The Student Room Group

Is my music taste bad?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Linnerzx
I really don't think it is anyone's place to say who listens to 'good' or 'bad' music. It is completely subjective. People commenting telling you have good taste in music is just as irrelevant as the person who originally told you that you have bad taste in music. It is your personal preference. People who listen to certain music to fit in with the cool kids, or who listen to completely obscure music so they can be hipsters and different from everyone else, they are both relatively flawed. Just listen to whatever the hell you want and don't give a **** what anyone else thinks.

Are you sure because im in my late twenties and still listen to stuff like justin bieber, busted, aaron carter, maroon 5, blink 182, michael jackson and have just listened to a song by frankie concozza.

I like a bit of dance type music too like labrinth in fact i looking for some new stuff similar to this to wean me off the uncool stuff.
no, anyone who likes the smiths music (at least in my opinion) does not have bad taste! :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by civilstudent
Are you sure because im in my late twenties and still listen to stuff like justin bieber, busted, aaron carter, maroon 5, blink 182, michael jackson and have just listened to a song by frankie concozza.

I like a bit of dance type music too like labrinth in fact i looking for some new stuff similar to this to wean me off the uncool stuff.

Am I sure about what? Not really sure what point you're trying to make here, or the relevance of any of the bands/singers you listen to...
You listen to Björk, you are awesome.
Also, contrary to what many people say, I think Ed Sheeran is great. Speaking as a musician, I highly appreciate his attitude towards his music. Like, he doesn't give a **** if half the crowd he's performing to has illegally downloaded his album because as long as his music brings joy to them, he's happy. And that's what it means to be a genuine musician. Quite hard to come across at that level of mainstream success.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Jam'
Someone told me I have a rubbish taste in music and this really offended me as I was never allowed to listen to music as a child so have only really had the chance to listen to music of my own choice recently as I've become independent of my parents.

Anyway, I love:

The Smiths
The Beatles
Prince
Marina and the Diamonds
Florence and the Machine
Sky Ferreira
The Script
Ed Sheeren
Phoenix
Björk (loveee her)
The XX
Natalie Williams
And muse

And, ya know, if I'm in the mood to dance then I like a bit of commercial stuff:
Nicki Minaj
Gaga
Ke$ha
Little mix (that's apparently extremely terrible)
Kerli
Britney

I love my music as i feel it really appeals to all my emotions and gets me thinking a lot .. I tend to like quite melancholic music ... And I suppose all that matters Is that I like my music, but would you say my music is bad?

you like Prince.
That is good taste
Am I sure about what? Not really sure what point you're trying to make here, or the relevance of any of the bands/singers you listen to...

are you sure that taste is subjective lol
You have the smiths..you have good taste!
Original post by K the Failure
Can't really tell you, but one thing's for sure - your self-esteem and need for approval from others sure is.

I mean, that 'look at me, I listen to commercial stuff too when I'm dancing:frown:' paragraph is really quite pathetic.

Agreed. I don't care what people think of my taste in music. I generally either get looks of :s-smilie: or :eek:
Reply 28
Original post by civilstudent
are you sure that taste is subjective lol

Yeah 'lol' I am. I'm not even sure your counter point was effective in making any statement whatsoever. I still don't get what you were trying to say.
Reply 29
I haven't read any other posts
but no your music taste cannot be "bad"
it's your opinion on music
people can disagree with it, but there actually isn't such thing as "bad" music taste. Or any taste for that matter.
It's just a difference in opinion.
Reply 30
It's certainly an....interesting mix of artists.

I wouldn't go for all of them but who cares? Listen to what you like :holmes:
Yeah 'lol' I am. I'm not even sure your counter point was effective in making any statement whatsoever. I still don't get what you were trying to say.

Im not trying to make any 'statements' or 'counter' points :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest