The Student Room Group

haloalkane to nitrile

i know you react the haloalkane with KCN however I'm looking at the notes I made a while ago and it says alcoholic conditions. Am I right in thinking the alcoholic conditionsbit is wrong? I know that if we had a haloalkane and were reacting it with KOH we would have to say whether it is alcoholic conditions or aqueous conditions since we get a nucelophilic sub happening with one but an elimination happening with the other but that is not the case her so basically I'm asking whether I can just cross of hte alkcoholic condtiions bit for the KCN

wILL GIVE REP. tHanks :biggrin:
Alcoholic :yes: it's there for better solubility of the inorganic salt :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CasualSoul
i know you react the haloalkane with KCN however I'm looking at the notes I made a while ago and it says alcoholic conditions. Am I right in thinking the alcoholic conditionsbit is wrong? I know that if we had a haloalkane and were reacting it with KOH we would have to say whether it is alcoholic conditions or aqueous conditions since we get a nucelophilic sub happening with one but an elimination happening with the other but that is not the case her so basically I'm asking whether I can just cross of hte alkcoholic condtiions bit for the KCN

wILL GIVE REP. tHanks :biggrin:

Does this help? http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicprops/haloalkanes/cyanide.html
Reply 3

hey that helped a lot ..but now I'm annoyed as I tried to rep you but it says I must rep someone else first :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest