The Student Room Group

man v food - not entertaining, what has society come to?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Octohedral
Eurgh. I like the programme's food, but that actually looks horrible - look at those service station sausages and dried out egg.

Also, I like the single can of coke to go with it :tongue:

I grew up eating cumberland sausages, and I still buy cumberland (sometimes lincolshire) sausages. So when I'm presented with some vaguely meat flavoured mush in a plastic-y lining I'm always disappointed. Although I've come to accept that sausages from cafes and the like will always be terrible.

Having said that, the picture does include black pudding and I am adamant that you cannot call an English breakfast a "Full English" without a bit of blood pudding, so there's a positive.
(edited 11 years ago)
The worst fact of all is that the host supports Spurs

adam_richman480.jpgSickening, I know
(edited 11 years ago)
How do you feel about Supersize vs Superskinny where they put all that food into tubes then?

At least (most of) the food on Man vs Food is being eaten :rolleyes:
Original post by doggyfizzel
It really not that unhealthy. He eats a lot of food, a lot of it is not great, but its only for the show. 85 episodes over 3 years, he exercised during filming a reduced his calories on off days. There are a heck of a lot more days in the year than the ones he films, his diet off the show is going to be far more relevant.

Are you serious? You can't put that much food into your body and not risk damage. It's just a matter of your stomach's capacity.

Not that I disapprove of the program. I even watch it when it's on.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Are you serious? You can't put that much food into your body and not risk damage. It's just a matter of your stomach's capacity.

Not that I disapprove of the program. I even watch it when it's on.
So what exactly are the major health concerns of over eating at infrequent sittings? In terms of sheer volume, the most likely outcome is he is sick. The other health problems are associated with long term poor diet not once every two weeks.
Reply 25
Personally I enjoy the show (while finding the ridiculous challenges like the 160lb burger at times grotesque) and so do my family, the portions are crazy yes but unless you're a vegetarian/vegan, you've got to admit some of the food looks absolutely delicious, like for example when it shows the juicy, tender pork almost falling off the bone:coma:

And I love how every Italian place he goes to always has to emphasise how they use their grandmother's recipe lol, it is quite repetitive at times I admit but still entertaining.
Original post by doggyfizzel
So what exactly are the major health concerns of over eating at infrequent sittings? In terms of sheer volume, the most likely outcome is he is sick. The other health problems are associated with long term poor diet not once every two weeks.

I would've thought it'd physically damage your stomach to put way more into it than there's actually room for. I'm happy to be corrected by any medics in here, but it seems really, really weird to me that eating an 80 ounce steak can't harm you in some way :dontknow:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I would've thought it'd physically damage your stomach to put way more into it than there's actually room for. I'm happy to be corrected by any medics in here, but it seems really, really weird to me that eating an 80 ounce steak can't harm you in some way :dontknow:
You don't require that amount of food, but if there wasn't room for it, you like most people, would just throw it up.

I think the perception its terribly unhealthy comes from context. The context of man vs food is the only one people see him in. You repeatedly see him over eating calorie and fat laden foods. You have to remember how often that he is actually doing in real life. All the health problems I have ever heard about are associated with long term diet leading to obesity and it associated problems.
Reply 28
Lol I'm watching it right now.
Original post by Manitude
The first half of the programme is more of a documentary about the local food - hardly controversial there. The second half/challenge is a bit over the top. I only really need to be shown a few clips of these enormous plates of food and I find that's enough. Like this:

Which is £15 if you don't eat it within an hour. I personally think if you split it between five people it's really cheap.

There was a time when I could dismantle that in under an hour. However now I would struggle. If it wasn't for all that toast I would give it a good go.
Reply 30
I'll admit to watching it.
Reply 31
Original post by Guru Jason
There was a time when I could dismantle that in under an hour. However now I would struggle. If it wasn't for all that toast I would give it a good go.

I have a tiny appetite, so I doubt I'd manage to make much of a dent in it! For me, a decent sized fry up is two sausages, one or two rashers of bacon, one egg, one slice of black pudding, one round of fried toast and maybe scrambled eggs if I can be bothered.

There wasn't much in the fridge today so I only had sausages and scrambled eggs without milk :emo:
Reply 32
The first half of the programme is more of a documentary about the local food - hardly controversial there. The second half/challenge is a bit over the top. I only really need to be shown a few clips of these enormous plates of food and I find that's enough. Like this:

Which is £15 if you don't eat it within an hour. I personally think if you split it between five people it's really cheap.

Is that in Great Yarmouth? That's where I was born (unfortunately) and i heard about a giant breakfast there!

Original post by tjf8
Indeed (that bit was a joke)

Why is it a valid reason? My point was that he's not physically affecting their food supplies; he isn't responsible for their lack of nourishment. If you find the idea of eating lots of food in full knowledge of global hunger problems disgusting, then you should also reevaluate most of your lifestyle (rather presumptuous; my apologies if you're a monk or homeless).

You have no idea how I live my life.

Original post by evalilyXOX
Well you are obviously a vegetarian or a vegan !!

Nope I'm not veggie, I had a nice bit of duck with some ribs for tea. I could probably be vegetarian. I jsut think it's a waste of an animals life to die, jsut for entertainment. Adam eats a ridiculous amount of food on these challenges.

It might have helped you recover from anorexia, but it's not a healthy way to do so and it's encouraging others of a healthy or obese weight to attempt these challenges so they can be a 'hero' to. You can eats lots of food and still be healthy as long as you watch what you eat, How is it healtheir than promiscuity? Just cos someone is promiscuous it doesn't meant they're diseased and will suffer a heart attack that will kill him. people find Coronation street entertaining, I and others I've spoken to don't find watching a fat man eating vast quantities of food, entertaining. It's mocking those people who are starving. It's syaing 'oh look we have so much food we can afford to waste it on these stupid challnges and film it for other peoples entertainment' If i was a starving african/asian person I'd be really angry at such shows. Adam is fat though. I've seen bigger people, but he is no way a healthy size/weight.
Reply 33
Original post by anony.mouse
Is that in Great Yarmouth? That's where I was born (unfortunately) and i heard about a giant breakfast there!

I believe it is, yes.
Reply 34
I believe it is, yes.

The picture and challenge sounded similar to one I'd heard of there . . .
Reply 35
Watching it makes me so hungry!
Reply 36
Original post by meenu89
I'll admit to watching it.

Same, I love it:colonhash:
I just think it's a waste of an animals life to die, just for entertainment. Adam eats a ridiculous amount of food on these challenges.

That animal wasn't specifically killed for Adam, it just so happens that he is the one that gets to eat that meat. And also, I definitely think that promiscuity is way worse than unhealthy eating as if unprotected, it can lead to sexually transmitted diseases and even AIDS - which kills ALOT more people in this world than obesity.
Nope I'm not veggie, I had a nice bit of duck with some ribs for tea. I could probably be vegetarian. I jsut think it's a waste of an animals life to die, jsut for entertainment.

Pretty much all meat eaters eat for the pleasure of it. You don't NEED meat to survive, it's perfectly possible to be a vegetarian and live healthily, the main reason you eat meat is you like it. How's that all that different from me liking watching someone else eat it?
Reply 39
Original post by evalilyXOX
That animal wasn't specifically killed for Adam, it just so happens that he is the one that gets to eat that meat. And also, I definitely think that promiscuity is way worse than unhealthy eating as if unprotected, it can lead to sexually transmitted diseases and even AIDS - which kills ALOT more people in this world than obesity.

No, but they could have been eaten by hungry family who needs the food,, rather than by a fat man for entertainment. Unhealthy eating can lead to diabetes, heart attacks etc which can also kill. Eating healthy in large amounts is ok as is having lots of protected sex.

Original post by USRaphael
Pretty much all meat eaters eat for the pleasure of it. You don't NEED meat to survive, it's perfectly possible to be a vegetarian and live healthily, the main reason you eat meat is you like it. How's that all that different from me liking watching someone else eat it?

It's difficult being veggie when you don't cook all of your own meals and it would be a nuissance and extra cost to other people to have to do something different to you. When I do cook for myself, it is usually a veggie meal. When/if i live on my own I probably will be almost completely vegetarian.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending