The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yeah that's something I would like to know as well. The uni wasn't able to evaluate my application fully because of some miscommunication about my grades:s-smilie: besides they told me they couldn't offer me a place for next year at all because of age matters:frown:... So I was wondering if it would be useful to try clearing...
Reply 2
I had an assembly about this the other day so decided I would listen for once lol...

Apparently, if you're going through clearing you have to accpt to place to start that year, so if you want a gap year then you have to wait for the following year's clearing.

There probably would be some exceptions to that, though, perhaps from specific universities.

Joe
Reply 3
Joe's wrong.

If you can get them to offer you a deferred place, then you can accept that. The uni might not be willing to talk to you, or they might ask you to wait til everyone else is sorted first. Or, you can go through Clearing and then defer afterwards.
Reply 4
You probably can do so, but I don't see the point. Why not re-apply next year through the regular UCAS process? This way you will be applying with confirmed 'A' level grades and hence know what range of unis to apply to. You will also have much greater access to universities instead of the limited number available in Clearing.
Reply 5
Knogle
You probably can do so, but I don't see the point. Why not re-apply next year through the regular UCAS process? This way you will be applying with confirmed 'A' level grades and hence know what range of unis to apply to. You will also have much greater access to universities instead of the limited number available in Clearing.

For me the reason is that I have a backup choice in the Netherlands and I don't like the risk of taking a gap year, get rejected again and waste one year:wink: So I prefer the course in the UK but not enough to take a gap year and try again next year...
Reply 6
Knogle

But then you have to pay another £15, and risk being rejected. Clearing isn't the mad scramble it's made out to be, and last year there were 121 pages of Clearing supplement in the Independent (it still didn't kill my huge spider!). That's 121 pages of courses in small type, so that's a lot of courses!
Reply 7
Juno
But then you have to pay another £15, and risk being rejected. Clearing isn't the mad scramble it's made out to be, and last year there were 121 pages of Clearing supplement in the Independent (it still didn't kill my huge spider!). That's 121 pages of courses in small type, so that's a lot of courses!

£15 isn't a whole lot obviously. :wink:

And risk being rejected? Well you apply to 2 darn safe universities that you'd anyway apply for through Clearing this year. And this is possible since you'd already have your grades at hand. You still have another 4 options to play with.

Latest

Trending

Trending