The Student Room Group

Oxbridge rejects - a view

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redferry
Actually saisburies did used to do a great deal on Port, so there was often Port too, but I think that habit filtered down from our public school friend lol.
A habit that I have come to regret many times :P

One can always try a nice Sauternes as an alternative to Port.

I believe there is some sort of traditional "hail the arrival of the cheese board" song or acclamation at some colleges. We don't have one at ours, which puts us firmly in the lower zone of the affectation chart.
Reply 21
Original post by Fullofsurprises
One can always try a nice Sauternes as an alternative to Port.

I believe there is some sort of traditional "hail the arrival of the cheese board" song or acclamation at some colleges. We don't have one at ours, which puts us firmly in the lower zone of the affectation chart.

We just tend to chant CHEESE CHEESE CHEESE CHEESE!!! In the true manner of the lower classes
Ok so this is in the Oxbridge thread, but I saw it pop up at the side of my TSR and was curious. I think it's complete rubbish, to be honest. Yes places like Durham have more than their fair share of rahs and people who fit the description in the article, but this is no doubt down to Durham being the kind of university those people want - good academically, pretty buildings, old cobbley streets, colleges, rowing and union society etc.
I think these kind of people would end up behaving the way they do whether they were rejected by Oxbridge or not. Their behaviour is a reflection of the lifestyle they imagined having at University, rather than what they imagined Oxbridge would be like. I'm pretty sure they would have acted exactly the same way had they succeeded on getting into Oxbridge.
Also I don't really think I need to explain that the vast majority of people who didn't get into Oxbridge are perfectly normal human beings that don't feel the need to bathe in champagne, go rowing, attend the debate chamber and dress completely over the top at formals just because they think they 'should'... most just end up at somewhere like Durham because they really liked the idea of colleges - not because they want to desperately emulate some kind of silly lifestyle.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by redferry
We just tend to chant CHEESE CHEESE CHEESE CHEESE!!! In the true manner of the lower classes

Lol. How depressingly impoverished it all sounds.
Reply 24
I dont think I agree with the article.

I was rejected by Cambridge 4 years ago. Retrospectively, I think I would have never survived the workload, so I don't really regret. One of my friend was rejected by Oxford. Neither of us are smugs/snobs whatever the article described. We just accepted that maybe it wasn't the best place for us.
What is particularly funny is when some of these people make it to oxbridge on cash-cow masters degrees, and find that the social group they believed existed either doesnt exist or doesn't want them as they were rejected first time around.
Original post by Tuerin
How are you distinguishing between those who have a contrived, compensatory poshness and those who are naturally posh? What nonsense

I wasn't trying to arbitrarily divide people's poshness- people at Oxford just seemed a lot more relaxed than those i've seen at York or Bristol, a lot less academically aggressive if that makes sense.
Original post by BlamelessJak
I wasn't trying to arbitrarily divide people's poshness- people at Oxford just seemed a lot more relaxed than those i've seen at York or Bristol, a lot less academically aggressive if that makes sense.

Even still, you will have trouble distinguishing between those who are naturally 'academically aggressive' and those that behave like that as a way of compensating for their past academic failures

The article seems to rely solely on prejudicial stereotypes. It wasn't even that funny. Perversely, it was almost as if the author held bitterness against those universities immediately below Oxbridge
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
I thought the article was going to be very funny, but instead i think it just came across as taking itself way too seriously. Disappointed.
Reply 29
I've never met a "rah" in real life before...should be interesting when I get to university.
Original post by nexttime
I thought the article was going to be very funny, but instead i think it just came across as taking itself way too seriously. Disappointed.

As so often, the comments are more interesting than the article. I do think there's some validity to the basic points he makes though.
As so often, the comments are more interesting than the article. I do think there's some validity to the basic points he makes though.

It's a joke article.

(i.e. not to be used for snobbery)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tabzqt
I've never met a "rah" in real life before...should be interesting when I get to university.

Is "rah" still in general usage? I haven't heard it for a bit.
Original post by HistoryHistory
It's a joke article.

(i.e. not to be used for snobbery)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Snobbery is always ready to leap into action, the presence of a mild joke or two in the source is no barrier.
Reply 34
Is "rah" still in general usage? I haven't heard it for a bit.

I believe so
Reply 35
Original post by Tuerin
Even still, you will have trouble distinguishing between those who are naturally 'academically aggressive' and those that behave like that as a way of compensating for their past academic failures

The article seems to rely solely on prejudicial stereotypes. It wasn't even that funny. Perversely, it was almost as if the author held bitterness against those universities immediately below Oxbridge

Hell I'm at Northumbria and we have genuinely academically aggressive people. They do my head in. I don't give two ****s what you got in your exam, I got 90% and I'm not asking everyone what they got in the hope I've beaten them!

York does have some really faux-posh students, I lived there and so bumping into them on nights out was inevitable. They're annoying, I've got no time for facades!
Reply 36
But to the more important issue: why on earth does the Telegraph use the illogical American date format for its comments???
Original post by Wattsy
Hell I'm at Northumbria and we have genuinely academically aggressive people. They do my head in. I don't give two ****s what you got in your exam, I got 90% and I'm not asking everyone what they got in the hope I've beaten them!

York does have some really faux-posh students, I lived there and so bumping into them on nights out was inevitable. They're annoying, I've got no time for facades!

My question was how are you distinguishing between the posh and the compensatory, faux posh? And the academically aggressive and the compensatory academically aggressive?
Reply 38
Original post by Tuerin
My question was how are you distinguishing between the posh and the compensatory, faux posh? And the academically aggressive and the compensatory academically aggressive?

In York at least the poshness only goes to a level, the compensators tend to overcompensate. With the academics, differentiation is a bit harder I suppose unless you have someone's life story.
Original post by nexttime
But to the more important issue: why on earth does the Telegraph use the illogical American date format for its comments???

Disqus generally appears to be one of the more irritating comment systems, it has a range of annoying and wierd behaviours. That said, one can at least bash out a comment pretty rapidly on it, you just have to be careful not to say anything too lengthy, as it dumps about 10% of comments without explanation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending