The Student Room Group
I thought it was home students only.
Reply 2
In order to be elegible you need to have a EU passport and either a) have been living in the UK for at least the three years prior the beginning of the studentship (should you be successful) or b) be a EU resident, I think also for three years at least, but in this case you would be only elegible for fees, not living costs/stipend.
Also, I don't know what scheme you want to apply for but most deadlines have now passed.

Try and check this out
http://www.esrcsocietytoday.ac.uk/ESRCInfoCentre/opportunities/postgraduate/
Reply 3
No I'm not UK/EU national and had just came to UK less than a year. The potential supervisor encouraged me to apply so that my eligibility "can be properly assessed". However it's very troublesome to put together an application (reference letters etc) so I just want to make sure that I'm at least eligible for the funding.

Is there anyway in the website explicitly address the eligibility issue? My understanding is the supervisor already secure the funding, it's just the matter of getting a suitable candidate to take up the studentship.
Reply 4
Yeah, I think it states it clearly here:
http://www.esrcsocietytoday.ac.uk/ESRCInfoCentre/Images/Guidance%20notes%20for%20applic_tcm6-13779.pdf

As far as I know the ESRC has two types of studentships: quota studentships and open competition studentships. The quota studentships (usually a coupla) are allocated every year to the department and once the candidate is considered for admission they should also be automatically considered for such studentships, whereas the open competition ones are studentships you can actually apply for yourself. However they both require a EU citizenship.

If your supervisor already has a studentship allocated that means it's a quota studentship and it should be up to the graduate admission committee to see whether you are elegible for it, so technically there is nothing you have to apply for. Have you applied for PhD and got an offer from your current uni?

edit: also, what subject do you study?
If you are from outside the EU you will not get money from the research councils I'm afraid. Has the university got any money? Most of the non-EU postgrads in my department get their funding from the university itself.
Reply 6
Stated on the website:

Applications are invited for a 3-year fully funded ESRC Studentship commencing September 2006. Includes full payment of fees at the UK/EU rate, 3-year maintenance grant. Applicants will be required to meet ESRC residential eligibility requirements.

So applicant needs to meet the ESRC residential eligibility requirements. I think I'm not qualified.

To Kalen,
This is a PhD project in anthropology.
Reply 7
Oh, ok. I was just asking cause the ESRC has also NERC and CASE studentships for engineering and stuff and I didn't really know the procedure/deadlines for those. But yeah, as Chemistboy suggests, checking with the uni will be your safest bet, you're not going to get research councils/government funding if you're overseas.

Good luck! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending