The Student Room Group

Ums Question for Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Frankster
Yeah I see where you're coming from. I'm just kinda not tempted to sit the entrance paper for oxford. Idk why, but just I feel there's a greater chance of me getting into Cambridge rather than Oxford. But idk, I never really considered Oxford you see..

The dude's right. Have a look at Ox, theres a course which is Eng, Econ and Management that may be of interest to you!
Reply 21
Thanks bro! what did you get? :tongue: Uhmmm aren't we meant to tell them our orig. ums mark before retake too? :frown:

Ill tell u 2moz at school. On TSR, im gonna get negged so sky high that my arse is gonna turn red and sore.
I'm actually not so sure. Speak to ur form tutor - he may have some advice!
Reply 22
Original post by Mo_maths
Hi
I want to study Medicine at Cambridge uni. Today I got my as jan marks back
chem 95/100 A
maths 94/100 A
bio 95/100 A
physics 100/120 A (Disappointed)
I was just wondering if my lower physics ums would affect my ums average, im not planning on taking it for A2.
Also is it the average of the 3 highest ums values so maths bio and chem for me?
finally what ums average should I be aiming for?
Thanks

The 3 most relevant will be your three best in your case since they're all relevant (physics is perhaps the least relevant). You should aim for 90-95+% which you have atm. Just keep up the hard work. However, since it's medicine there are other factors as well such as the BMAT that you'll need to consider too -unlike other subjects where they only rely on ums and interview.
Original post by micboy
The dude's right. Have a look at Ox, theres a course which is Eng, Econ and Management that may be of interest to you!

i was going to mention that but this course is under review so may not be an aoption for you
Reply 24
I have the same qs but about Engineering. My average right now is 91-92% after 4 exams. I am resitting one. How will one retake affect my chances? I have 6 more exams in the summer and aiming to do really well in those...

In the SAQ you need to submit all sittings so retaking just to up ums is probably not worth it. If you do retake make you sure it's better than your first sitting because one low module could mean a bad day, a bad retake may raise questions.

You're better off concentrating on your summer exams. 91-92% is pretty good and the summer exams carry more weighting.
Reply 25
Original post by tooambitious
i was going to mention that but this course is under review so may not be an aoption for you

Yh, apparently its in its last year, but franks may just about squeeze into its final year
Original post by micboy
Yh, apparently its in its last year, but franks may just about squeeze into its final year

shame, looks like agood course
Reply 27
Original post by Mike93L
In the SAQ you need to submit all sittings so retaking just to up ums is probably not worth it. If you do retake make you sure it's better than your first sitting because one low module could mean a bad day, a bad retake may raise questions.

You're better off concentrating on your summer exams. 91-92% is pretty good and the summer exams carry more weighting.

hey thanks for that :smile:

Its just because for C2, I reckon I can get closer to 100UMS, rather than the 89 I got.. Will that still mean its a bad choice to retake it?
Reply 28
hey thanks for that :smile:

Its just because for C2, I reckon I can get closer to 100UMS, rather than the 89 I got.. Will that still mean its a bad choice to retake it?

I think you'd be better off just focusing on June exams. I'd only suggest retaking something like 89 if you needed it get an A* (which you don't).
Reply 29
Hi everyone! Hopefully someone can give me some advice. I applied for medicine this year (Oxford, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Sheffield) and unfortunately have three rejections and waiting for my fourth (most probably).

Assuming I do get four rejections and have to take a gap year and reapply, I was wondering if I applied to Cambridge next year, would they consider my overall ums including both A2 and AS or just AS when calculating the average of my three most relevant subjects.

At AS I got: 91 biology, 93 maths, 94 art but only 80 chemistry so only just scraped an a.

Would it be worth retaking my AS chemistry modules to bump up the AS ums or will the fact that I retook look worse than having a low score in the first place? And if I did get much better AS scores would they even consider them towards the ums average or do they only consider the first sitting?
Or would simply concentrating on the A2 modules and getting an a* look better?

Sorry for all the questions but I have to decide whether or not to retake any modules by the end of this week and I'm very confused!

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending