and supportive man, but he doesnt. In fact he sounds the complete opposite, almost to the point where he's bullying you. Thirdly, he has a history of being with ex students...shouldnt this ring alarm bells in itself?

I'm sorry if i sound harsh, but i really think you need to stop seeing this person and report him so that he doesnt prey on other young girls aswell. It seems as though he believes he can have you eating out the palm of his hand, exploiting the adoration you have for him with no respect for your own feelings. Give your heart to someone who will treasure it, not someone who kicks it to the kerb ;c
just tell him that you feel there are things wrong in the relationship, as if he's blaming it on you, and due to the age gap, you dont think its something you can continue.
you probably aren't mature enough for him, and honestly, you shouldn't be. your 19 and should behave like a 19 year-old. Heck i'm 21 and i doubt i'd date a 1 year old (unless he was rather mature) simply because of the maturity gap that exists even within those 2/3 years, and it would be unfair of me to him to expect him to act 21/22 not 19!

He likes the freshness of young girls, particuarly ex-students - possibly because of the power relations- possibly likes the naievety, but doesn't want to deal with the maturity that that age range brings.

i'm not saying he's a user -although i do wonder- but that he wants only half the deal, not the whole package.
Reply 25
Find someone your own age to date :facepalm:
Reply 26
Original post by brunettegirl92
Heck i'm 21 and i doubt i'd date a 1 year old (unless he was rather mature)

That would have to be one seriously mature one-year-old! :wink:
Reply 27
Original post by Reaffy
Thank you.

You're extremely welcome. Good luck, have my fingers crossed for you.

Remember, most people are nice and want to help. When it's tough, you need only yell. :smile:

Be brave!
Reply 28
your life is f*cked. cba to read the whole thing
Sorry to say it, but this doesn't sounds like a "relationship" to me - it sounds like a very insecure older man using someone younger to boost his ego.

I'm keeping this post anonymous, as I'm having what I'd call a recreational arrangement with the head of my department. I see him once every few weeks and I know that he has an official girlfriend (and that I will never be promoted to that position). My point here is that I clearly understand what's going on. I don't expect to have a relationship with him. But frankly if he ever spoke to me or treated me the way your bloke is treating you, I wouldn't bother going back. The situation as it is, suits both of us equally. The minute it starts to be unequal, danger bells should ring. And with a 19 year old and a 43 year old, they should have been ringing from Day One.

There is nothing to gain long-term by staying with this person - do you seriously want to be seeing a 50 year old when you're 26? The current situation seems to be causing you great pain, thanks to his mistreatment and lack of respect.

I hope you find the strength to walk away and I wish you well. Don't be fooled into thinking that 'something is better than nothing'. In your situation, being properly single would be much better than this level of mistreatment and manipulation. Don't let him ruin this part of your life - you're clearly a decent person who deserves much better.
Original post by Schichtoe
You're extremely welcome. Good luck, have my fingers crossed for you.

Remember, most people are nice and want to help. When it's tough, you need only yell. :smile:

Be brave!

Bat man is that you?
Reply 31
Get out of there. He's sounds like a horrible, horrible man and I know that I can't say it's not right to love someone who treats you like that, because that is your own feelings. But you have to have respect for yourself and cut this off right now.
Reply 32
You need to get away from him, you deserve better.
Reply 33
I'm conflicted in the sense that, I'm disgusted the age gap, but if I was 43 I'd be proud of myself for going balls deep in some young sugar walls.
Reply 34
End the 'relationship'.
Fresh Meat anyone?
Original post by Reaffy
There have been so many more examples of arguments and conflict. I feel so insecure being in a secret relationship with such a large age difference - I need the reassurance that we're okay and that reassurance can simply be affection.

No, you need a reality check so that you understand things are NOT ok.

I don't know what to do..I love him so much but I take effectively all the blame for the problems in the relationship, leaving him as the victim and me as a sort of bully.

Leave on your own terms, or wait to be dumped. Next year's model will be starting her course in September, if he can wait that long.

Please, I need some advice.

Leave him, and don't look back.
Maybe im suffering from historians fallacy here but isn't it really blindingly obvious that you need to end it? Even if he wasnt your tutor or 23 years older than you, its still not a healthy relationship.
Reply 39
I don't really know how I can possibly begin to speak to him about this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending