The Student Room Group

Not sure where to start

Basically I left university in 2004, and have found myself working directly with the development I studied for my dissertation (It was a proposal when I wrote about it and has now started to become a reality). I didn't get a first for it (62) but am having early thoughts of somehow doing further research or writing about it again, and I'm not sure how to start, especially since it crosses two different subject areas!

Anyway, any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply 1
what was your major, what were the topics of your project? are you thinking about maybe doing a phd on it???
Reply 2
my major was in computer science, but my dissertation was on an aspect of computing in education. I'm not sure what I want to do with it, but I think I have an opportunity and experience to do something with it!!
Reply 3
You will find it very difficult I think to do some writing in this area without some link with a Uni through a tutor or by doing a PhD. Is your supervisor still at the same Uni? Why not ask about publication possibilities. Maybe joint, or ask about possible PhD opportunities.
Reply 4
ok yeah, thanks
Reply 5
If you didnt get such a high mark for it, maybe you should re-consider whether the idea is actually worth pursuing further ?
Reply 6
Not getting a high mark doesn't mean the idea itself is not worth being pursued. It could be she/he got a relatively low mark because the writing style, structure etc of the paper wasn't so good and hence didn't succeed in communicating the ideas successfully, but maybe expanding the background research and with a few improvement it could be worth publication.

My advice is also to contact your ex supervisor, as they're probably the one who can give you a valid opinion on whether it's an idea worth pursuing further or not, and I also agree that it could be pretty difficult to get something published in a journal without a link to a uni. It might be easier to get a book published than a journal article, but it doesn't sound like you've got enough stuff for that.

Latest

Trending

Trending