The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Psychology: G544: Approaches and Research Methods - Monday 17th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Does anyone have a copy of the Jan 2013 exam and mark scheme please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
I was looking back at a thread for the same exam but in Jan 2013 and someone posted some really useful revision notes for Section B:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=41053383&postcount=53

If the link doesn't work, try this one:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2219589&page=3&page=3

Go to the 53rd post by stoppy123 (if you're reading this, thank you!)
Reply 42
So this exam is in 9 days, how's everyone feeling about it? I've not even started revision for this :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Not too bad, section A should be fine, but I'm still not sure of section B, How are other people doing with revising section B material?
Reply 44
Original post by RazBB
Not too bad, section A should be fine, but I'm still not sure of section B, How are other people doing with revising section B material?

Not even started, I have notes, just got to make a start! Any predictions of what could come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Revising for the 10th June exam, then another exam on the 14th which will leave me with 2 days to revise for this exam. :tongue:
Reply 46
Original post by Cryl
Revising for the 10th June exam, then another exam on the 14th which will leave me with 2 days to revise for this exam. :tongue:

Good luck you'll do fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Physiological and developmental haven't come up in their own right yet I dont think, so maybe one of those, seeing as there wasn't an approach in January.
Reply 48
Original post by RazBB
Physiological and developmental haven't come up in their own right yet I dont think, so maybe one of those, seeing as there wasn't an approach in January.

They have come up, individual differences, behaviourist perspective and psychodynamic hasn't come up yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by mkhan9035
Good luck you'll do fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks you too!
Not even started, I have notes, just got to make a start! Any predictions of what could come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teacher reckons either Behaviourist or Psychodynamic:smile:
Reply 51
They have come up, individual differences, behaviourist perspective and psychodynamic hasn't come up yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah, so they have :/ Hmm well cognitive and social are the only two to have come up twice.

Really hope it's not psychodynamic, I really dislike that perspective. :animal:
Reply 52
Original post by rosieamphlett
My teacher reckons either Behaviourist or Psychodynamic:smile:

Hmm as long as an approach comes up i don't care! Hope individual differences comes up :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by RazBB
Oh yeah, so they have :/ Hmm well cognitive and social are the only two to have come up twice.

Really hope it's not psychodynamic, I really dislike that perspective. :animal:

Hmm yeah just hope individual differences comes up

Posted from TSR Mobile
For section A, is the general structure for self-report something like this?:
- Sample (type (volunteer/random/opportunity), target population (age/gender), number of participants)
- Procedure (Location, time, how participants were approached, what they had to do, whether they were alone or needed guidance, examples of the kinds of questions they had to answer (rating scale/closed/open/likert/forced)
- Ethics (What the researcher did to ensure that ethics were maintained (such as being at hand always if the participant needed help with the questions, confidentiality, debriefing, ability to withdraw, ensuring no obstruction of traffic)

I imagine you're supposed to mix the ethics up with the procedure though. Any tips or corrections for my structure would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 55
The general structure for a section A answer is
- Sample and how selected, (Opportunity is easiest I find, make sure you say where you will be at the time of collection and how you will talk to potentials :smile: )
- Allocation to groups, (Independent, repeated or matched pairs, and how you will split the sample into groups? Randomly or however you choose)
- Description of test / questionnaire / Observation (Give an example of a potential question)
- Conditions of timing of test / questionnaire / Observation ( 10 minutes to complete the questionnaire, or as much time as they need, this is entirely your choice)
- Scoring of test / questionnaire / Observation (So that you can create a table or graph, give the dependent variable a numerical value where possible, state how you will do this)

- Quality of design => Description of procedure is clear to allow for replication (Just give clear instructions for each step, and state the simple facts, even if they seem obvious.
- Fitness for purpose => Make sure procedure is practical and ethical, to do this, simply read the sample an ethics statement saying that they won't be deceived or harmed in any way and they can withdraw at any time. Then make sure you have their informed consent, and also make sure they remain anonymous.

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 56
I've nearly revised all my content for Section A and i've devised my revision by learning about the research methods i.e experiments, all the different kinds such as lab, field and quasi, including the experimental designs such as independent measures etc and strengths and weakness of each! Then i use the section A past papers and test myself on the 19 marker practical project and the follow up q's using the mark schemes to add any additional info into my notes! Once i've completed all of section A i'm going to start revising the approaches, issues and debates and do model answers in timed conditions! So hope i can do this and do well on this exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Does anyone have any notes on how each debate/issue relates to each study and approach?
So this exam is in 9 days, how's everyone feeling about it? I've not even started revision for this :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am nervous, and want to throw myself off of Tower Bridge haha.

No really, I flopped the G543 paper today and with my college not allowing re-sits, I only have a D to stand on.

Does anyone know what is likely to come up in terms of the method we must follow? I have NO idea what it was in January- teacher is **** and guidance is needed!
Reply 59
Does anyone know an A2 study that takes the Individual Differences approach? I only have AS ones, does anyone know if i would lose marks if I only used these?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending