The Student Room Group

Fainting in the operating theater

Hi

I am starting ODP course in September but in the mean time I volunteer at my local hospital. Today around lunch time I got to observe my first surgery. I was fascinated by what was happening, I didnt feel shocked or unwell by the sight of the incision although the smell I did not like much. After a few moments my sight went - i soon realised I had fainted...I can not explain how embarrassed I was!! Everyone one was very nice and supportive informing me that I should of eaten today and that may have added to me fainting. I am worried about this happening again and not being able to do something I have wanted to do for the last 8 years - will it get better?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi the exact same thing happened to me at my medical work experience while in surgery, I'm the same I wasn't freaked out or disgusted by anything but the combination of me standing for ages and not having eaten very gave me this "blackout spell". I didn't faint as I didn't drop to the ground, but I couldn't see or hear for a while and needed to sit down urgently. It's happened again since, for example at work and its always the same combination; standing for ages and not eaten in a while. Next time be sure to get your blood sugar up before going in and have a bottle or water or juice at hand with you during the day.
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply :smile: The same thing happened with me I couldnt see and think I would of hit the floor if they hadnt helped me lay down. Good to know Im not the only one. I did have something to eat and went back in and was fine for the remainder of the surgery. I will make sure to eat next time!
As long as you don't faint when actually performing a surgical procedure, I wouldn't be too worried :smile:
Original post by TomRowland4
As long as you don't faint when actually performing a surgical procedure, I wouldn't be too worried :smile:

lol 'Could somone get a doctor for the doctor' :tongue:
Reply 5
Not uncommon by any means. Nothing to feel embarrassed about either - perhaps it was just because it was your first time. Like anything else you'll get used to it if you do it enough which you will do as it's part of your course/job :smile:

Oh and it's theatre not theater, and operation not surgery. This isn't the USA :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Don't worry about it, just make sure you're prepared next time! Eat before you go in and don't stand completely still, get that gastrocnemius pump working :wink: And try not to fall into the sterile field, I was talking with an orthopaedic surgeon I was shadowing and he told me how he once had to abort a procedure because a student faceplanted onto the table :s-smilie:
It's fine, I know tonnes of medical students who've done that. With more exposure and some food in your belly you'll have no worries.
Reply 8
Original post by Lavacakes
Hi

I am starting ODP course in September but in the mean time I volunteer at my local hospital. Today around lunch time I got to observe my first surgery. I was fascinated by what was happening, I didnt feel shocked or unwell by the sight of the incision although the smell I did not like much. After a few moments my sight went - i soon realised I had fainted...I can not explain how embarrassed I was!! Everyone one was very nice and supportive informing me that I should of eaten today and that may have added to me fainting. I am worried about this happening again and not being able to do something I have wanted to do for the last 8 years - will it get better?

This is a normal physiological response you dont have to worry about at all. Forgot what it was called. The view of blood, the incision, the smell, breathing through the mask, hypoglycaemic all contributes to it. Only by experiencing surgery over and over again we get used to it. Some people have a stronger response and others might not react to it at all.
Reply 9
Did anyone else read this as "Farting in the operating theatre" ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This happened to a medical student who was assisting in a vascular operation I was shadowing on; again she felt embarrassed but the overwhelming opinion of everyone there was that it was normal, and yes, she hadn't had breakfast.

Eat and drink well, and if you feel you're getting fatigued then ask to step out for a few moments.
Very common, always eat and drink before you go into a surgery, and if you can't move your legs much then wiggle your toes to keep the blood flowing.

The worst thing you can do is pretend that you're OK when you're not, and end up toppling over on something important. If you start to feel faint you've just got to be honest and ask for a moment, the surgeons will all have seen it before.
Make sure you drink plenty of water and try not to stand still in one position for too long.

This once happened to me and I nearly passed out, but went and sat down and I was ok. If you feel yourself getting too light headed then sit down if you can.

I'm ok with gross stuff, in fact I love it. But the only time I almost passed out was seeing a DHS and when the bone started to be hammered hard I started to feel queasy. Although it was hot, I was wearing heavy lead and it had been going on for a while. It hasn't happened since so I've gotten used to it.
Reply 13
I know of someone who has done it 4 times. Once he ended up in A+E as he hit his head on a stool and remained disorientated for hours, another time he was apparently mere centimetres away from faceplanting the placenta in the delivery room :laugh:

But that is the only case i've come across of it being recurrent. Students fainting is common. That going on to cause a problem is rare.
Please dont worry, when I was nursing I passed out during my first injection (onto the patient, luckily he was very nice and understanding!) and it got much better each time I did it.

You build up a resistance or at least a way of dealing with it as time goes on, don't be harsh on yourself about it, its a hard thing to see that not many people have to deal with!
Reply 15
Have to get desensitized :wink:
Reply 16
I shadowed a neurosurgeon and a dermatologist in the same week, first day I felt like headed watching a mole being removed. I thought this was odd I realised it was cause I hadn't eaten since 5 hours before at breakfast and was also dehydrated. I went on to brain and spine surgery so you can just faint due to being on your feet all day,which isn't like school, and not eating. Don't worry about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
After three weeks of work experience, I fainted too whilst watching eye surgery :colondollar: but i've never really liked the idea of prodding the eyes with a needle

Dont worry its normal, the nurses and doctors smiled and said to me, that even FY1 and fy2 doctors faint sometimes when exposed to something new and not too worry :tongue:
Don't worry OP, people faint in theatre all the time. I mean ALL the time. I even had the ODP faint (to be caught by the anaesthetist) so it happens. It gets really uncomfortable, I was assisting and under the lights in the hot gowns I started blacking out and I'm definately not a fainter (It was also about 4/5am and on the night shift) but yeah it happens don't worry about it. Just make sure you drink plenty and eat enough before you go in.
Original post by Libby18
After three weeks of work experience, I fainted too whilst watching eye surgery :colondollar: but i've never really liked the idea of prodding the eyes with a needle

Trust me it's a lot less fun on the other side being poked by the needle :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending