The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

BA Hons Business Studies (Economics)

I am going to be studying Business Studies with Open University but unsure of what pathway to take.

I was never interested in Business when I was at school but since I am now an Assistant Manager of a business I understand why this could be a very useful degree to have.

Has anyone else done this with the OU? How did they find it? Am I likely to struggle having never studied Business Studies before? Is Economics a good pathway to choose?

I do 45 hours per week so I am considering doing 30 units in the first year to break me in to it. Would it be easy to do 60 around a full time job?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by danielfleetwood
I am going to be studying Business Studies with Open University but unsure of what pathway to take.

I was never interested in Business when I was at school but since I am now an Assistant Manager of a business I understand why this could be a very useful degree to have.

Has anyone else done this with the OU? How did they find it? Am I likely to struggle having never studied Business Studies before? Is Economics a good pathway to choose?

I do 45 hours per week so I am considering doing 30 units in the first year to break me in to it. Would it be easy to do 60 around a full time job?

Thanks.

I am currently taking business studies with accounting, but I have taken all the level 1 modules that you will take, and 60 credits took me about 15-20 hours of study a week, so I personally would not be able to have a full time job.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by danielfleetwood

Thanks.

Those pathways are confusing I think you'd want to be looking at the standard, accounting as well as the economic pathways. Standard gives you the most freedom to choose modules. Accounting looks good for the detailed hands on of business. Economics looks a bit more wide ranging with plenty of economic theory.

60 credits can be a lot when you're starting out but it is doable. 30 credits will ease you in but you'll have to pick up the pace later if you want your degree in a reasonable time period. 360 creds looks an awful lot when you're still doing level 1 modules.
Reply 3
Have just finished a BA (Hons) Business Studies and I began without any prior business studies knowledge. Like you, the management position made it attractive as well as career opportunities.

2 hours a day average is what you're aiming for, and what I did, for the most part. In the first year after B120, I left a gap of 3 months before realising that it would take 6-7 years if that was always the case. After that, I stacked my modules one after the other and upped my yearly average from 60 to around 90, sometimes more if module overlapped.

The net result was it took me 4.5 years and freed me up at work and home. 60 points around a full-time job is fine - especially if you'll be having a 2-3 month break after it before the next module.
Reply 4
Have just finished a BA (Hons) Business Studies and I began without any prior business studies knowledge. Like you, the management position made it attractive as well as career opportunities.

2 hours a day average is what you're aiming for, and what I did, for the most part. In the first year after B120, I left a gap of 3 months before realising that it would take 6-7 years if that was always the case. After that, I stacked my modules one after the other and upped my yearly average from 60 to around 90, sometimes more if module overlapped. The net result was it took me 4.5 years and freed me up at work and home.

60 points around a full-time job is fine - especially if you'll be having a 2-3 month break before the next module. Also, depending on how you pick it up, you could easily find yourself studying less than the guide of 16 hours per week especially when you get to level 2 and 3 where theories and concepts are repeated in certain areas.

Most important for me was to have an interest and enjoy the topic. When times got tough and had to make sacrifices, it helped that the subject matter was engaging.
Reply 5
Hi,

I am thinking to start Business studies at OU, just to improve my chances to find a decent job... I have a degree in finance and banking, but because it's not from UK no one really seems interested in, although i most probably have some catch up to do :smile:
So...my question is ... As result of a diploma at OU in business studies, did anyone find a nice job?
thanks and good luck to you all

Quick Reply

Latest