The Student Room Group

Uni of Cambridge, are my resits going to hold me back?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Derp96
Do Bristol supposedly prefer those who went to public schools? I'm at a state school, so I'm hoping this isn't the case... :L

No they offer contextual offers for the bottom 40% so they obviously want more state educated pupils
Reply 121
And so I return, with a rejection letter in hand...

ah well best of luck to anyone else in my situation in the future
Reply 122
Original post by Robbie242
And so I return, with a rejection letter in hand...

ah well best of luck to anyone else in my situation in the future

Sorry to hear that - I know you've worked really hard on your Maths over the last 12 months!

What are your remaining offers / preferred choices now?
Reply 123
Original post by davros
Sorry to hear that - I know you've worked really hard on your Maths over the last 12 months!

What are your remaining offers / preferred choices now?

Cheers davros, nice of somebody to notice :smile:

I've got Warwick and Bath offers at the moment so I'm pretty secure, Ideally I'd like to:
Firm Warwick and insure Durham
Original post by Robbie242
Cheers davros, nice of somebody to notice :smile:

I've got Warwick and Bath offers at the moment so I'm pretty secure, Ideally I'd like to:
Firm Warwick and insure Durham

Sorry about the bad news. Looking at the STEP thread you've really worked hard towards a goal. Better to have tried and lost than never tried at all. I know that things can look pretty black around this time, but if it is any consolation I have met a few Cambridge professors who did an undergrad at Warwick. Also many Cambridge undergrads who now teach at Warwick e.g. the wonderful Ian Stewart.

I agree with you that many state schools leave a lot to be desired when it comes to Cambridge maths preparation. The state system really needs to improve this. I believe that it would pull up the maths standard for everyone else. The main problem I see is that many maths teachers would really struggle with the level required by STEP and hence how this pulls up the A level requirements. I think that education resources have been so focussed on pulling up the average that people who are capable and determined to scale the heights get left to their own devices.

All the best wherever you do your maths undergrad. Half the battle is having a passion for mathematics. I'm sure you'll do very well.

Quick Reply

Latest