The Student Room Group

Getting mostly A*s

Currently work at at mostly A*s and As but with a few Bs, but would quite like to get mainly A*s in the summer, so just thought this thread could be used to share tips as to how to revise certain subjects etc ie, i am unsure about how to revise english

Scroll to see replies

I usually suck at revision if I'm honest. :tongue: One tip I can definitely recommend for written subjects like Science and Geography though is just read a page, copy it on paper, then get another paper and move your revision book and paper you copied on and see how much you can remember and keep revising until you remember almost all of the page. :smile:

As for English I find it quite easy, all you really need to do is ask your teacher how to structure your answers and they'll teach you and then I keep practising until I can construct my points easily. English sort of comes naturally for me though, as we're taught well at our school.
Reply 2
Original post by callmemorbid
Currently work at at mostly A*s and As but with a few Bs, but would quite like to get mainly A*s in the summer, so just thought this thread could be used to share tips as to how to revise certain subjects etc ie, i am unsure about how to revise english

Well first you need to find out what kind of learner you are - for this you can easily take a quiz on google to find out. But for me revision techniques that work are: flashcards, notes on cue cards in loads of different colours (bright colours appeal to me), poster with bright colours stuck around my room, post it notes stuck around my room (use these for french mainly). Ermm, for english its more of a case of practising techniques and getting your time managment on point. Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 3

You can't revise fro english
Original post by stephbo
Well first you need to find out what kind of learner you are - for this you can easily take a quiz on google to find out.

I'm fairly sure the evidence does not back up the claim of learning styles, but rather that all people learn best when using a variety of techniques.
Reply 5
Original post by PythianLegume
I'm fairly sure the evidence does not back up the claim of learning styles, but rather that all people learn best when using a variety of techniques.

Okay..:s-smilie:
Make sure u iron out any things you find difficult as you go along and not at the end when ur starting to panic. Also for most subjects past papers are heaven sent :angelwings::angel:
Reply 7
Original post by PythianLegume

Original post by stephbo
Okay..:s-smilie:

agree with this, that learning style thing was pretty much pseudo-scientific bull**** which almost all schools ate up.
a bit like Brain Gym.
Reply 8

For English what worked for me was just getting my teacher to make up questions and then me writing about them. I would then hand them in to be marked and I would stay behind after lesson well she went through them with me and told me how to improve. For subjects such as Maths and the sciences I just did question after question in the text book and then did past papers when we got nearer to the exam.

Hope this helps!
Original post by EduWiz
You can't revise fro english

Nonsense. Whilst revising writing is more difficult, there is a lot of exam technique concerning the reading section. Without revising English properly, you'd struggle to get an A* regardless of how good you are at it.
Reply 10
Original post by yellowcopter
I usually suck at revision if I'm honest. :tongue: One tip I can definitely recommend for written subjects like Science and Geography though is just read a page, copy it on paper, then get another paper and move your revision book and paper you copied on and see how much you can remember and keep revising until you remember almost all of the page. :smile:

As for English I find it quite easy, all you really need to do is ask your teacher how to structure your answers and they'll teach you and then I keep practising until I can construct my points easily. English sort of comes naturally for me though, as we're taught well at our school.

thank you! super useful, especially the geography/science bit, dreading geography revision soooooooooo much :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by elitemodella
Make sure u iron out any things you find difficult as you go along and not at the end when ur starting to panic. Also for most subjects past papers are heaven sent :angelwings::angel:

when do you think a good time to start would be?
Reply 12
Original post by TheAJK
For English what worked for me was just getting my teacher to make up questions and then me writing about them. I would then hand them in to be marked and I would stay behind after lesson well she went through them with me and told me how to improve. For subjects such as Maths and the sciences I just did question after question in the text book and then did past papers when we got nearer to the exam.

Hope this helps!

thank you, it really does, not looking forward to the next few weeks at all
Reply 13
Original post by Chlorophile
Nonsense. Whilst revising writing is more difficult, there is a lot of exam technique concerning the reading section. Without revising English properly, you'd struggle to get an A* regardless of how good you are at it.

Sorry i was talking about the writing:biggrin:
Reply 14
thank you, it really does, not looking forward to the next few weeks at all

Also motivation wise I would get up at 9 on weekends and try and revise until about 2 (with breaks) and then I'd go and do something fun for a few hours(movies, games, cycling) and then do a few more hours in the evening and it never seemed too bad for me, however if I got up at like 1 in the afternoon I found motivation very difficult.

Good luck, if you work hard you will get the grades you want!
Depends on which part of Eng. I usually read a lot at night (well, I used to) and I beast in the controlled assessments (20/20 sometimes) but I can't do poetry or analysing for **** :/ constantly have to repeat my tests because I turn the exam into a story lol -_-

That's why I don't like English... It's easy to get good grades in Sci and Maths cause there are set answers :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
thank you! super useful, especially the geography/science bit, dreading geography revision soooooooooo much :frown:

I hate Geography revision too, lucky we do Edexcel which is a very easy exam board because you only need to do 1 topic for the first question and another for the second, so you don't need to learn that much. :tongue:

I prefer them because all you need to do is write and write until it sticks to your brain! :wink: Make sure you try loads of practise questions too so you don't get any surprises and you'll know what to do when they come up. :biggrin:

u in gcse's or a levels?
Reply 18
Original post by TheAJK
Also motivation wise I would get up at 9 on weekends and try and revise until about 2 (with breaks) and then I'd go and do something fun for a few hours(movies, games, cycling) and then do a few more hours in the evening and it never seemed too bad for me, however if I got up at like 1 in the afternoon I found motivation very difficult.

Good luck, if you work hard you will get the grades you want!

same i can never motivate myself literally takes me about three hours to get started properly, procrastination is my downfall. thanks for the advice, i was thinking of setting out my day like a school day on study leave, like following my school timetable and the breaks
Reply 19
Original post by yellowcopter
I hate Geography revision too, lucky we do Edexcel which is a very easy exam board because you only need to do 1 topic for the first question and another for the second, so you don't need to learn that much. :tongue:

I prefer them because all you need to do is write and write until it sticks to your brain! :wink: Make sure you try loads of practise questions too so you don't get any surprises and you'll know what to do when they come up. :biggrin:

thanks for the tips! did you do a controlled assessment?

Quick Reply

Latest