The Student Room Group

Is my music taste bad?

Someone told me I have a rubbish taste in music and this really offended me as I was never allowed to listen to music as a child so have only really had the chance to listen to music of my own choice recently as I've become independent of my parents.

Anyway, I love:

The Smiths
The Beatles
Prince
Marina and the Diamonds
Florence and the Machine
Sky Ferreira
The Script
Ed Sheeren
Phoenix
Björk (loveee her)
The XX
Natalie Williams
And muse

And, ya know, if I'm in the mood to dance then I like a bit of commercial stuff:
Nicki Minaj
Gaga
Ke$ha
Little mix (that's apparently extremely terrible)
Kerli
Britney

I love my music as i feel it really appeals to all my emotions and gets me thinking a lot .. I tend to like quite melancholic music ... And I suppose all that matters Is that I like my music, but would you say my music is bad?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No , your music taste isn't bad at all. Everyone has like there own type of music they like to listen to that would make them feel good or make them feel relaxed.
I think its al cool stuff u listen to , but i traveled the 7 seas, so i also can enjoy other more stranger and obscure music styles , like nirvana and death metal and Beethoven piano and erotic musci like this :

https://soundcloud.com/edwinemanuelposse/i-want-to-suck-your-ass
Reply 3
I really don't think it is anyone's place to say who listens to 'good' or 'bad' music. It is completely subjective. People commenting telling you have good taste in music is just as irrelevant as the person who originally told you that you have bad taste in music. It is your personal preference. People who listen to certain music to fit in with the cool kids, or who listen to completely obscure music so they can be hipsters and different from everyone else, they are both relatively flawed. Just listen to whatever the hell you want and don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks.
Reply 4
If you like the music, then it's according to your own taste, so is therefore good for you. Many people like that kind of music; no one can actually judge someone of having a 'bad taste' in music as what they find bad might be good for others.
Reply 5
It's not bad, just predictable.
Reply 6
I think that's good music taste :smile:

Everyone is different, and will have different tastes. I got negged on here for stating my music taste. I like music from heavy metal to 50's music.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy what you enjoy. The people who go around regulating other people's taste in music are the ones with an issue.

Personally, I really like quite a few of those artists you've listed.
Reply 8
Original post by Linnerzx
I really don't think it is anyone's place to say who listens to 'good' or 'bad' music. It is completely subjective. People commenting telling you have good taste in music is just as irrelevant as the person who originally told you that you have bad taste in music. It is your personal preference. People who listen to certain music to fit in with the cool kids, or who listen to completely obscure music so they can be hipsters and different from everyone else, they are both relatively flawed. Just listen to whatever the hell you want and don't give a **** what anyone else thinks.

This. Put it on a tea-towel.
Reply 9
To me, yes your taste in music is horrific. Especially Nicki Minaj and Lady Gaga.

Original post by Rosaknows
no one can actually judge someone of having a 'bad taste' in music

Of course they can. I judge that his taste is bad. What's stopping me?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
You're like, eating pizza and asking me how it tastes.
Reply 11
Original post by AlligatorSky
You're like, eating pizza and asking me how it tastes.

And assuming you've eaten the same pizza, you're more than qualified to tell him how it tastes. Whether it be good or bad...
Eurgh Ed Sheeran
You like the Smiths, you can do no wrong in my eyes. :lol: Although I hate it when I say I love them and people go "Oh, you must think you're a total hipster." What? No! I love them because my parents used to play the Smiths all the time and I like the music. Plus, loads of people like the Smiths, it's hardly out there or original to be a fan. :lol:

Some people would say you have fantastic music taste (myself among them), others wouldn't. It's subjective. I know Nicki Minaj is awful but if Starships starts playing I will dance along to my hearts content, mostly because it was played a lot last year when we were all about to leave school so I guess I like it for that reason. Same with a few One Direction songs. I like Taylor Swifts music a lot more since my flatmate became obsessed with the goat parodies of it, I just think of that and start laughing. What you feel like listening to will vary with your mood. I'm in love with pretty much any soundtrack that Murray Gold or Alexandre Desplat have composed, I think they're amazing. And I love Danny Elfman, one of my friends thinks he's awful, someone else I know thinks the same as me. And 50's/60's music, I grew up with my mum's music taste so I like a lot of that stuff, a lot of my friends don't see why I make such a fuss of Sam Cooke :love: All depends on who you're asking.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Rybee
And assuming you've eaten the same pizza, you're more than qualified to tell him how it tastes. Whether it be good or bad...

But you may like pepperoni when he prefers olives.
But only because there's no Neutral Milk Hotel on it :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't really tell you, but one thing's for sure - your self-esteem and need for approval from others sure is.

I mean, that 'look at me, I listen to commercial stuff too when I'm dancing:frown:' paragraph is really quite pathetic.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
More 'casual' than 'bad'.
Reply 19
I LOVE YOUR MUSIC
but it's exactly that, your music. you shouldnt care what other people think about it, ok? ok

Quick Reply

Latest