The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

help offers from ucl and imperial

hello,

i ve been accepted at ucl for econ&stats and at imperial college for maths.
I really don t know what to do.
Please help me.
P.S I would like to find a job after my degree in a bank or in the financial sector
Reply 1
Original post by Feds92
hello,

Please help me.
P.S I would like to find a job after my degree in a bank or in the financial sector

Congrats, you have some pretty nice offers there mate.

For investment banking, you really wanna be looking at target unis to stand a good chance of getting into the 'front office'. It's said there are 6 of these target unis and both UCL and Imperial are part of those, so there won't be much problem whichever one you go to.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Well done on getting those offers.
In my opinion, both are excellent universities, and the courses at each are very good, so I don't think you would have a problem in transferring to the profession of your choice. I think its just a matter of which course you like best.
I would personally take maths at Imperial, simply because I love Maths and its VERY sought after if you want to go into banking, and I also prefer the Imperial campus to UCL's.
But don't rush this decision- just do whatever you prefer.
Good luck!
Reply 3
Both universities are target universities for your career choice. If I were you, I'd take a good look at each of the different courses to see which one you prefer, the range of extra curricular activities available (which will enhance your application to firms in your desired career area), but also the university campus itself. Book yourself on application/post offer visit days.
Reply 4
Original post by Feds92
hello,

Please help me.

Might I add also that your course only really matters in finance when we're talking specifics. If you want to trade exotic derivative products, for example, you may want a more quantitative degree like Maths at Imperial
Reply 5
Original post by Alimbo95

For investment banking, you really wanna be looking at target unis to stand a good chance of getting into the 'front office'. It's said there are 6 of these target unis and both UCL and Imperial are part of those, so there won't be much problem whichever one you go to.

What unis might these 6 be?
Reply 6
Original post by Maxima
What unis might these 6 be?

Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL and Warwick
Original post by Alimbo95

oh god, i want to go to IB too, is birmingham, durham and st andrews any good?
im guessing it matters on what you grade of degree you get at the end too?
Reply 8
Original post by cooldudeman
oh god, i want to go to IB too, is birmingham, durham and st andrews any good?
im guessing it matters on what you grade of degree you get at the end too?

Well I guess Durham and St Andrews are the most targeted out of those. It'll be more difficult than if you had attended the targets, but just make sure you stand out: good and interesting ECs, good grades etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending