The Student Room Group

Sixth form applications

Hi!

I am in the process of applying to sixth form and would be really grateful if someone could tell me more about the application process etc.

I would also like to apply to Bradford grammar and cannot attend without a bursary so would like advice on this area also. (Our household income for family of eight is around 25000 year and my predicted GCSE grades are all A*, if that changes anything).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by momomomo123
Hi!

I am in the process of applying to sixth form and would be really grateful if someone could tell me more about the application process etc.

I would also like to apply to Bradford grammar and cannot attend without a bursary so would like advice on this area also. (Our household income for family of eight is around 25000 year and my predicted GCSE grades are alll A*, if that changes anything).

Hi,

I went to bgs and my parents had to apply for a bursary for me to attend; it's a fairly straight forward process, you've just got to pass the exams and prove with evidence of your household income that you're eligible for a bursary. How much depends on your specific household income and what your parents earn after tax etc. The first person to contact would be the registrar who deals with admissions:
http://www.bradfordgrammar.com/senior-school/contact/Index.html

Good luck, it's a very good school! :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by MissCellaneous94
Hi,

I went to bgs and my parents had to apply for a bursary for me to attend; it's a fairly straight forward process, you've just got to pass the exams and prove with evidence of your household income that you're eligible for a bursary. How much depends on your specific household income and what your parents earn after tax etc. The first person to contact would be the registrar who deals with admissions:
http://www.bradfordgrammar.com/senior-school/contact/Index.html

Good luck, it's a very good school! :wink:

How much could I expect with my parents annual income? Does the bursary ever go anywhere near 80 - 90%?
How much could I expect with my parents annual income? Does the bursary ever go anywhere near 80 - 90%?

Not too sure but ours was just under 30k and I got 2/3 paid for, leaving just over 3k to pay on our part. This might help, but contact the bursar for more info:

http://www.bgs.bradford.sch.uk/senior-school/about-the-school/Admissions%20&%20Fees/Index.html

http://www.bgs.bradford.sch.uk/senior-school/about-the-school/Bursaries/Index.html
Reply 4
I am actually starting y12 September 2014 so when should I apply for the bursary?
I am actually starting y12 September 2014 so when should I apply for the bursary?

I'd contact them asap just in case to get the ball rolling but another few months say September should be fine.
Reply 6
Thanks. I sent them an email and they are going to post me an information pack.
Does the level of the bursary have anything to do with academic performance?
Thanks. I sent them an email and they are going to post me an information pack.
Does the level of the bursary have anything to do with academic performance?

To an extent, yes. If you pass the exam, great, but if you do particularly well they'll be more inclined to offer you a bigger bursary.
Reply 8
Did you go there for sixth form? And do you think it is easy for a new y12 student to fit in and take part in clubs, societies, school council and prefect etc?
Reply 9
Original post by MissCellaneous94
To an extent, yes. If you pass the exam, great, but if you do particularly well they'll be more inclined to offer you a bigger bursary.

What is the inteview like for sixth form?
What is the inteview like for sixth form?

Fine, they just want to see you've got something about you and will basically get your head down, work hard and contribute to the school. Nothing to worry about :smile:
Did you go there for sixth form? And do you think it is easy for a new y12 student to fit in and take part in clubs, societies, school council and prefect etc?

Just seen this, sorry! I started in year 9, 3rd year of senior school and I was always busy with sport etc and I was a prefect in upper sixth. There's plenty of opportunities whatever you want to do. There's some great tours all over the world and trips and exchanges. I had a few friends there already but there'll be others in the same position :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Bump

Quick Reply