The Student Room Group

Really worried now...

After doing some research about jobs/schools etc, I came to the realization that I should be doing something that I like to do for a living, even if it doesn't pay as well. I'm not saying money isn't important because that way I can afford to do the things I want, but what good is a life where I hate my job that I do? What I'm struggling with here, is the fact that I don't know if computer science is the way to go for me. I LOVE technology and all the things that it has to offer, but do I really want to be working at a desk programming things all day? Not really. I would like to be doing something more business/technology related. Even something like app developing interests me, but I don't know if computer science is the way to go anymore.. Help me :/
Reply 1
Most course for computer science would cover app development. Best thing to do is to check out the uni website and read up about the course they offer.

I must admit I was in a similar position to yourself when I was trying to decide what to do. I was really undecided between Finance and Computing in the end up I went for Computing. I'm very interesting in technology but also interested in economics/ financial related things. While programming can be frustrating at times, it really is satisfying when you get something working and you can say to yourself "I made that happen". With technology advancing every day, you could end up programming some code to work with some new piece of technology, something which I think is pretty interesting and something I want to be a part of.

Technology is always changing and there's so many jobs out there for Computing graduates while most other graduates struggle for a job and this really influenced my decision when deciding what I wanted to do.

Every job has its down sides. It's really how you look at it. While sitting at a desk programming things all day doesn't sound that interesting, if you think about it, you might be programming lots of different things within a year and I'm pretty sure when you're programming your making the same thing over and over again.

I'm sure there's many others who have been in your position (like myself) and know what you're going through. I hope my post has helped.
Reply 2
Original post by mos182
Most course for computer science would cover app development. Best thing to do is to check out the uni website and read up about the course they offer.

I must admit I was in a similar position to yourself when I was trying to decide what to do. I was really undecided between Finance and Computing in the end up I went for Computing. I'm very interesting in technology but also interested in economics/ financial related things. While programming can be frustrating at times, it really is satisfying when you get something working and you can say to yourself "I made that happen". With technology advancing every day, you could end up programming some code to work with some new piece of technology, something which I think is pretty interesting and something I want to be a part of.

Technology is always changing and there's so many jobs out there for Computing graduates while most other graduates struggle for a job and this really influenced my decision when deciding what I wanted to do.

Every job has its down sides. It's really how you look at it. While sitting at a desk programming things all day doesn't sound that interesting, if you think about it, you might be programming lots of different things within a year and I'm pretty sure when you're programming your making the same thing over and over again.

I'm sure there's many others who have been in your position (like myself) and know what you're going through. I hope my post has helped.

It did help, thanks. I do like how there's so many different ways you can go with computer science, there's lots of options. It's just that business seems more interesting, but the pay's not as good and there's not as many options. Might as well go with computer science I guess!
Reply 3
Have you maybe considered doing Financial Computing? I know you do programming in that but don't know much more about the course. There's a couple in my programming lectures who are doing that.
Reply 4
Original post by tynanv
After doing some research about jobs/schools etc, I came to the realization that I should be doing something that I like to do for a living, even if it doesn't pay as well. I'm not saying money isn't important because that way I can afford to do the things I want, but what good is a life where I hate my job that I do? What I'm struggling with here, is the fact that I don't know if computer science is the way to go for me. I LOVE technology and all the things that it has to offer, but do I really want to be working at a desk programming things all day? Not really. I would like to be doing something more business/technology related. Even something like app developing interests me, but I don't know if computer science is the way to go anymore.. Help me :/

Computer science is more than just sitting at a desk all day. It's about sharing of ideas, imagination, collaboration and problem solving.

I have ADHD so sitting still is hard for me and yet i've not had a problem with it at all :smile:.
Computer Science opens up a lot of doors, its quite a versatile degree in the sense that you can do pretty much anything afterwards. If you dont like the course then dont do it at university but also remember you dont have to carry on with it after university, before my second year I was planning on going into finance/consulting but now ive pretty much completed second year im not too sure as I quite enjoyed the course this year.
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice guys. I do love the fact that computer science leads to so many different jobs outside of university. I've been going back and forth in my mind about it a lot recently but I think I will stick with it. Or at least see if I enjoy it next year.
Reply 7
Original post by tynanv

I feel almost exactly the same. I've accepted an offer for Business Information Systems at Cardiff, starting to doubt whether this is what I want to do.

Really can't see myself programming, implementing software/hardware into organisations, or managing IT teams.

I've always liked ICT, and its particularly my favourite A-Level (will come out with an A). But do I really want to do it at uni, I dont know. Really not sure what other course I could do at uni, and I don't really see myself going down any specific career path.

Do I just go for the degree and stick it out, or what?
Reply 8
Original post by FishyTim
I feel almost exactly the same. I've accepted an offer for Business Information Systems at Cardiff, starting to doubt whether this is what I want to do.

Really can't see myself programming, implementing software/hardware into organisations, or managing IT teams.

I've always liked ICT, and its particularly my favourite A-Level (will come out with an A). But do I really want to do it at uni, I dont know. Really not sure what other course I could do at uni, and I don't really see myself going down any specific career path.

Do I just go for the degree and stick it out, or what?

Could you change to Computer Science once you start? I know people who have changed courses plenty even part way through their degree and had to repeat years for it. If you're more interested in computer science you could go for that. I'd say you can find a career in an area which appeals to you at least vaguely and then aim for that on paper but know that it's not set in stone and that a career path should usually remain fluid. I would keep an open mind and pursue what interests you the most and know that anything worthwhile will be hard work.
Reply 9
Original post by tynanv

I went a software development route through my courses etc, and I am currently in a helpdesk role (what alot of people will be in when they graduate IT) and tbh, I hate it, the job is boring as hell, you hav to deal with angry or annoyed people on the phone all day, usualy calling over trivial matters, and when you are not doing that there isnt really that much to do lol (in my job anyway) like I have some networking responsibilities but they dont take long.

Anyway what I'm getting at is I sympathise 100% because I hate my job so much, and whilst I still consider programming as a job, I regret everything I have done to this point purely for the fact its ended up in this job lol

Now I get paid well, considering I dont even have a degree (HND) I have enough money to live the lifestyle of my choosing, but the time at work makes me severly unhappy,

Not meaning to put you off IT or anything but low level IT jobs are really bad, I mean I cant say what a programming job would be like, ive only ever done projects in college etc as goes that,

But, this is the worst job ive ever had, and ive worked on a farm before lol, so yeah I am currently lookin at my other options, have done a fitness instructor certificate and a business managmenetr advanced diploma which both took like 6 months - 1 year

So im not saying you will deffo follow what happened to me but, if the same thing happened you might end up changing paths also,

Be 100% sure of what you want, and in the end of the day, a degree in anything looks great, but you mightent get the "new job" you want if your degree is irrelivant, i.e. computer science grad tryna get into being a vet lol,

Bad example but you get the jist, hope I havent filled you with dread, just giving a fair warning to what can happen to the select few,

Just to point out, I've never had problem getting IT jobs due to not having a degree, its always been about relevant work experience, though now I have a full year of that doin application support and network support and several months doing web design for a local charity.

That being said I still feel fortunate to have a job and be earning well over average for someone our age.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending