The Student Room Group

What speed do you drive at on the motorway?

Poll

How fast do you normally drive on the motorway?(mph)

Just wondering what the average speed people normally tend to stick to is.

Most people tend to do a little over 70mph tbh and the government even is thinking about upping it to 80.

I tend to do around 70/75 whilst cruising since it's a nice mixture of fuel economy and speed.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
unless it is busy, I know many people who go well over 100 as they see no danger in doing so. (this includes friends and parents :biggrin:)
I'm presuming JC drives well over the speed limit, hah
Reply 3
Original post by James A
I'm presuming JC drives well over the speed limit, hah

I drive to the conditions.
If I'm towing then i'll be sat in lane three @ 50-60 with the trucks. if I'm not and the volume of traffic / weather allows it I'll keep up with everyone else in lane 1 and 2.
Reply 4
Only just started driving on the motorway - not brave enough to go a lot over atm...
Usually ~70-75 in normal conditions, but I stray closer to 80 if the road's pretty quiet. Funnily enough, I was thinking about the speed limit change proposals earlier; I'm leaning towards support, but I'm not entirely decided on the issue.
Probably about 70, got big brother (Co-Op) watching me and my car shakes and screams at anything above 70 really. Plus, I usually drive on the M25 so I'll hit a traffic jam/roadworks at some point so there's no point in going much faster.
Reply 7
I stick to the flow of the traffic and try not to go over 10% which is 77, sometimes fall into 80 when it's mega dead at night and I just want to get home.
Reply 8
Hope the government does increase the limit to 80. If only we had autobahns...
Reply 9
Original post by JC.
If I'm towing then i'll be sat in lane three @ 50-60 with the trucks. if I'm not and the volume of traffic / weather allows it I'll keep up with everyone else in lane 1 and 2.

Haha, its funny how some parts of the world drive on the opposite side.
I tend to stick at just shy of 70, unless I'm overtaking in which case I'll speed up to about 75-80 so that I don't have to linger in the outside lane(s) for too long - there's always gonna be someone going faster that ends up jammed up your backside when you drive a 1994 Corsa...
Reply 11
Personally I drive to the speed of the lane I'm in which normally (I tend to drive the same roads to work etc) is around 75-85 maybe more dependant on the conditions and whose on the road
Reply 12
Original post by llii
Personally I drive to the speed of the lane I'm in which normally (I tend to drive the same roads to work etc) is around 75-85 maybe more dependant on the conditions and whose on the road

I agree with driving at the speed of the lane you're in. Driving a diesel Golf I try to stay at around 105kph (around 65mph) in whatever lane is doing that speed as it is quite fuel efficient, the car fuel efficiency meter says I do 68mpg on average at that speed. However, if I choose to overtake a lorry which is itself overtaking another lorry and go into the inside lane then I'd up it to 120+kph depending on whether there's anyone behind me in a hurry.
I don't get it, there's speed cameras all over the motorways EVERYWHERE, how is everyone getting away with speeding at 80+ which is a LOT of drivers!?
Reply 14
Original post by Anthony.BF
I don't get it, there's speed cameras all over the motorways EVERYWHERE, how is everyone getting away with speeding at 80+ which is a LOT of drivers!?

Not everywhere there isn't. I drive an 80mile round trip for my commute to work, all motorways. Not a single speed camera along the way.

As for the speed, generally 70-75 (indicated - don't know what it really is), car's economy is best balanced by actually getting somewhere. Although coming back from work tonight was the thickest fog I've ever experienced so was down around the 55 area - could barely see 3 cats eyes in front.
Original post by Drewski
Not everywhere there isn't. I drive an 80mile round trip for my commute to work, all motorways. Not a single speed camera along the way.

As for the speed, generally 70-75 (indicated - don't know what it really is), car's economy is best balanced by actually getting somewhere. Although coming back from work tonight was the thickest fog I've ever experienced so was down around the 55 area - could barely see 3 cats eyes in front.

What stretch of motorway is that mate? and are you 100% sure there's no cameras? 70-75 indicated is probably 68-73 indicated, something like that
Reply 16
Original post by Anthony.BF
What stretch of motorway is that mate? and are you 100% sure there's no cameras? 70-75 indicated is probably 68-73 indicated, something like that

A1M and small stretches of the M62. No speed cameras. North Yorkshire Police don't use them, and the M62 only has regular cameras once over to the Lancashire side.
Reply 17
Original post by JC.

Good call. Most people with trailers dont even realise their limit is 60 on a motorway. Number of times i've seen people going 80+ with trailers bouncing all over the place...

Keeping up with everyone in lane 2 is a 75-85 then, lane 1, 85-95 on most days, you reckon?

Original post by FrogInABog
Usually ~70-75 in normal conditions, but I stray closer to 80 if the road's pretty quiet. Funnily enough, I was thinking about the speed limit change proposals earlier; I'm leaning towards support, but I'm not entirely decided on the issue.

Tbh a lot of people have implied that even if there is a raise then they would just be stricter on the new laws with an increase in speed cameras etc so everyone will still go around 80 anyway which most people already do...
Usually between 70 and 77 :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 19
Original post by Motorbiker
Good call. Most people with trailers dont even realise their limit is 60 on a motorway. Number of times i've seen people going 80+ with trailers bouncing all over the place...

Keeping up with everyone in lane 2 is a 75-85 then, lane 1, 85-95 on most days, you reckon?

I'd concur with you, save for lane 2 tends to be from 60mph upwards, certainly when you've got dueling 44 ton artics! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending