The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Economics is better at Cambridge, simple. Oxford is still very good, top 15, maybe top 10, but Cambridge is probable the best in the UK.

And… being a postgraduate, in my second year I may be teaching the next generation of Tab. I'd be a "Supervisor" of sorts.
Reply 61
Oxford or Cambridge: What's the deciding factor?

I applied to both and only got into one. Easy decision. :biggrin:
Reply 62
Guiscard
I applied to both and only got into one. Easy decision. :biggrin:

Grad student then?
Reply 63
Helenia
Grad student then?

Yep.
Reply 64
Guiscard
Yep.

so i'm guesing from the lost 3 posts that a grad student can apply for both for a post graduate degree? is this true?
Reply 65
DLo
so i'm guesing from the lost 3 posts that a grad student can apply for both for a post graduate degree? is this true?

Yep. So can undergraduate organ scholars.
Reply 66
d750
Yep. So can undergraduate organ scholars.

I think they get their own grant too, don't they.

Damn organ scholars. *shakes fist*

Does anyone actually know any organ scholars?
BazTheMoney

And… being a postgraduate, in my second year I may be teaching the next generation of Tab. I'd be a "Supervisor" of sorts.

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but what is the is whole Tab thing? :confused:
Reply 68
scarlet ibis
Maybe I'm just ignorant, but what is the is whole Tab thing? :confused:

Just means a Cambridge student / tutor etc. Short for Cantabriensis.
d750
Just means a Cambridge student / tutor etc. Short for Cantabriensis.

I thought it was from Cantab which is put after a BA/MA. Eg, MA (Cantab) Econ ?
Reply 70
BazTheMoney
I thought it was from Cantab which is put after a BA/MA. Eg, MA (Cantab) Econ ?

Well that's short for Cantabriensis too, so it's really the same thing.
Reply 71
Faboba
I think they get their own grant too, don't they.

Damn organ scholars. *shakes fist*

Does anyone actually know any organ scholars?

Yes, I live quite near one. Lovely guy, fantastic musician. They don't get that much money either, considering the amount of time they put into it.

For those who asked, "Tab" is a derogatory term used for Cambridge students by people from the other place exercising their inferiority complexes. :tongue: It's a corruption of "Cantabrigiensis" which is the Latin name for Cambridge, and which is shortened to "Cantab" to go after your degree. The Oxford form is Oxon, from Oxoniensis (not sure on the endings) but we don't bother using that as a nickname.
Helenia
For those who asked, "Tab" is a derogatory term used for Cambridge students by people from the other place exercising their inferiority complexes. :tongue: It's a corruption of "Cantabrigiensis" which is the Latin name for Cambridge, and which is shortened to "Cantab" to go after your degree. The Oxford form is Oxon, from Oxoniensis (not sure on the endings) but we don't bother using that as a nickname.

It wouldn't work anyway, we Oxford students are quite happy to be called Oxonians, in fact we often use it ourselves. The Tabs just have no sense of humour.
Reply 73
BazTheMoney
It wouldn't work anyway, we Oxford students are quite happy to be called Oxonians, in fact we often use it ourselves. The Tabs just have no sense of humour.

Or something :tongue:

We don't really mind being called Tabs, I think it's quite funny really.
Helenia
Or something :tongue:

We don't really mind being called Tabs, I think it's quite funny really.

Most of the Oxon/Tab rivalry is in jest anyway. And pretty much all one sided, Cambridge students don't often rise to the baiting - spoilsports!
Reply 75
BazTheMoney
Most of the Oxon/Tab rivalry is in jest anyway. And pretty much all one sided, Cambridge students don't often rise to the baiting - spoilsports!

Hehe, oh well, maybe it's because we're just above that sort of thing, y'know? There was someone wearing a "Keble College" sweatshirt in our bar the other night though, and while nobody said anything that I was aware of, he certainly got a few odd looks :wink:
Helenia
Hehe, oh well, maybe it's because we're just above that sort of thing, y'know? There was someone wearing a "Keble College" sweatshirt in our bar the other night though, and while nobody said anything that I was aware of, he certainly got a few odd looks :wink:

It must be all those saturday lectures they make you do, you don't have any time for baiting.

Clare was actually my second choice college, Cellars(?) is the college bar isn't it?
Reply 77
BazTheMoney
It must be all those saturday lectures they make you do, you don't have any time for baiting.

Clare was actually my second choice college, Cellars(?) is the college bar isn't it?

Only NatScis have Saturdays in the 1st year! We don't, not till next year anyway :frown:

Yes, Clare cellars is the college bar/JCR. Tis very cool, only problem is lack of ventilation on busy ents nights :eek:
Helenia
Only NatScis have Saturdays in the 1st year! We don't, not till next year anyway :frown:

Yes, Clare cellars is the college bar/JCR. Tis very cool, only problem is lack of ventilation on busy ents nights :eek:

You must be a Fresher then. Did you take a gap year or something?

The Clare's bar is a lot better than most here in Oxford, the Balliol bar is shit! The Beer Cellar (Corpus Christi) is probable the best Ox. college ber.
Reply 79
BazTheMoney
You must be a Fresher then. Did you take a gap year or something?

The Clare's bar is a lot better than most here in Oxford, the Balliol bar is shit! The Beer Cellar (Corpus Christi) is probable the best Ox. college ber.

I thought the Beer Cellar was Trinity. CCC don't have much of a bar.

Latest

Trending

Trending