The Student Room Group

Physical similarity/difference and attraction

Poll

Physicla similarities between you and a partner;are they important in relationship?

How much difference does this make? When you think of relationships you've had if more than one, were the most successful wtih someone physically more different or similar to you?? Bone structure, fat amount, eye colour, hair colour, build etc. And which physical features were most important.
I like topics such as these. I always like to question why/if the majority of people do the same things for conscious or sub-conscious reasons.

I believe that people tend to be more open to interacting with people who are similar in appearance to them (we all judge each other within seconds) however there are definitely people who are actually more inclined to strike a conversation with the 'odd one out' in the room.

This is one of the hardest things to answer. Look one way and you'll see a couple who look like they could be siblings, and look the other way, and you'll see a couple who are completely different to each other.

There's the theory that people tend to be most attracted to people who look like them. There's even the theory that people tend to be most attracted to people who look like their mother or father (which is pretty similar to the other theory.) There's also the 'opposites attract' theory.

But I don't think any of the theories suggested are overwhelming obvious in society.
I don't think anyone can really put there finger on this one, in terms of a rule that applies for most.
Reply 2
I'm more attracted to girls who don't look much like me in that I'm skinny, and I like curves. Though I've always liked pale skin, which I also have. I don't think there's really a correlation.
Reply 3
I like girls that look like they would give me superior offspring.
Reply 4
I think it's called sexual dimorphism. I would think that people are attracted to different sizes to their own.
Reply 5
I am skinny and I am much more likely to be attracted to a guy if he is skinny. It's because of previous insecurities, I used to assume that other guys would think I am too skinny, not a real women ect ect. It just stuck really, it's subconscious and now I just find skinny guys more attractive. Also partly because I'm used to skinny guys, I might find muscular guys intimidating and fat guys.. I feel like they would squish me.
Reply 6
I without a doubt think there is a correlation within the majority of couples I see, and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing at all. I could sit in a cafe and watch couples go by, and most of them would look rather 'similar' to their partner, whether that's race, height, fashion style, or even just general 'atmosphere'... I don't know many of my friends in relationships that don't apply, and I'm fairly sure the only person I know who really goes against this is my mum, who is white, Dutch, tall, and currently dating a short Indian man. But that was after being married to a white, tall, English man. P: I know this is largely anecdotal but... I see a lot of people? I think it applies.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Orthonym
I am skinny and I am much more likely to be attracted to a guy if he is skinny. It's because of previous insecurities, I used to assume that other guys would think I am too skinny, not a real women ect ect. It just stuck really, it's subconscious and now I just find skinny guys more attractive. Also partly because I'm used to skinny guys, I might find muscular guys intimidating and fat guys.. I feel like they would squish me.

No such thing as too skinny as long as you won't break when pushed hard into walls and stuff!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending