The Student Room Group

Imperial College London Postgraduate Offer Holders 2013

Hey, everyone :smile:
Just wanted to know if anyone else has a postgraduate offer from Imperial College London & the course you have opted for!
Mine:-
Course: MSc Strategic Marketing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Heyy! :smile:

I have an offer from Imperial but sadly due to the high fees, I'm gonna have to reject the offer. It doesn't help that Imperial clearly doesn't care about its postgrads accommodation. Gradpad might be gorgeous but given the high university fees, the accommodation should have been made more affordable. I'm really put off by Imperial for this reason. Undergrad accommodation is nice AND cheap while postgrads are expected to be buried under student loans to get decent accommodation.

The other day I emailed an undergrad hall asking whether they would be willing to accommodate postgrad students. They declined (and perhaps rightfully so) but then linked me up to the gradpad people which was quite frustrating because the undegrad accommodation was hardly 150 pounds a week while gradpad starts at 190 a week. So no matter how nice the gradpad people are and no matter how nice gradpad looks in pictures - its all irrelevent.

They clearly don't care about their postgrads. I'm sorry for ranting. I hope I haven't offended anyone. I was, and still am, a huge fan of Imperial. But the accommodation situation has really put me OFF.
Reply 2
Hi --

I just got an offer for the MSc in Strategic Marketing too! pretty excited about it :smile:

I am a little worried about the accommodation situation though... It is gonna be a head ache finding an affordable place to live.
Hey guys.

I've gotten an offer from Imperial for the MSc Petroleum Geophysics but I agree with Anon0 in that there's very limited support from Imperial.

I've also got an offer for a similar course from Leeds which I think currently I'm more likely to go to. But it all depends on funding really so I could be at Imperial this October.
Reply 4
I got a scholarship to do a PhD at the Imperial (Department of Surgery and Cancer). I am still waiting to hear about the conditions but hopefully moving to London in September.
I'm an EU student, however, at the moment doing my BSc in Scotland.

And I think I will look for flats in the private sector.
Reply 5
Hey guys!!
I'm an international applicant and I was made an offer for the Msc in Epidemiology... but to meet the conditions I have to make a deposit of 2600 pounds aprox :s which is the 10% of the total fee...
Does everybody have to make that deposit to get the unconditional offer?
I'm looking for funding now... but do you know what happens if I don't get funding to study at ICL? Do they return the money back?
Please help!
Reply 6
Original post by Anon0
Heyy! :smile:

I have an offer from Imperial but sadly due to the high fees, I'm gonna have to reject the offer. It doesn't help that Imperial clearly doesn't care about its postgrads accommodation. Gradpad might be gorgeous but given the high university fees, the accommodation should have been made more affordable. I'm really put off by Imperial for this reason. Undergrad accommodation is nice AND cheap while postgrads are expected to be buried under student loans to get decent accommodation.

The other day I emailed an undergrad hall asking whether they would be willing to accommodate postgrad students. They declined (and perhaps rightfully so) but then linked me up to the gradpad people which was quite frustrating because the undegrad accommodation was hardly 150 pounds a week while gradpad starts at 190 a week. So no matter how nice the gradpad people are and no matter how nice gradpad looks in pictures - its all irrelevent.

They clearly don't care about their postgrads. I'm sorry for ranting. I hope I haven't offended anyone. I was, and still am, a huge fan of Imperial. But the accommodation situation has really put me OFF.

Yes, I completely agree with you. The accommodation for PostGrads is very limited. However, I am completely impressed with the university, the course and the facilitates at gradpad so might just accept this offer. My other option is Warwick Business School but I feel as an International Student, I don't want to isolate myself in Coventry. Any opinion?

Best Wishes
Reply 7
Original post by lucyh2o
Hi --

I just got an offer for the MSc in Strategic Marketing too! pretty excited about it :smile:

I am a little worried about the accommodation situation though... It is gonna be a head ache finding an affordable place to live.

Hey, Lucy!
If you are accepting the offer please get in touch as we might end up as classmates :smile:
I have chosen GradPad accommodation but I know there is another Hall/Accommodation called Clayponds Village.
Reply 8
Original post by Fedex
Hey guys!!
I'm an international applicant and I was made an offer for the Msc in Epidemiology... but to meet the conditions I have to make a deposit of 2600 pounds aprox :s which is the 10% of the total fee...
I'm looking for funding now... but do you know what happens if I don't get funding to study at ICL? Do they return the money back?
Please help!

Hey, Fedex!
I have received by conditions or deposits information yet. But do check Imperial's website as they usually state in the offer holders section the deposit amount. I think this deposit is non-refundable.

Best Wishes :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Jonnyishman
Hey guys.

I've gotten an offer from Imperial for the MSc Petroleum Geophysics but I agree with Anon0 in that there's very limited support from Imperial.

I've also got an offer for a similar course from Leeds which I think currently I'm more likely to go to. But it all depends on funding really so I could be at Imperial this October.

Congratulations on both your offers! Best Wishes to you and hope that all your funding is sorted and I see you at Imperial :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Fedex
Hey guys!!
Please help!

Til what I know, all offer holders have to pay a deposit. I got an offer from the Business School and if I were to accept the offer, I would have to pay the deposit in order to secure my seat at Imperial. I think this is their way of ensuring that you really will be coming to Imperial. It's sort of a surety. Not all universities or programmes make their offer holders pay a deposit fee but many of them do. Also, I think its non refundable unless a) you don't meet the conditions of your offer (if you received a conditional offer or b) if you don't get a visa. But I'm not 100% sure about that. Best to call or email Imperial directly to find out.

Hope this helped! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by rukutaneja
Hey, Fedex!
I have received by conditions or deposits information yet. But do check Imperial's website as they usually state in the offer holders section the deposit amount. I think this deposit is non-refundable.

Best Wishes :smile:

Thank you very much for your answer!
Sadly, the deposit is non-refundable :frown:... I thought the information given in offer holders section of Imperial's website was only to the business school...
This is so bad... now I don´t know what to do!
Reply 12
Original post by Anon0
Til what I know, all offer holders have to pay a deposit. I got an offer from the Business School and if I were to accept the offer, I would have to pay the deposit in order to secure my seat at Imperial. I think this is their way of ensuring that you really will be coming to Imperial. It's sort of a surety. Not all universities or programmes make their offer holders pay a deposit fee but many of them do. Also, I think its non refundable unless a) you don't meet the conditions of your offer (if you received a conditional offer or b) if you don't get a visa. But I'm not 100% sure about that. Best to call or email Imperial directly to find out.

Hope this helped! :smile:

Thanks to you too Anon0!
I sent them an email.. and at least in my programme is non-refundable... so bad!!
Reply 13
Hey all,

I'm a Malaysian university graduate who has obtained an unconditional offer to do an MSc Geophysics at IC with Jonnyishman. I'm excited at the prospects of knowing other soon to be fellow classmates doing MSc Geophysics at Imperial! :smile:

Best,
Daniel
Reply 14
Original post by rukutaneja
Hey, everyone :smile:
Just wanted to know if anyone else has a postgraduate offer from Imperial College London & the course you have opted for!
Mine:-
Course: MSc Strategic Marketing

Congrats! I'm currently awaiting a decision on the same program, could you tell me a bit about your background?
Reply 15
Original post by rugbygal
Congrats! I'm currently awaiting a decision on the same program, could you tell me a bit about your background?

Hi! Hope you get your offer soon too.
I finished by BSc in International Business at Brunel University with a First Class Honours last July. I also run a small in business in my home country of India. I am 20 years at entry for this programme.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Have you had your Skype/Personal Interview yet?

Best Wishes!
Reply 16
Wow, that's awesome about your own business, good for you! My references were in on 21 February, so I have a feeling that I've still got a long time to wait! My application currently says "under review by department." I just got the Santander email a few days ago, I'm wondering if there is a timeline connected between receiving that email and having your application finally looked at? What was the time frame of having your references approved and getting your interview?
Hi
I've satisfied the conditions of my offer for MSc physics and I've arranged accommodation with Wood Lane Studios (Gradpad). Expensive but they look great and I'd rather spend my first year in London in a 'halls'-style environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey
I have an offer for MSc Taxonomy and Biodiversity, so it would be cool to talk to people on the same course!

With accommodation, i am also having problems. Gradpad is too expensive, does anyone know any postgraduate or mixed postgrad/undergrad accommodation for around 100-140 pounds a week?

cheers
Reply 19
Hi, guys. All the accommodation in zone 1 or 2 are approx. up to 200 pounds a week. I will be booking with Independent Student Living because I have heard a few negative stories about grad-pad on their facebook page. Also, because my other friends who are in their 3rd year of undergrad can book at ISL. For accommodation under 200 p/w, I suggest to check out Unite accommodation but this will be considerably further from Imperial.

If any of you want to chat, please message me and exchange Skype ids.

Best Regards :smile:

Quick Reply