The Student Room Group

Terms of offer confusing/ambiguous?

Hey... My firm choice has given me this offer:

"This offer is subject to your obtaining GCE A level Grade A in Economics and Grade A in any of Mathematics Further Mathematics and Grade A excluding General Studies "

I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics

Can I get As in Economics, Further Maths and Maths? Or is that last bit "an A in Maths OR FM, plus one other"?

I know it's fairly irrelevant, because I should just work for 4 As, but I was wondering if anyone else has had confusing offers, or knows of someone who thought they met their offer but didn't? A friend applying for Maths at Warwick got an offer he couldn't understand, even after calling them
basically you need 3A's one of which can be in EITHER maths or FM ...and obviously excluding general studies
Reply 2
A in Economics
A in Physics
A in Maths/Further Maths

That's what I understand from it :smile:
Reply 3
You need to get

1) an A in Economics.

and

2) an A in EITHER Further Mathematics -or- Mathematics

and

3) an A in Physics -or- Mathematics (if not already used in option 2 above) -or- Further Mathematics (if not already used in option 2 above)

General Studies doesn't count at all.
Reply 4
Quor?

"This offer is subject to your obtaining GCE A level Grade A in Economics and Grade A in any of Mathematics Further Mathematics and Grade A excluding General Studies "

I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics

Can I get As in Economics, Further Maths and Maths? Or is that last bit "an A in Maths OR FM, plus one other"?

I know it's fairly irrelevant, because I should just work for 4 As, but I was wondering if anyone else has had confusing offers, or knows of someone who thought they met their offer but didn't? A friend applying for Maths at Warwick got an offer he couldn't understand, even after calling them

I also got the same impression as knogle. But you could email the university and verify. Their wording is not quite clear.

I had a few confusing offers from Warwick and UCL in which they mixed combinations for maths, further maths and maths S paper. Like - get AAA in any order; or AAB with a B in FM and A in maths; or AA with A in maths n FM; or A in maths and S Paper Merit. (this was all from Warwick). UCL had less options but similar style. I talked to someone from UCL when they visited India and the lady said that they basically want a clear indication that I'm strong in maths.
Reply 5
feanor_telamon
I also got the same impression as knogle. But you could email the university and verify. Their wording is not quite clear.

I had a few confusing offers from Warwick and UCL in which they mixed combinations for maths, further maths and maths S paper. Like - get AAA in any order; or AAB with a B in FM and A in maths; or AA with A in maths n FM; or A in maths and S Paper Merit. (this was all from Warwick). UCL had less options but similar style. I talked to someone from UCL when they visited India and the lady said that they basically want a clear indication that I'm strong in maths.

Warwick actually made an offer with 'S' paper Merit? Wow okay. :tongue:;
Reply 6
Knogle
Warwick actually made an offer with 'S' paper Merit? Wow okay. :tongue:;

Very weird that one. A in maths and S Paper grade 2. Nothing else. Apparently, warwick's MORSE is competitive.

Or maybe I've mixed up both university's offers.
Reply 7
feanor_telamon
Very weird that one. A in maths and S Paper grade 2. Nothing else. Apparently, warwick's MORSE is competitive.

Or maybe I've mixed up both university's offers.

Oh yep, (M)MORSE is an excellent course. Top notch seriously, I'd opt for that anytime after Oxbridge. They're serious about maths. :cool:
Reply 8
Ya, I honestly would have gone for that over Imperial except that some of the Indian scholarships I'm looking for are only for Oxbridge and London Univs.
Reply 9
Knogle
You need to get

1) an A in Economics.

and

2) an A in EITHER Further Mathematics -or- Mathematics

and

3) an A in Physics -or- Mathematics (if not already used in option 2 above) -or- Further Mathematics (if not already used in option 2 above)

General Studies doesn't count at all.

Or are they asking for As in Economics, Physics and one of Maths/Further Maths? Some places won't take Maths and Further Maths, are they asking for one or the other?
Reply 10
*soph*
Or are they asking for As in Economics, Physics and one of Maths/Further Maths? Some places won't take Maths and Further Maths, are they asking for one or the other?

I don't interpret it that way, but it's best that the OP contact the university directly to clarify this.
Reply 11
*soph*

They can't be asking for that, as the way it's worked out means it's impossible to get an A in further maths without getting an A in normal maths
Reply 12
Thats actually not true... not with my board anyway. The automatic arrangement of modules maximises the Maths grade, yes, but you are allowed to combine your modules in any legal combination.

Latest

Trending

Trending