The Student Room Group

How much of a link between immigration and crime?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/secrets-of-the-pickpockets/4od

Kind of similar to the "why are immigrants hated in this country thread". I'm not making a statement about what the effects are-I'm hoping others will who know something about the link, or lack of it, between immigration and crime.

For those who don't want to watch the video it is about pick-pocketing and 20 mins in all they are all Eastern European-Romanian, etc. The documentary may well only have shown this to conform to the sterotype, I don't know, and appease viewers (such as the guy who was also trying to get a back operation from the NHS, or those who were in prison before, three guilty men who only got 48 weeks total etc etc). However, for right or wrong I can't say but what I do think is that immigration does concern many due to the crime that can rise as a result. Even if it is just 1% of immigrants who are criminals of 5 million people say that is still 50,000 career criminals who may expand their network once in the UK. Not trying to slate immigrants-my grandparents were and worked hard-but feel it is a high profile concern, especially with the whole whether to stay or leave the EU.
I know that race plays a significant role but it's difficult to find statistics on immigration.
Immigrants from certain races tend to be more "represented" in crime then immigrants from other races.

We can't stereotype however. Everyone human is unique.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I studied Crime and Deviance last term in Sociology and one topic focused on Ethnicty, so basically I will tell you some of the things I've learnt from their. This is not going to be directly linked to the pickpocketing video but petty crimes in general.

Firstly immigrants and ethnic minorities tend to get less paying jobs, which in times of economic recession such as now, they tend to lose, therefore they may resort to crime as a way to gain more money.

Also most petty criminals are convicted due to police discretion. The police are more likely to take notice of an ethnic minority or immigrant commiting a crime and therefore will pay closer attention to people of these races to find more criminals. For example, black people are more likely to be stopped and searched because the police believe that they are more likely to carry stolen goods, even if this may not be true, once they have found one who is carrying stolen goods they will search for more black people in attempts to get the same result. Whereas if a white person was found to be carrying stolen goods notice of the fact that they were white wouldn't be noticed.

Ethnic minorities are often used as an escape goat, but the media is also more likely to point out their race, for example: 'White woman killed by Asian male' is more likley to be a headline of your newspaper than 'White woman killed by white male'.

A prime example of the racism within the police force is the murder of Stephen Lawerence, who was a black male killed by a group of about 5 white males, despite all evidence pointing to this group being the murders the police ignored it and arrested Stephen Lawerence's black friend who was also attacked by the gang.

I hope this may have helped your understanding.
Original post by TheFrozenLake.
Immigrants from certain races tend to be more "represented" in crime then immigrants from other races.

We can't stereotype however. Everyone human is unique.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, we have to ignore the statistics, ignore the facts, completely deny the blatantly obvious, we must dismiss it as coincidence or even go as far as to completely deny the facts...

Because at the end of the day, we must treat everybody as an individual...

:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending