The Student Room Group

Implications of using White Name in job application?

I am going to send my CV with a white name to a recruitment agency instead of using my legal, exotic and very original ethnic-minority name. What are the implications? Is it illegal? Can I expect to use my real name and explain why I used a fake name when I eventually meet the employer for an interview? Will the employer think I am an idiot (I probably am for considering this, but I take you know what I am suggesting)?
Don't do this. There's no need, legally the employer is not allowed to discriminate against you based on ethnicity so if he is being racist towards you can always file a complaint.

What is your name by the way?
Reply 2
I remember reading an article on the BBC where it said using a white name (or rather a local name) actually increases the chance of getting further on in the recruitment process.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20608039
Reply 3
Since I am probably the only one in the entire UK with my name, I will not provide you with it. Sorry about that.

The question is: will the employer be understanding and not use my white name-fake application as an excuse to not hire me at an interview? Or could I disclose my real name should they decide to hire me, without risking any complications?
(edited 11 years ago)
wow

Just use your normal name, what you expect people to call you. You don't have to use your full legal name. Though if people call you "MC Rapezzz" or something, probably best not to use that. You don't want colleagues to start calling you something else and then when you actually form friendships, you have to tell them it's not your real name etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
if you have to tell the employer at the interview, then it shows that you're presuming he's going to be racist when considering your application. That's not a nice thought.
Reply 6
Original post by tammie123
Don't do this. There's no need, legally the employer is not allowed to discriminate against you based on ethnicity so if he is being racist towards you can always file a complaint.

What is your name by the way?

Yes, legally they are not allowed to, but unless they send him a reply saying "we are rejecting you because you have an ethnic sounding name" how could it ever be proven? You can't file a complaint for your job application getting rejected. There is plenty of reason to, as it's been proven time and again that having a "white" name makes you more likely to get an interview I'd probably consider doing the same if I were in his position.

Legally, as long as you're not trying to commit fraud, you can change your name at any time. So putting a different name on a job application is perfectly legal, I can't really say how employers would react to it though.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/relationships_e/faq_index_family/faq_family_changing_my_name.htm
Reply 7
Original post by Floretta
Yes, legally they are not allowed to, but unless they send him a reply saying "we are rejecting you because you have an ethnic sounding name" how could it ever be proven? You can't file a complaint for your job application getting rejected. There is plenty of reason to, as it's been proven time and again that having a "white" name makes you more likely to get an interview I'd probably consider doing the same if I were in his position.

Legally, as long as you're not trying to commit fraud, you can change your name at any time. So putting a different name on a job application is perfectly legal, I can't really say how employers would react to it though.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/relationships_e/faq_index_family/faq_family_changing_my_name.htm

Discrimination could be proven if OP applied with his real name, got rejected, then applied with exactly the same CV/application details, but using a fake 'white' name, and got to the next stage of the recruitment process.

There was a case recently where an applicant sued an airline for discrimination when he did this. Can't remember the outcome though.

Quick Reply