The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Psychology: G544: Approaches and Research Methods - Monday 17th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by livvx
Does anyone know an A2 study that takes the Individual Differences approach? I only have AS ones, does anyone know if i would lose marks if I only used these?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm having the same problem! Although I think that if you were to use all 3 AS studies and various aspects of them then you'd still be rewarded?
Also, do you know of any A2 studies which fit in with psychodynamic? :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by Robbo639
I'm having the same problem! Although I think that if you were to use all 3 AS studies and various aspects of them then you'd still be rewarded?
Also, do you know of any A2 studies which fit in with psychodynamic? :smile:

I had a revision session for this exam today and my teacher told us that an examiner friend of hers said that it would be basically impossible to get an A* if you didn't use A2 studies in your section B.

I have a mindmap somewhere with a few studies under each approach and perspective. It's buried under other revision but I can take a look later and let you know of psychodynamic A2 studies :')
Reply 62
Original post by Aliyaa
I had a revision session for this exam today and my teacher told us that an examiner friend of hers said that it would be basically impossible to get an A* if you didn't use A2 studies in your section B.

I have a mindmap somewhere with a few studies under each approach and perspective. It's buried under other revision but I can take a look later and let you know of psychodynamic A2 studies :')

Oh okay, thanks very much! I don't suppose you have any other helpful hints from your revision session you wouldn't mind sharing, do you? :smile:

That would be great if you could, for individual differences also if it isn't too much trouble! Thanks very much :biggrin:
Original post by kayleigh_jude
Just sat this exam in January and got 97/100, totally unpredicted.
Just a word of warning we all recieved a massive shock when instead of having an approach and methodology in Section B we had two methologies, which I hadn't even been taught.

START REVISING NOW!!! The second section is based alot of memory. Get basic answers prepared, especially for strengths and weaknesses and assumptions. A few of your strengths and weaknesses can be used for more than one approach, if you choose to focus on approaches. For example, usefulness can be a strength to all approaches, and deteminism and reductionism applied to all expect Individual Differences as a weakness.

If anyone wants any additional advice on revision notes etc, I'm willing to help.
Good luck everyone!!!!!

Please can you help with answering part e questions in section b? because i literally have no idea on how to answer them :frown:
Reply 64
Oh okay, thanks very much! I don't suppose you have any other helpful hints from your revision session you wouldn't mind sharing, do you? :smile:

That would be great if you could, for individual differences also if it isn't too much trouble! Thanks very much :biggrin:

[h="1"]heres a list of studies you can use as and a2[/h]APPROACHES

COGNITIVE
AS - L and palmer, Baron-Cohen, Savage-Rumbaugh
A2 Yochelson and Samenow, Kohlberg, Gudjohnsson

DEVELOPMENTAL
AS –(Freud), Samuel and Bryant, Bandura
A2 Farrington, Wikström, Sutherland

SOCIAL
AS– Piliavin, Milgram, Reicher and Haslam
A2 - Farrington, Wikström, Sutherland

PHYSIOLOGICAL
AS –– Maguire, Dement and Kleitman, Sperry
A2 Raine, Brunner, Daly and Wilson

INDIVIDUAL DIFFERENCES
AS –Thigpen and Cleckley, Rosenhan, Griffiths
A2 Daly and Wilson (males vs. females)

BEHAVIOURIST APPROACH/PERSPECTIVE
AS Bandura, Savage-Rumbaugh
A2 Watson and Raynor Little Albert
PSYCHODYNAMIC APPROACH/PERSPECTIVE
AS Freud and little Hans, (Thigpen and Cleckley)
A2 (Yochelson & Samenow)
Reply 65
Original post by linabina94
Please can you help with answering part e questions in section b? because i literally have no idea on how to answer them :frown:

i need help on those as well :confused:
Reply 66
Original post by em6789
[h="1"]heres a list of studies you can use as and a2[/h]APPROACHES

COGNITIVE
AS - L and palmer, Baron-Cohen, Savage-Rumbaugh
A2 Yochelson and Samenow, Kohlberg, Gudjohnsson

DEVELOPMENTAL
AS –(Freud), Samuel and Bryant, Bandura
A2 Farrington, Wikström, Sutherland

SOCIAL
AS– Piliavin, Milgram, Reicher and Haslam
A2 - Farrington, Wikström, Sutherland

PHYSIOLOGICAL
AS –– Maguire, Dement and Kleitman, Sperry
A2 Raine, Brunner, Daly and Wilson

INDIVIDUAL DIFFERENCES
AS –Thigpen and Cleckley, Rosenhan, Griffiths
A2 Daly and Wilson (males vs. females)

BEHAVIOURIST APPROACH/PERSPECTIVE
AS Bandura, Savage-Rumbaugh
A2 Watson and Raynor Little Albert
PSYCHODYNAMIC APPROACH/PERSPECTIVE
AS Freud and little Hans, (Thigpen and Cleckley)
A2 (Yochelson & Samenow)

Thanks, that's very helpful! May I ask why a handful are in brackets? :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by Aliyaa

Do you mean that you have to use A2 studies for the strengths and weaknesses?
As that's the only question I use an A2 study in! And i thought so long as you use 2 different pieces of evidence you can still get the marks! :/
Reply 68
Thanks, that's very helpful! May I ask why a handful are in brackets? :smile:

just ignore the brackets, their only for person revision practice and don't mean anything :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by em6789
just ignore the brackets, their only for person revision practice and don't mean anything :smile:

Okay, thanks again :smile:
Reply 70
Does anyone have any advice for section e questions in part b? in desperate need of help :confused:
Reply 71

My bad :P We didn't do a mind map for the perspectives, sorry! But some individual difference studies are: dooley (suicide risk in prisons), canter (top down) + case study on john duffy and gudjohnnson (false confessions). I would probably put Daly and Wilson under the biological approach rather than the individual differences approach but I could be wrong.

Original post by mkhan9035
Do you mean that you have to use A2 studies for the strengths and weaknesses?
As that's the only question I use an A2 study in! And i thought so long as you use 2 different pieces of evidence you can still get the marks! :/

Yeah, I'm sure she also said to use it in part b if possible, even if it's the same study for both part b and c :smile:
Reply 72
What do people think about just learning the approaches for Section B? Someone has said it on another thread in a previous year, but i'm not sure! x
Reply 73
Original post by kelbel1
What do people think about just learning the approaches for Section B? Someone has said it on another thread in a previous year, but i'm not sure! x

depends if you willing to risk it, january's paper was on debates/issues for both sections, so at least one approach will probably come up this time, i'm just gonna briefly learn the debates and issues just incase but mainly focus on the approaches
Reply 74
Original post by kelbel1

I wouldn't recommend it personally. Many people did that in January and were extremely surprised when there were no approaches in section b. I would like to think that that would mean approaches would definitely come up on Monday's paper, but after taking my G543 exam yesterday (where there were no stress questions again), you can never predict what will come up. Just revise everything :tongue:
Reply 75
Original post by em6789
depends if you willing to risk it, january's paper was on debates/issues for both sections, so at least one approach will probably come up this time, i'm just gonna briefly learn the debates and issues just incase but mainly focus on the approaches

Thanks for the info! Your plan sounds like a good plan, and we've got the time to go over debates and issues a lot too :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by Aliyaa
I wouldn't recommend it personally. Many people did that in January and were extremely surprised when there were no approaches in section b. I would like to think that that would mean approaches would definitely come up on Monday's paper, but after taking my G543 exam yesterday (where there were no stress questions again), you can never predict what will come up. Just revise everything :tongue:

I did G543 too, I thought it could have been a lot worse but it was still pretty weird, especially for Forensic as I was forced to do 2 out of the 4 and didn't have a choice, because we didn't do the last section, like many people! Okay, thanks :smile:
Reply 77
Someone please list all the studies that relate to each debate :s maximum two studies for each debate
Reply 78
Totally failing this exam! There's just far too much to remember and so little time! I don't even know what topics to miss out because as much as i'd like an approach/perspective to come up, they didn't ask stress twice on the G543 options paper and so i'm hella confused as to what approaches/issues/debates to revise :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Original post by livvx
Does anyone know an A2 study that takes the Individual Differences approach? I only have AS ones, does anyone know if i would lose marks if I only used these?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you can't use only AS studies, I think you'd lose marks and you'd want to appear as though you know your stuff from A2 as well.

i think you'd have to bend some studies to fit into the individual differences. I know that health belief model can fit under individual differences cos it's considers demographics as an important factor into making health decisions.
another could be Kanner and daily hassles, because men reported less uplifts than women and shows that gender has an effect on the results. From crime it could be Wikstrom because one of their causes of criminality was personality and found that propensity induced offenders offend because they want to. Other than that that's all i can think of?

hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending