The Student Room Group

Contract question

Hi

I am doing a business course which has a law module and I am finding it difficult,as I have never done Law before. I have this contract h/w, I would appreciate any help, tips and general advise.

Contract problem

John picked up a flyer left outside a gym. The flyer included details of a “Special New Year Offer”, stating that anyone joining the gym before the 31st January could sign up and pay for a fixed term of 12 months “premier membership” at the same price as the “off-peak membership”, with no administration charges for joining. On the back of the flyer it added that those joining under the special offer would also receive a free sports bag. The fees were then set out as follows:

Premier membership £250
Off peak membership £150
John and his friend Frank went to the gym on the 30th January to join up and take advantage of the special offer. As the staff were extremely busy, Gary, the Manager, came out of his office to deal with them. He gave them a couple of membership forms to fill out and sign that included a direct debit form. Gary asked them to fill out their bank details on the direct debit form and said that he would fill in the rest of it later. He booked them in for their free induction on the Saturday and said they could pick up their membership cards from the desk when they came in.
John and Frank turned up for their induction and picked up their membership cards on the 2nd February. They forgot all about the free bags. Two weeks later they noticed that both their bank accounts had been debited with £250.00. John telephoned the gym to ask why his account had been debited by £250.00 instead of £150.00. Helen who works at the club, explained that his membership was processed on the 1st February, after the special offer had expired. When John asked to speak to Gary, the manager, he was told that he left the gym on the 7th February and no longer works thereJohn picked up a flyer left outside a gym. The flyer included details of a “Special New Year Offer”, stating that anyone joining the gym before the 31st January could sign up and pay for a fixed term of 12 months “premier membership” at the same price as the “off-peak membership”, with no administration charges for joining. On the back of the flyer it added that those joining under the special offer would also receive a free sports bag. The fees were then set out as follows:

Premier membership £250
Off peak membership £150
John and his friend Frank went to the gym on the 30th January to join up and take advantage of the special offer. As the staff were extremely busy, Gary, the Manager, came out of his office to deal with them. He gave them a couple of membership forms to fill out and sign that included a direct debit form. Gary asked them to fill out their bank details on the direct debit form and said that he would fill in the rest of it later. He booked them in for their free induction on the Saturday and said they could pick up their membership cards from the desk when they came in.
John and Frank turned up for their induction and picked up their membership cards on the 2nd February. They forgot all about the free bags. Two weeks later they noticed that both their bank accounts had been debited with £250.00. John telephoned the gym to ask why his account had been debited by £250.00 instead of £150.00. Helen who works at the club, explained that his membership was processed on the 1st February, after the special offer had expired. When John asked to speak to Gary, the manager, he was told that he left the gym on the 7th February and no longer works there.

Advise John

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest