The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Level Geography Unit 2 Notes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Praveen101
I don't know how you did that without using examples.. the key was to link your examples with what they gave you so for e.g.

Improving derelict buildings (Albert Docks)>leading to employment>to less crime

How does that link with culture and heritage though.......
I didn't use examples for the rebranding figure question (4a), as i thought the examples where from the source not are own examples and knowledge. I have so done that wrong, how many marks do you think I could get for not using examples.
Original post by sxxxxt
I completely messed that up.

In regards to the rebranding source question, how many marks would I get for:

Birmingham used local artwork making them more involved
Birmingham black country museum created jobs
Brindley Place, Ladywood house prices increased despite being one of the most deprived areas due to proximity to Brindley Place
I said something about crime rate but completely forgot to link points such as low unemployment so less crime. How many marks would this be out of 10?

I messed this question up so bad.

you'd get aleast 6-7 minimum

I made mine up about a library in birmingham built on brownfield site and how it attracted student accommodation to the area. Therefore, attracting bars, shops etc and investment into the area. Didn't talk about crime, unemployment etc.Will be lucky if I got 4
Reply 83
Original post by silver phoenix
I didn't use examples for the rebranding figure question (4a), as i thought the examples where from the source not are own examples and knowledge. I have so done that wrong, how many marks do you think I could get for not using examples.

Did it give specific examples in the source? I havent seen it but ive been told it included general stuff...

It will probably be capped, you won't get higher than 5 marks for that im afraid. It was a crappy question and I had to make one up...

same
how many marks do you think we will loose?
Original post by ridwan12
It will probably be capped, you won't get higher than 5 marks for that im afraid. It was a crappy question and I had to make one up...

the question said using examples,
examples coming from the source must surely count?
Original post by iJAKE
Did it give specific examples in the source? I havent seen it but ive been told it included general stuff...

It said using specific examples, the source was generic.
Original post by ilovecake123
the question said using examples,
examples coming from the source must surely count?

The source didn't have an example though :confused::confused:
for the two contrasting coastal defences was it okay to talk about natural and man made. I put mangroves and seawall I'm not sure
The source didn't have an example though :confused::confused:

yeah it had pictures of stuff like artists work and how they regenerated older buildings. i said examples like museums and for the artists work i used examples of murals and paintings
how many marks do you think i got now?

On most mark schemes they always say that examples can be places or specific examples like museums etc that were on the figure, and what these do, so I doubt you had to! Could be wrong but I doubt they'd turn a figure question into a case study one?
yeah it had pictures of stuff like artists work and how they regenerated older buildings. i said examples like museums and for the artists work i used examples of murals and paintings
how many marks do you think i got now?

Surely by examples they meant "areas" or specific examples like a named museum......

Examiners are usually harsh with this exam so I would say you'd be in level 2 (5-7) max but it could be as low as level 1 (1-4).

I messed this question up as although I gave a vague example said a library in birmingham but didn't name it. Said how it attracted investment and regeneration as it attracted students and therefore further businesses to cater for students.

Forgot to talk about decreased crime and education etc, if you talked about that then you'd be in level 2 (5-7).....
Original post by TheNervousWreck
Guys why are you panicking? If you wrote more than required you are only going to gain not lose, you've done fine. I was unsure about whether to do Managed retreat, because i wasn't sure if it was a defence....do you think it will be alright?

Yeah I was going to write about that too but I changed my mind and wrote about sand dune regeneration, cause in my textbook it says no new coastal defences are used in Managed retreat

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didnt use the source for the rebranding question 4a, but mentioned about museums and sport anyway. will i lose a lot of marks for not mentioning source 4?
Surely by examples they meant "areas" or specific examples like a named museum......

Examiners are usually harsh with this exam so I would say you'd be in level 2 (5-7) max but it could be as low as level 1 (1-4).

I messed this question up as although I gave a vague example said a library in birmingham but didn't name it. Said how it attracted investment and regeneration as it attracted students and therefore further businesses to cater for students.

Forgot to talk about decreased crime and education etc, if you talked about that then you'd be in level 2 (5-7).....

yeah your probably right but the thing is i don't see why they would make a source question into a case study one, like that isn't fair,
i think quite a lot of people flopped that question, otherwise it was a good paper, so lets hope the grade boundaries are in are favour.
they average around 50/70 anyway so even if i lost 5 marks, i could still be looking for an A
yeah your probably right but the thing is i don't see why they would make a source question into a case study one, like that isn't fair,
i think quite a lot of people flopped that question, otherwise it was a good paper, so lets hope the grade boundaries are in are favour.
they average around 50/70 anyway so even if i lost 5 marks, i could still be looking for an A

as soon as I saw urban i knew i screwed up as I didn't know any case studies for urban only rural.

As long as you made up for it elsewhere. Last year someone got an A and missed out a question...
Reply 97
Completely screwed this up... will be amazed to get something out of this. Timing an issue for me. Just glad my first one went well.
Just to let you know that you could have done worse so dont panic. I did extreme weather very well but then I turned the questions over to start on the fifteen marker for rebranding but I answered the question for unequal spaces and then was so panicked by that my answers for the two ten markers on rebranding were terrible.... so yeah
For the Figure Questions I believe you are not meant to use case studies (or at least not extensively). - I remember seeing in an examiner report that your focus should be on the Figure, and not on case study details which you may have learnt.

That said, I'm not exactly sure how you could write a good answer to Q4's Figure questions without bringing in wider case studies. I ended up defining legacy and explaining the importance of culture/heritage so as to get the support of local people, however after that I merely described what was in the picture saying regeneration > economic and social improvements. At the end I mentioned a case study of the New York High Line as a model of success exemplifying the importance of getting local support (as this was very much a grass-roots approach to rebranding), however I am certainly unsure what exactly the question wanted more than what I did.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending