The Student Room Group

Finances and buying a car...

I was told at interview that having a car was 'almost essential'... Of course they can't make you have a car, but I could be facing a big commute each day. I know most providers will try their best to accommodate those without cars, but if there are several of us without cars, there will be a limited amount they can do...

Anyway, my question is regarding finances and buying a car. I'll get a loan and grant from SF and the teaching bursary (either £4000 or £9000, I'm a borderline case at the moment!) but, of course, I won't get this until after I've started my course. I'll have to buy a car before I start my course and haven't the money to do so.

Is anyone else in this situation? Very few places will offer loans to those who aren't in employment and the bank of mummy and daddy may not be an option.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has been able to resolve this pickle :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
lol donno about your actual question, but would say remove the first word of the second line in your question..I have 9 warning points due to swearing etc, and your thread will get removed sooner or later :biggrin:
Reply 2
if you are put really far away, most unis will put you on the placement with somebody (whether from the same subject as you or not) who also drives, and so would be expected to get lifts there and back.

However, this is often dependent on the subject you are studying to teach - some subjects have a very low taking of student teachers.
I would suggest emailing the uni you are applying to... Maybe even wait until you find out what placement you are on.
I'm presuming you're living/will be living somewhere that allows you to get to the uni without use of a car pretty easily?
If this is the case, i would definitely recommend waiting until you find out WHERE your first placement is and then get a car if you decide you need to... As you are indeed correct about when you receive the payments for bursaries etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Danya1
lol donno about your actual question, but would say remove the first word of the second line in your question..I have 9 warning points due to swearing etc, and your thread will get removed sooner or later :biggrin:

have done :smile: thanks :biggrin:
If a car is a huge financial restraint then would you consider riding a moped? extremely economical and tackles both the issue of travel time and the issue of finance.
They are saying that because they want as many people to go as far away as possible without them having to pay for it. i.e Taxi's, coaches, train journeys.

I drove to all my placements and it was 20p a mile and rose by 5p per passenger and this was only to those near the university, if they were nearer my home I got nothing; one was an hour away and cost a fortune in fuel! Whereas people who got public transport or coaches put on by the university had a much smaller financial output as the university had to pay more...hence them wanting more drivers!

If you can get a car then although it is more expensive, I would definitely recommend it as you can arrive/leave when you want which is so much better than relying on others, it is a great freedom!
Original post by balloon_parade
They are saying that because they want as many people to go as far away as possible without them having to pay for it. i.e Taxi's, coaches, train journeys.

I drove to all my placements and it was 20p a mile and rose by 5p per passenger and this was only to those near the university, if they were nearer my home I got nothing; one was an hour away and cost a fortune in fuel! Whereas people who got public transport or coaches put on by the university had a much smaller financial output as the university had to pay more...hence them wanting more drivers!

If you can get a car then although it is more expensive, I would definitely recommend it as you can arrive/leave when you want which is so much better than relying on others, it is a great freedom!

I dont think anyone on my course got any help with travel costs. The only help we got was putting people who didn't drive in the same school as someone who did!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
Original post by myblueheaven339
I dont think anyone on my course got any help with travel costs. The only help we got was putting people who didn't drive in the same school as someone who did!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Original post by balloon_parade

Yeah, not all unis help with it: mine doesn't.
Reply 8
Could bank of mum and dad lend you say £500 to get a cheap run around?? Pay them back when SF comes in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending