The Student Room Group

Edinburgh vs Durham for Anthropology?

Just looking for a fresh eprspective really.

Durham:

Lots of knowledge about it as my sister is currently studying Anth at 'my' college.

Small and compact uni.

Perhaps slightly more 'prestigious' (although this is arguable).

Only a 3 year course.

Fairly well known domestically.

Collegiate system.

I love Van Mildert.

Cheaper than Ed.

Edinburgh:

Bigger city, more things to do that i'd be interested in e.g lots of opportunities for freelance filming work, the Fringe etc.

Fairly well known.

City centre uni.

My sister is doing half Anth in her degree and due to recent illness, will be withdrawing and repeating the year as an undergraduate 3rd year starting in 2013 which means we will be at the same college at the same time if I went to Durham.

It's in Scotland.

It's pure social anthropology.

Fairly well known internationally.

So essentially, they're pretty equal.

Durham, for me, would be the 'safe choice' as I know it well/my family has almost always gone there but I'm not sure whether I'd have a better time in Edinburgh, but would I always be wondering why I turned down a top 5-10 uni?

Argh. V confusing! Anybody have any input or, perhaps more helpfully, any personal experience of turning down Durham/going to Ed?
Reply 1
id have to say edinburgh is certainly seen as more prestigious abroad. however, both are pretty much on par in terms of their reputation within the uk, irrespective of what the uni rankings say, so pick whichever one you think you would enjoy more. from your post, it seems to me like you personally want to go to edinburgh - if you know that deep down you do, just go for it. you'll regret it more if you pick the wrong one just because someone else advised you to go there, or because durham is a few places higher in the rankings table. good luck! :smile:
Where did you end up going in the end ? since this was posted 6 years ago 😂

I’ve got kind of the same dilemma. The thing is, I don’t know a lot about the Edinburgh course and I loved the one at Durham, very flexible and with some practical work abroad (like, as an anthropologist)!! But I also think Edinburgh might be more alive as a city, and I love drama so it would get me closer to the Fringe festival... I am kinda scared of scottish weather though, cloudy skies do have an impact on my mood (although admittedly Durham is quite far up north).

What do you think ? 🤔

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending