The Student Room Group

Depression/anxiety, apply for Medicine.

Hello

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about applying for Medicine whilst having mental health problems. I have already applied for Medicine but was unsuccessful. I'm going to study medical science/biomedical sciences in September/October and at some stage I intend to apply for Medicine again, whether that be undergraduate or graduate entry. I see my GP about anxiety and depression that I think went undiagnosed for quite a while. Anyway, I basically want to know if having such problems may affect any application for Medicine. Do admission tutors have access to applicants' health files and will those with mental health issues, whether they be mild, previous or current issues etc, struggle to get onto the course and be more likely to get rejected? Also, is it worth mentioning it in personal statements and could it maybe help an application? Hope someone can help :smile:
Reply 1
No disability should affect any application for any course, yet sadly we sometimes do hear of 'dubious' rejection reasons. if you feel for any reason that a uni has rejected your application on any disability related grounds I'd urge you to demand a detailed answer as to why the uni feels they would not be able to support you. If you feel passionately enough, follow the legal channels.
Reply 2
It might be worth asking this question in the medicine forum. Your problem might be that if you currently have anxiety and depression, is that they may think that you'd struggle with the course because of this.

If they can justify their reasons for rejection, this isn't discrimination.
Reply 3
The way it always worked when I applied was that the admissions tutors/interviewers etc. would have no way of knowing about any mental illness as this information wasn't disclosed as part of the admissions procedure. However upon getting an offer that you accept there is normally an occupational health questionnaire, and they may contact you to follow up on it. This isn't something to fear though; more about making sure that you will be able to cope with the course, and to see if any adjustements need to be made or additional support provided. I know quite a few medics with depression/anxiety, and as long as you have it relatively well controlled by the time you come to apply, I don't think it would be a barrier.
Reply 4
Original post by NJones
No disability should affect any application for any course, yet sadly we sometimes do hear of 'dubious' rejection reasons. if you feel for any reason that a uni has rejected your application on any disability related grounds I'd urge you to demand a detailed answer as to why the uni feels they would not be able to support you. If you feel passionately enough, follow the legal channels.

For many courses, yes, though in healthcare courses an occupational health check is often required. Sometimes a GP's report is sufficient, other times a full occupational assessment may be required. This will then be used to determine fitness to practice.

I don't want to scare the OP who should be OK, though may be required to attend an occupational health assessment. I know of a number of people with a range of physical disabilities and medical conditions ( as well as mental health problems), who have successfully studied medicine. In fact, if you check the disabled students experience wiki article (link found in the Ultimate Disabled Students sticky) you will see an account from a former moderator who had lung and breathing difficulties. There has also been a student who has epilepsy and did have a bit of trouble with occupational health once she started her clinical years but I believe it all sorted out.

In short, anxiety and depression are very common mental health conditions and shouldn't affect your ability to study medicine and later practice as a doctor. There are many doctors with mental health problems, including some that can be quite serious mental illnesses such as bipolar disorder.
Reply 5
You could use this to your advantage. In the sense that as someone who has been there and done that, you understand more than someone who has had no experience.
Reply 6
Thanks so much for all your replies. I am completely aware that for some people with mental health conditions, medicine may not be for them, but we all suffer in different ways. I guess anyone could develop a mental condition, just as anyone could develop a physical illness, and doctors certainly aren't exempt from this. Mental health is such a tabboo subject and I feel as though my ability to empathise with patients could potentially be better than maybe those who haven't experienced mental illness. Medicine is such a passion of mine and I am just going to keep trying so hard to get there. It would be so frustrating, to say the least, to think that a uni could reject me based on my experiences with mental health.
Original post by OU Student
It might be worth asking this question in the medicine forum. Your problem might be that if you currently have anxiety and depression, is that they may think that you'd struggle with the course because of this.

If they can justify their reasons for rejection, this isn't discrimination.

That can no way be a ground for rejection. It is a common misconception that people with mental health difficulties wont be able fo handle "medicine", or may struggle as yoh say. I should let you know mental health conditions are particularly prevelent among medics, as well as the general population. The university would not prevent you from entering the course, however they would like to know about your conditions so they can ensure that yiu have acess to all the support deemed necessary.
Reply 8
Original post by lucky20
That can no way be a ground for rejection. It is a common misconception that people with mental health difficulties wont be able fo handle "medicine", or may struggle as yoh say. I should let you know mental health conditions are particularly prevelent among medics, as well as the general population. The university would not prevent you from entering the course, however they would like to know about your conditions so they can ensure that yiu have acess to all the support deemed necessary.

Well done for missing my point. If they think you're too unstable to study a demanding course like medicine and can justify it, they can reject you.

Having a mental health condition in itself won't automatically mean you can't study medicine. It depends on how you're affected.
OP. I suggest you read a document called gateways guidance published by the gmc. It is a guidance for med schools on the best way to support disabled students, including those with mental health difficulties. As well as this I suggest you speak to gour GP regarding your concerns. Remember if your GP thinks your capable of studying medicine then you really shouldnt have problem, occu health may ask your GP for a report, or extra information, but like I say anxiety/depression are just far to prevelnt in the population, meaning if med schools did reject on this basis, they would be rejecting an awful lot of candidates. As well as this rejection of a place tends to be a last resort, where you are considered a serious harm to patients and yourself, and despite reasonable adjustments and support provided patient safety is still an issue, only then the uni may use fitness to practice procedures. On a final note if you are considered pretty unwell to cope with academic demands at present, even with support, they may recommend you defer a year, or make it compulsory. Best of luck OP

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending