The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pretty solid paper, missed a mark by not balancing the fermentation equation and messing up a bit on the absorption's

But overall it was a good paper :biggrin:

Loved the radical substitution question :wink:
Original post by such
Yeast is required in fermentation. Zymase is also acceptable.

is it ok if i wrote that it needs to happen with the absence of oxygen?
Can I get an A* in chemistry with an overall B at AS?
did you have to specify 37 degrees CENTIGRADE or do you think I would have got the mark just for writing 37 degrees? :smile:
Original post by LH78
As always, there will be some people who found the paper easy and others who found it extremely hard. At my college, people didn't think it went very well. Lets not forget that grade boundaries are based on how well everyone who sat this paper did. Many had the same reaction to January's paper (I didn't do that one, I'm just basing that on what I read on here) and it was 79 for an A. So I don't think anyone is in the position to be predicting grade boundaries to be honest. Those who feel they have done exceedingly well will predict the grade boundaries to be high and those who didn't feel they did as well will be praying its lower.

Patience is a virtue. I know its hard but the only thing we can all do is get on with the rest of exams and wait till August for results.

This paper was way harder then January 2013. Jan13 was a cakewalk! Ok, so was this, but in comparison this was harder without a doubt.
Original post by nothepreacher

you need at least 80% in AS, 90% in A2

Probably not as your AS is 50% of your A level , even if you got an A*, it'd average out as an A :smile:

I hope so :colone:.
Reply 3629
Original post by kelvinbeyioku
:frown: must have dropped about 15 16 marks there goes my a in chemistry for AS :angry:

That's still an A isn't it?? Grade boundary won't be higher than 81/82 because it's June paper and a lot of weaker candidates sit it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guy, you know the question where we had to draw the products after oxidising, making an ester and dehydration. Would I loose a mark for not including water in the dehydration? Or would it be ok just putting the alkene?
Original post by jacksonmeg
you need at least 80% in AS, 90% in A2

What if you wanted just an A overall and got a B in AS? Would you just need high A's, like 85%?
Both Biology&Chemistry papers where good, seems like OCR are giving us a bit of leeway :banana2:
Reply 3633
Original post by Deziah
For the flow chart one;
I got a ketone in the top left box, ester in the top right, and two alkenes in the bottom two boxes. I think they all produce water when they react? So I put +H20 in every box just in case, hopefully they'll ignore that. :-)

OOOOPPPPS ALL right or ALL wrong
Reply 3634
What was the 2 mark Hess cycle answer?
Reply 3635
Is breathalyser a use of infrared spec,

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know it's not really significant but what did everyone get for the sulfer mass spec question :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3637
Original post by MelissaBlackbird
Guy, you know the question where we had to draw the products after oxidising, making an ester and dehydration. Would I loose a mark for not including water in the dehydration? Or would it be ok just putting the alkene?

The question asks for the two organic compounds that are formed in the dehydration. Water is not an organic compound.
Reply 3638
What's everyone's opinion on the paper this afternoon?

I felt it was a righteous paper...
Pure Chemistry minus the application towards Module 4 which is great!
I am hoping I had done enough for it; worked for this like nothing!
As it stands... My maximum is 98/100.

I hope you guys done well enough for yourselves too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep you could.
You just need to get over 90% at A2.
B is 70%, A* is 90%, that adds up to 80% overall and 90% at A* which is what you need for an A*.
You could get a C at AS and 100% at A2 and still get an A*.

Latest

Trending

Trending