The Student Room Group

What is the most annoying things other road users do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
being on the ****ing road.

other than that, i swear particularly violently at those that lack the ability to indicate.
Everything in that poll is infuriating.

If I had to choose, not indicating would win.
Not indicating doesn't bother me too much, especially if they're just changing lanes on the motorway and its relatively clear. But its annoying when they're turning in a side road and I'm trying to pull out but they don't indicate.

Tailgaters I can't stand at all, suddenly my brake pedal becomes fun to press. As said, if you're in a rush leave earlier. Don't put my back bumper at risk just because you want to speed, I'm happy to let you overtake if its clear. I'm not going to break the speed limit just for you.

Going slow in NSL is understandable if its say going 40 on a Single Carriageway NSL (60) road as they can be pretty bendy. And if they're going like 30MPH you can always overtake if its clear. On Dual carriageways, theres always the right hand lane.

Cyclists aren't too bad, they're doing a favour to the environment and not driving their cars. But some are absolute ***** like drivers can be.

Middle Lane hoggers don't bother me, I can use the overtaking lane to get pass.

People who pull out infront of you and block like half of your lane and you need to slow down to let them go really annoys me. You have to give way to traffic on the road, not vice versa. Same with roundabouts when they can clearly see me coming. Luckily I'm a relatively calm driver and I don't really rage at any one or honk unless it was a close near miss.

Using lights in the day doesn't bother me unless its full beam. But driving in the dark without lights is very dangerous although they normally realise quickly!

Any others? Undertakers. They see the left hand lane being clear for 500m and speed past you at 85MPH on the left then indicate to move back in front of you. I'd move over to the left on motorways/dual carriageways for any one who wants to drive faster if you're not tailgating me.

Going straight on roundabouts on the right hand lane. Always happens on this roundabout near me. Normally theres more traffic on the left hand lane, they speed past on the right hand lane and try and go straight.

Last of all, TAXI DRIVERS OMFG YOU DON'T OWN THE ROAD. JUST BECAUSE YOU WORK ON THE ROAD. Everything they do infuriates me but sometimes theres a few normal ones. /rant
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 83
When people pull out really fast infront of you and then drive really slow !!
Original post by Runninground
You can't use engine braking to come to a complete stop, fool.

1. You never mentioned coming to a complete stop until now, so you've kicked yourself in your own teeth there.

2. Cars don't speed up on there own, it's how physics works, drop it into second and come of the gas and the car will stop on its own.
Original post by Anthony.BF
1. You never mentioned coming to a complete stop until now, so you've kicked yourself in your own teeth there.

2. Cars don't speed up on there own, it's how physics works, drop it into second and come of the gas and the car will stop on its own.

Why are you still telling me about engine braking when you know I said they come to a complete stop.
Why are you still telling me about engine braking when you know I said they come to a complete stop.

[INDENT]1. People who drive close to you when you're at the speed limit.

2. People who brake using their handbrake in traffic (So their lights don't come on, but this doesn't happen a lot)

3. People who drive round with their headlights on in daylight.[/INDENT]
That's what you said. I still can't find the bit you mention about coming to a complete stop. Can you find it for me?

2. People who brake using their handbrake in traffic (So their lights don't come on, but this doesn't happen a lot)

That's what you said. I still can't find the bit you mention about coming to a complete stop. Can you find it for me?

2. Using their handbrake to slow down? Are you sure they're not just coming of the accelerator, nothing wrong with that.

3. DRLs sir.

Sure...

You can't use engine braking to come to a complete stop, fool.
Idiotic morons who think it's fine to change lanes without indicating at the last minute essentially cutting me off in the process.

Tailgating pricks who think it's fine to ride up my bum for 2 miles

Retarded ass cyclists who pull out from a side road without looking

Air headed pedestrians who cross the road without looking

Off duty police drivers who think it's fine to drive 15mph below the speed limit. :angry:

That last one actually pisses me off the most, the arrogance of it...
(edited 11 years ago)
Actually my worst of the worst are the morons that pull out right in front of you on a junction causing you to brake hard, then drive at a snails pace for the next five minutes.
Original post by Motorbiker
Opinions?

Worst for me is people that don't indicate.

Number of times i've almost been hit by people swerving at the last second with no indication is higher than it should be...

Second would hae to be people that sit in the middle lane all day... Ffs...

People who don't pull out of the slow lane whilst you're coming down on a slip road, and accelerate from behind so they actually block your exit all the way.

Or oncoming people who don't slow down when you pull out into their side to go around a parked car, and then act all pissed when, inexplicably, they nearly hit you...

Oh, or this stupid lady in a car park today, she was sitting across both lanes waiting for me to pull out, I couldn't pull out to go to the exit directly because I was hemmed in, so I pulled out facing her. She then did that hand thing to say "lol wtf is this guy doing, pulling out to drive at me when there's no room". :angry:
Reply 92
Tailgators irritate me so much. I was driving over the speed limit on a national road and the guy behind me was so close I couldn't see his headlights. I was so irritated I actually started braking. I know that's not a clever move (and I don't do it now), but at the time I was very pissed off.

People not indicating can also be annoying, especially at roundabouts.
tailgating has to be probably the most annoying for me. I drive at the speed limit, my car has a box measuring speed and tbh I couldn't care less what other people think I'm gonna do the limit so I can get more money back! I wish they'd just understand this and realise by being so close to me it won't make me go faster.

Some man in his Audi was doing it the other day, when it went into 2 lanes he sped up (I was at the limit) and there was loads of police at the pub/restaurant at the other side of the road. they of course didn't say anything but it was nice seeing him break sharply

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Nice.Guy

- Roundabouts - when cars take the exit before the one you're sat at - WHY DIDN'T YOU INDICATE TO LET ME KNOW I COULD HAVE PULLED OUT?! :angry: This is most annoying when you've already been sat at the roundabout for a few minutes..

You do realise that being presumptious like that can cause accidents? And you would be the one at fault?

Original post by AdvStudy
I hate people who tailgate when you're doing the speed limit, makes it quite awkward (if that's the correct word) to drive.

I can't stand it when someone drives 20 in a 30. I was stuck behind some guy for just over 2 miles going 15-20 in a 30mph road. It became clear he was looking at road signs and wasn't local, but still annoying :|

Nearly crashed when someone didn't indicate to notify me they were going around a vehicle; so dangerous!

i always stick to the speed limit but anyone who tailgates me - i slow down a little bit more just to piss them off further. I cant stand being tailgated especially in town when im driving past four different schools

Original post by Imelda
Or people who drive like nobheads because they are on a mobile phone. Particularly if they run a red light with kids in the back seat because they are on the phone (seen recently), or when a queue of traffic is building behind a man doing 40(ish) in a national speed limit zone, chatting on his phone and smoking, completely oblivious to 50 cars behind him (also seen).

Women who do their make up whilst driving irritates me as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

THis bugs me no end - i HATE seeing drivers chatting on phones - makes me wish i was a Garda, ive give out fines left right and centre for it.

Other things that gets me is people who pull out on roundabout when your already on it. The worst was this one lady (shes about the only asian women who wears a hijab and she damn well known as being a terrible driver) who decided to pull out in front of me when im on the roundabout and shes about four feet from me. THats the only time ive really blasted the horn at someone and swore very vehemently.

Though hope you guys never drive in small town Ireland we have some driving habits you would hate
Reply 95
Saw an interesting way to try and deter tailgating today, someone had on the back of their car 'The closer you get, the slower I'll go', might have to try that myself!
Reply 96
Original post by silverbolt
You do realise that being presumptious like that can cause accidents? And you would be the one at fault?

What?
What?

Just because they are indicating to go in a direction - does not mean they will turn in that direction, they could have their indicator on by accident or change their mind.

If you pull out going by their signal they could hit you and you would be at fault as you pulled out on them.

If there is enough room/time to safely pull out then do so but dont take a signal as a garuntee.
Reply 98
Just because they are indicating to go in a direction - does not mean they will turn in that direction, they could have their indicator on by accident or change their mind.

If you pull out going by their signal they could hit you and you would be at fault as you pulled out on them.

If there is enough room/time to safely pull out then do so but dont take a signal as a garuntee.

I know this. But if they were indicating right and suddenly start indicating left to leave the exit - it at least tells you to get ready to pull out, and the moment they turn off the roundabout, you can pull out.

oh and btw, if you do this:

anyone who tailgates me - i slow down a little bit more just to piss them off further

then, as you said to me:

they could hit you and you would be at fault

oh and btw, if you do this:

then, as you said to me:

nope - the person behind will be at fault. Anyone who hits someone in the rear will be held at fault 99% of the time

Even if i hit the slammers never mind slowing my speed the person is supposed to leave enough to give themselves time to stop/avoid such a hazard.

Quick Reply

Latest