The Student Room Group

urgent help with jurisprudence!

I have three essays i need to do and would really appreciate any help that will point in me in the right direction!

1. “End-of-Life decisions can now only be made on the assumption that there is a ‘cluster of values’ to be applied in this area rather than a single pre-eminent value that the law can invoke to judge such cases.”

Critically discuss. Your answer may focus primarily upon one jurisdiction, but you should also include comparative examples drawn from different jurisdictions.

“The Enlightenment claimed to have abolished torture, which it regarded as an atavistic practice, belonging to the pre-modern era. However, in the 20th and 21st centuries the evidence suggests that the phenomenon of torture is widely practised and shows no sign of abating despite its absolute legal proscription.”

Critically discuss.

3. “Although moral pluralism is a characteristic of modern western societies, to regulate abortion the law must ultimately privilege particular values. At root, the controversy surrounding the regulation of abortion is based in the choice of values.”

Critically discuss. Your answer may focus primarily upon one jurisdiction, but you should also include comparative examples drawn from different jurisdictions.

Thank you for any help

Jess xx
Reply 1
jessica1986
3. “Although moral pluralism is a characteristic of modern western societies, to regulate abortion the law must ultimately privilege particular values. At root, the controversy surrounding the regulation of abortion is based in the choice of values.”

I think it was Fuller that wrote extensively on natural law being based on values, and so the natural law in different jurisidictions is different to reflect such values...

If you do a book search, you'll get something on Fuller natural law vs positive law.

I'm sorry that's so random and not very detailed but I never actually did a jurisprudence module, I just touched on this theory during law & literature. Hope it helps anyway :smile:
Reply 2
is jurisprudence very philosophical?
Reply 3
pezz
is jurisprudence very philosophical?

Jurisprudence is often defined as 'the philosophy of law' or 'the branch of philosophy concerned with law', so...yes
that is totally different to jurisprudence at Hull so I would nt know where to begin really.

I think a name is coming to my head but I cannot think who and it was not Fuller, something to do with the inner and outer circle of morality- Gewirth (whoever he is). I did 4 years ago so I am probably mixed up.

Latest

Trending

Trending