The Student Room Group

Edexcel B - P4 - Population And The Economy

THIS IS PART OF PAPER 4.

Erm, but basically i'm not very good and population and the economy. the whole section. :eek:

...because i've had a pants teacher this year. we've talked about random stuff in our lessons, so i have no notes. Useful textbook, but have only just got round to reading it now. HELP!! I have some useful revision guides -

-but does anyone have any info they can give me?? :confused: cos i cant really learn the syllabus from a revision guide!! eeeekkkkkkk!!! :frown: HIT ME BACK!! GRATEFUL FOR ANYTHING!!

thankees xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hiya, your help for weather and climate is really good so let me know how i can help for population, i think i'm better at that that weather. what areas do u think u are weak at?
Reply 2
hiya, your help for weather and climate is really good so let me know how i can help for population, i think i'm better at that that weather. what areas do u think u are weak at?

ta ma da. :rolleyes: erm, the
Global Shift (of Industry/commerce)
that geogger mentioned....??? help for that part?? :confused: dont really know anything about that bit?! :eek: thanks so much both of ya!! :suith: :suith:
Reply 3
Geogger
Global Shift is the term given to the movement of manufacturing base (usually by TNCs) overseas eg to Vietnam, China etc) as a means of reducing their costs (esp labour costs) and thus increasing their profits. Nike is a good example where almost all of its production is now overseas whilst the HQ is still in USA. Have a look on various revision sites and in that Heinemann book - its quite good there!

This is often termed outsourcing. Nike is a good example as there are positive and negative impacts on the countries where they manufacure their goods. Coca Cola is another great one, with the positive impact it has had on Rio De Janeiro (Brazil), acting as a flagship TNC. If in need of another case study for global shift, it would be quite a good idea to offer something alternative to manufacturing examples. Try using the shift of call centres from the UK to LEDCs such as India. British Telecom is a good example of this as well as many, many, directory enquiries companies!

Thing also about ideas which have allowed outsourcing/global shift/globalisation. By this i mean, developments in transport/communications/technology etc.

Look at models of development:

- Rostow's
- Myrdal's (cumulative causationg and spatial interaction)
- Freindmans Model

etc.

Look at international aid:

- Relief Aid
- Bilateral ...
- Multilateral.. that sort of thing.

The Development Gap

- Inequality in trade
- Reasons for it
- Theoretically - how would you suggest it could be overcome?
- Do todays developing countries follow the same patterns of development as countires such as the UK did post-industrial revolution?

Off the top of my head, they are the key areas to get your head round. Associated case studies galore would be a good idea! Good luck all!
Reply 4
http://revision.miss-brightside.com/popeconomy.doc here are population and economy notes.
As long as you have good case studies to hand you should be able to answer any questions they throw at you! If your case studies are a bit thin on the ground at the mo then Google is always great 4 finding extra details 2 add to ur answer in the exam :smile:
Reply 5
THANKS GUYS!! awesome stuff. xxx
Reply 6
_poptart_
http://revision.miss-brightside.com/popeconomy.doc here are population and economy notes.
As long as you have good case studies to hand you should be able to answer any questions they throw at you! If your case studies are a bit thin on the ground at the mo then Google is always great 4 finding extra details 2 add to ur answer in the exam :smile:

these notes are excellent, thanks for sharing them
Reply 7
these notes are excellent, thanks for sharing them

2nded!! :suith: :tsr2: thanks you guys!! :rolleyes: :suith:
Reply 8
'miss brightside' person I owe you a big thanks. Your notes are amazing! thank you for the help:smile:
Reply 9
Dont worry about it, i got so much help no here last year I think its only fair I give some help back!!
Im on my home pc at the moment so I have loads of files i made from last year, I'll attach them now in case they're not on http://revision.miss-brightside.com
Reply 10
Does anyone know what case studies are needed for this exam? Should we know a general outline of the technical stuff, theories, models etc and a few case studies? Say on migration, population policies, a mnc/tnc,....
Reply 11
^^ thanks geogger!! erm, peeps what kinda diagrams are you learning for this bit of the paper?? i mean, to include among our essays we were told its a good idea to have some neat little diagrams... but like what!? :eek: :rolleyes:
Reply 12
What type of migration question do people think will come up?
Something like, "examine the costs and benefits of migration"?
Reply 13
Spiral
What type of migration question do people think will come up?
Something like, "examine the costs and benefits of migration"?

I hope so, so much! I would also like a question on reducing the development gap or something like that.
Reply 14
Alright guys, fantastic discussion here, really helped me a lot.

Some of us have put together a site with some resources on if any of you fancy checking it out

http://www.freewebs.com/mattsrevision/geography.htm

Good luck guys, i know i'll need it.

Matt
Matt that is excellent!! thank you thank you thank you!
Reply 16
Yea they're great! If only it had been put it sooner lol, is the exam in the afternoon?
Reply 17
Yep it's in the afternoon.
It's so nice when everyone shares, thanku!

Good luck everyone

not as good as the other notes - little essay about Mexico-USA migration

Mexico.doc
Reply 19
Thanks Mighty Milly :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending