The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Costa forever! :smile: I think Starbucks is overhyped, but I'll admit the coloured cups are pretty cool and they write ur names on them :colondollar:
Yh and I like Costa's panini, hot chocolate and coolers (not all at the same time tho :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I prefer Cinnemon, maybe Caffe Nero. Costa coffee > Starbucks but they are both guff. Costa pay their taxes, so go there
Costa :tongue: (Or Pret)
Reply 63
I work at Costa, but I'm leaving in 2 weeks to go travelling! From working there I've realised just how much we overcharge... Especially on the iced drinks :colondollar:
Reply 64
Starbuckksss alllll the way!!
Starbucks don't bother paying their tax...so as a matter of elimination..Costa!
Reply 66
Generally when I'm in UK I prefer going into a pub that has an espresso maker, preferably one that is independently owned and somewhat upper-middle class in clientèle.

However if I'm in an unfamiliar area then I tend to stick with Starbucks as I find the quality to be more consistent and they seem to better listen to instructions.

In Norway I generally only go to independent and either Norwegian or Swedish owned places only for a drink as I believe it is important to support local businesses.
I like costa better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
I prefer Costa, but their coffee still isn't amazing. I work at an independent café and the coffee there is absolutely amazing, it's much stronger than Costa and has a MUCH nicer taste! AND I get it free when I'm working :biggrin:
I have been to both costa and Starbucks and I have to say I really don't like how costa coffee tastes, their food is also way too sweet in my opinion. Starbucks is way better, both for coffee and food.
I always heard such nice things about costa so I really wanted to like it and after forcing myself to give their drinks another go, I still didn't like them :frown:
I like Costa's vanilla lattes.

I also like their loyalty card. I think I have enough points for 6 or 7 free coffees.
Both don't train their staff very well. Starbucks stopped trying years ago as far as quality goes. Just a mention it costs both less than 40p to make you a double shot coffee with steamed milk. Atleast Dick Turpin wore a mask.
(edited 10 years ago)
I did work experience in Costa and they showed me how they make the drinks. They don't water it down at all. They use a 2-4 shots of coffee depending on the size. Anyway, Starbucks is famous for having crappy, weak coffee. I do agree with you about Caffe Nero though, I really like it there :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by James A
Hi guys, I'm pretty curious to see what TSR's perception is of coffee and which coffee shop you prefer. The two big players are Costa and Starbucks, but can anyone give an informative opinion on which coffee tastes better and also feel free to name another coffee chain if you wish.

Also, which beverage do you order?

I prefer espresso shots as they wake me up real good, however for a nice long chat with a friend, I would have a coffee/mocha.

I'm not a coffee shop regular :colondollar: :teehee:

In my opinion both Costa and Starbucks are great coffee shops and I'll alternate between the two but I do think there are some clear distinctions.

1) The Atmosphere - Starbucks has a slightly more relaxed feel to it, the one in our town has several large sofas which is really comforting (although you're lucky if you actually get to claim a sofa since they are very popular!). In terms of customers, from my observations, there seem to be quite a few business people who take laptops into Starbucks and work independently. Costa is a more bubbly atmosphere I feel, popular with families, couples and friends and is generally quite social.

2) The Service - When there is enough staff on hand, Costa is usually very quick at serving you drinks which is always nice - especially if you're in a rush. Starbucks on the other hand tends consist of longer queues and it can be frustrating to wait (unless you happen to be waiting for a sofa to come available, then queuing can buy you extra time...)

3) The Food - personally I think Costa wins with its cake selection. Everything always looks fresh and perhaps more importantly, tastes fresh. If you haven't tried the Raspberry and White Chocolate muffin, I'd definitely recommend it! I can't comment as much on the food at Starbucks apart from the fact it seems quite expensive (over £3 for a panini). Although I once had a cinnabon from there. Bad memory. It was very dense and 'heavy' so in hindsight I wish I had gone to Costa and had another favourite of mine - the chocolate tiffin.

4) The Drinks - OK so this is the most important one. I'm a big fan of hot chocolates and personally I think they are equally as good from both coffee shops, however, Costa's hot chocolates do seem to have a smoother taste so if I had a choice, I would choose Costa if I wanted a hot chocolate.
Lattes from both Costa and Starbucks are very nice, but again, I think Costa has the edge. Starbucks have recently publicised a new drink - the Macchiato - has anyone tried it? It's basically a cross between a normal coffee and a latte but it is so nice. There are three syrup flavours: caramel, hazelnut and vanilla - I've tried caramel (it is seriously like being in heaven) but have yet to try the other two because they keep selling out! To try and give an incentive to customers, Starbucks give you a card and once you collect 3 stamps, you get a free Macchiato, in ANY size! (So of course, when I completed my card the other day, I asked for the largest size possible!!). If you're looking for a special and interesting drink, everyone should try the Macchiato. Don't know if anyone tried Costa's themed Christmas drinks but they were very special also. Finally, one thing I do prefer at Starbucks is that you get to put your own cinnamon/chocolate sprinkles on your coffee - which I might point out, is unlimited... Whereas in Costa, they seem to hide their sprinkles as though they are an item to be rationed.

But which do I prefer?

As a whole, I personally prefer Costa to Starbucks because a) it's cheaper, b) the drinks taste slightly better and the food is of a higher quality, and c) you can guarantee a good social atmosphere.
However, if you're looking for a more relaxed environment to wind-down and want to perhaps try a different drink to your usual coffee, head to Starbucks.
Reply 74
Original post by _KC_
In my opinion both Costa and Starbucks are great coffee shops and I'll alternate between the two but I do think there are some clear distinctions.

1) The Atmosphere - Starbucks has a slightly more relaxed feel to it, the one in our town has several large sofas which is really comforting (although you're lucky if you actually get to claim a sofa since they are very popular!). In terms of customers, from my observations, there seem to be quite a few business people who take laptops into Starbucks and work independently. Costa is a more bubbly atmosphere I feel, popular with families, couples and friends and is generally quite social.

2) The Service - When there is enough staff on hand, Costa is usually very quick at serving you drinks which is always nice - especially if you're in a rush. Starbucks on the other hand tends consist of longer queues and it can be frustrating to wait (unless you happen to be waiting for a sofa to come available, then queuing can buy you extra time...)

3) The Food - personally I think Costa wins with its cake selection. Everything always looks fresh and perhaps more importantly, tastes fresh. If you haven't tried the Raspberry and White Chocolate muffin, I'd definitely recommend it! I can't comment as much on the food at Starbucks apart from the fact it seems quite expensive (over £3 for a panini). Although I once had a cinnabon from there. Bad memory. It was very dense and 'heavy' so in hindsight I wish I had gone to Costa and had another favourite of mine - the chocolate tiffin.

4) The Drinks - OK so this is the most important one. I'm a big fan of hot chocolates and personally I think they are equally as good from both coffee shops, however, Costa's hot chocolates do seem to have a smoother taste so if I had a choice, I would choose Costa if I wanted a hot chocolate.
Lattes from both Costa and Starbucks are very nice, but again, I think Costa has the edge. Starbucks have recently publicised a new drink - the Macchiato - has anyone tried it? It's basically a cross between a normal coffee and a latte but it is so nice. There are three syrup flavours: caramel, hazelnut and vanilla - I've tried caramel (it is seriously like being in heaven) but have yet to try the other two because they keep selling out! To try and give an incentive to customers, Starbucks give you a card and once you collect 3 stamps, you get a free Macchiato, in ANY size! (So of course, when I completed my card the other day, I asked for the largest size possible!!). If you're looking for a special and interesting drink, everyone should try the Macchiato. Don't know if anyone tried Costa's themed Christmas drinks but they were very special also. Finally, one thing I do prefer at Starbucks is that you get to put your own cinnamon/chocolate sprinkles on your coffee - which I might point out, is unlimited... Whereas in Costa, they seem to hide their sprinkles as though they are an item to be rationed.

But which do I prefer?

As a whole, I personally prefer Costa to Starbucks because a) it's cheaper, b) the drinks taste slightly better and the food is of a higher quality, and c) you can guarantee a good social atmosphere.
However, if you're looking for a more relaxed environment to wind-down and want to perhaps try a different drink to your usual coffee, head to Starbucks.

Excellent review, very well informed :biggrin:

I'll rep you tomorrow :smile: (currently outta rep)
Reply 75
Original post by James A
Excellent review, very well informed :biggrin:

I'll rep you tomorrow :smile: (currently outta rep)

Thank you, pleased you liked the review! :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by und3niable_
There wasn't then but is now. There's one in Harrow (Gtr London) where I'm from. It's the only one in Europe!

There Dunkin Donuts in Germany! I remember taking a "Captain America" drink. :tongue:

I think Costa is way nicer than Starbucks. Starbucks is too noisy, too expensive... The iced latte at Costa are gRRReat! :colondollar:
Reply 77
My all time favourite coffee is a creme brulee latte and you can only get that flavouring in Costa but I do agree the coffee itself does taste a lot better and smoother from Starbucks. In Starbucks I usually get a caramel latte.
Reply 78
Between Costa and Starbucks - Costa wins because its slightly cheaper and nicer atmosphere but CAFE NERO is the one guys. The drinks are LITERALLY the best, you cannot fault them :biggrin:
Original post by Meduleysi
There Dunkin Donuts in Germany! I remember taking a "Captain America" drink. :tongue:

I think Costa is way nicer than Starbucks. Starbucks is too noisy, too expensive... The iced latte at Costa are gRRReat! :colondollar:

Ahh they said the one in my town was the only one in europe lol. And yeah starbucks I'm not too keen on! What's the iced latte like?

Latest