The Student Room Group

SAQ declare june resits?

on ur normal ucas form you dont have to declare you june resits, but do will you have to declare june resits on the cambridge SAQ?
Reply 1
sorry for the poor grammar! typed it very quickly!
Yes, unfortunately, you do. I, for instance, got a 'C' in English Literature AS the first time I sat the exam (which was an anomalous result, because upon resitting I got an 'A'), and had to declare it on the SAQ, even though I was post a-level and I'd had the 'A' from the resit for a year. If you don't declare it and you do get an offer, it could invalidate the offer. Cambridge don't mind one or two resits as the acknowledge that everyone has a bad day. However, if you've had multiple resits (say 4 or more), they'd want an explanation to explain why you were unable to achieve the grades necessary the first time round and if this would be a cause for concern (because at university there aren't such things as resits and second chances, really. Definitely declare. I wish you the best of luck with you application! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by hogwartian1993
Yes, unfortunately, you do. I, for instance, got a 'C' in English Literature AS the first time I sat the exam (which was an anomalous result, because upon resitting I got an 'A'), and had to declare it on the SAQ, even though I was post a-level and I'd had the 'A' from the resit for a year. If you don't declare it and you do get an offer, it could invalidate the offer. Cambridge don't mind one or two resits as the acknowledge that everyone has a bad day. However, if you've had multiple resits (say 4 or more), they'd want an explanation to explain why you were unable to achieve the grades necessary the first time round and if this would be a cause for concern (because at university there aren't such things as resits and second chances, really. Definitely declare. I wish you the best of luck with you application! :smile:

thanks but apparently in the saq theres only a box where you tick if you are thinking of doing any resits. but no section where you actually declare june resits?
Original post by daalchaval
thanks but apparently in the saq theres only a box where you tick if you are thinking of doing any resits. but no section where you actually declare june resits?

No, there is a section. You enter it under exams sat. So, for instance, say you are resitting in June 2013 a module that you first sat in January 2013. You'll submit your SAQ in October 2013. You'd enter in the SAQ your January 2013 exam, and the result. Then the June 2013 exam, and the result. Am I making sense?
Reply 5
No, there is a section. You enter it under exams sat. So, for instance, say you are resitting in June 2013 a module that you first sat in January 2013. You'll submit your SAQ in October 2013. You'd enter in the SAQ your January 2013 exam, and the result. Then the June 2013 exam, and the result. Am I making sense?

right ok. but thats only for SAQ and cambridge? no other uni would be able to see that resit, if im correct? because that what iv heard
right ok. but thats only for SAQ and cambridge? no other uni would be able to see that resit, if im correct? because that what iv heard

You are correct; thats just for Cambridge don't worry. The SAQ is only for Cambridge; hence you have an additional personal statement that you can opt to do on it in which you can explain why you chose your subject at Cambridge specifically, instead of elsewhere. If you had entered yourself for resits (say you got your results in August 2013 and were unhappy with a module, so decided to resit it in January), you would tick 'resit' on the module after entering the August 2013 grade. Its much less confusing when you have the form in front of you.
If the idea of the SAQ is really unappealing to you, you can choose Oxford instead. They don't have anything like the SAQ, and wont see any resits that you choose to do. Of course, you'd have to see if they did your course etc etc.
Reply 7
You are correct; thats just for Cambridge don't worry. The SAQ is only for Cambridge; hence you have an additional personal statement that you can opt to do on it in which you can explain why you chose your subject at Cambridge specifically, instead of elsewhere. If you had entered yourself for resits (say you got your results in August 2013 and were unhappy with a module, so decided to resit it in January), you would tick 'resit' on the module after entering the August 2013 grade. Its much less confusing when you have the form in front of you.
If the idea of the SAQ is really unappealing to you, you can choose Oxford instead. They don't have anything like the SAQ, and wont see any resits that you choose to do. Of course, you'd have to see if they did your course etc etc.

yes thats a fair point but iv heard that they look at gcses more than cambridge. yet i got no A*s..
yes thats a fair point but iv heard that they look at gcses more than cambridge. yet i got no A*s..

I recommend you get in touch with both of them, and explain your circumstances. You need not give your name, but just explain your situation and see what advice they give you. I wish you the best of luck! :smile:
Reply 9
I recommend you get in touch with both of them, and explain your circumstances. You need not give your name, but just explain your situation and see what advice they give you. I wish you the best of luck! :smile:

i will do thanks! but oxford requires a think skills test, which sounds pretty hard...
Reply 10
If you get 80/100 in a module in jan, would you recommend me to retake this in june?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ljh950912
If you get 80/100 in a module in jan, would you recommend me to retake this in june?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Resits are difficult; on one hand its nice to have a second go, on the other hand it does take up a lot of your time, you could end up with the same grade (or lower) and (if you applying to Cambridge) it could go against you. The basic entry requirements for Cambridge are traditionally A*AA. As long as one of your AS levels are near/over the 90% threshold and the others are decent As overall, I wouldn't worry too much about one module. Thats just my opinion though; might be worth discussing it with a teacher who knows your abilities and the exam better than I do.
Reply 12
on ur normal ucas form you dont have to declare you june resits, but do will you have to declare june resits on the cambridge SAQ?

You have to declare all resits. However Cambridge state that in calculating your average UMS they will accept the better of the two results in the first AS year as they recognise some schools use the Jan exams as mocks.

However they also look holistically. A big jump in marks makes it look like a rogue, everybody can have an off day or mess up a paper. A large number of resits with only small improvement will make them concerned when they have other applicants with first time UMS averaging well clear of 90. They take much less notice of GCSEs but they are not ignored.

The average successful applicant scores 2.6A* at A2, more for sciences less for humanities so a bare scrape for A*AA is unlikely to impress.
What if you've forgotten what you got for a subject? For example, when I sat my first AS maths paper in Jan 2013, it was so bad that when I got my results, I scrunched the paper up and threw it away. I retook it in June and did well, but for the life of me, I can't remember what my UMS was, nor can I find that piece of paper. What should I do?
Original post by rfatherazi1
What if you've forgotten what you got for a subject? For example, when I sat my first AS maths paper in Jan 2013, it was so bad that when I got my results, I scrunched the paper up and threw it away. I retook it in June and did well, but for the life of me, I can't remember what my UMS was, nor can I find that piece of paper. What should I do?

This doesnt really matter as they would have taken the June result anyway as it is June of the AS year and so the January one is accepted as a "mock". What matters is concealing resits into a second year-better to declare you have "forgotten" than not declare those.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending