The Student Room Group

Cheapest way from london to birmingham

im going to birmingam from london victoria on wed 20th march and have been searching for the cheapest ways to get there. arriving at around 11am and leaving around 4pm
i looked for train tickets at least a month ago but for the times i want its around £25+ return, so have looked at coach tickets. However i would prefer to get train and wanted to know if train tickets would get cheaper i.e. day before travelling?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, it's much cheaper to book online before hand and to book a specific train rather than get an anytime ticket. If you get the train a lot, a 16-25 railcard would save you a lot of money in the long run though they cost £28. Cheapest fares are normally before 8am or 11am-1pm, and then after 7-8pm. If you can be flexible with returning later, you'll save money.

...Not entirely sure why I got negged for this.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Megabus?

http://uk.megabus.com/JourneyResults.aspx?originCode=56&destinationCode=8&outboundDepartureDate=20%2f03%2f2013&inboundDepartureDate=&passengerCount=1&transportType=-1&concessionCount=0&nusCount=0&outboundWheelchairSeated=0&outboundOtherDisabilityCount=0&inboundWheelchairSeated=0&inboundOtherDisabilityCount=0&outboundPcaCount=0&inboundPcaCount=0&promotionCode=&withReturn=0

Some of these prices seem a little too good to be true, but I know from experience that their bus service really is very cheap, and quite comfortable.

(I submitted your journey details for a single ticket. Sometimes it is much cheaper to buy separate single tickets from sites like these than to buy a return ticket).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Damask-
No, it's much cheaper to book online before hand and to book a specific train rather than get an anytime ticket. If you get the train a lot, a 16-25 railcard would save you a lot of money in the long run though they cost £28. Cheapest fares are normally before 8am or 11am-1pm, and then after 7-8pm. If you can be flexible with returning later, you'll save money.

its just a one time trip

Original post by Pigling
Megabus?

http://uk.megabus.com/JourneyResults.aspx?originCode=56&destinationCode=8&outboundDepartureDate=20%2f03%2f2013&inboundDepartureDate=&passengerCount=1&transportType=-1&concessionCount=0&nusCount=0&outboundWheelchairSeated=0&outboundOtherDisabilityCount=0&inboundWheelchairSeated=0&inboundOtherDisabilityCount=0&outboundPcaCount=0&inboundPcaCount=0&promotionCode=&withReturn=0

Some of these prices seem a little too good to be true, but I know from experience that their bus service really is very cheap, and quite comfortable.

(I submitted your journey details for a single ticket. Sometimes it is much cheaper to buy separate single tickets from sites like these than to buy a return ticket).

i preferable want to get the train
Reply 4
Original post by printergirl
its just a one time trip

i preferable want to get the train

Megabus has some very cheap train tickets too (seriously see the link). So cheap I'm struggling to believe there isn't a catch! But look into it.
Reply 5
Original post by Pigling
Megabus has some very cheap train tickets too (seriously see the link). So cheap I'm struggling to believe there isn't a catch! But look into it.

but there not at the times i would like as im going for the open day:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Pigling

No catch. 50p booking fee is the only hidden thing.
Reply 7
From my experience definitely do not buy the day before, they are extortionate amounts of money, unfortunately I learnt that the hard way. I would recommend booking as far in advance as possible.
Original post by Pigling
Megabus?

I would highly recommend megabus. The prices do seem too good to be true, but they are true! For the Christmas holidays I got from Coventry to Portsmouth for £1! That's further than Birmingham to London!
Is journey time important?
Reply 10
Megabus is likely your best best - On Wednesdays the maximum price is £5 each way.

The Train ticket system is a wacky thing at the best of times. Best value is normally to go on London Midland (although they are slower than Virgin) with a Railcard return around £20. the LM train is Moor Street to Marylebone so remember to give yourself time to travel across London.

Whatever you do never try to purchase the day before.
Reply 11
Original post by TheIrrational
I would highly recommend megabus. The prices do seem too good to be true, but they are true! For the Christmas holidays I got from Coventry to Portsmouth for £1! That's further than Birmingham to London!

I believe that bus route continues all the way to Newcastle and that £1 fare would of covered for the entire route!
I do wonder how they make money at that price point.
Original post by printergirl
im going to birmingam from london victoria on wed 20th march and have been searching for the cheapest ways to get there. arriving at around 11am and leaving around 4pm
i looked for train tickets at least a month ago but for the times i want its around £25+ return, so have looked at coach tickets. However i would prefer to get train and wanted to know if train tickets would get cheaper i.e. day before travelling?

Best way, go from Euston -> Bham New Street. Advance single from £6 each way. 4pm is going to be peak time, so if you can try leaving before then, you might find it cheaper. Alternative is going from Marylebone to Moor St station. This is about the same price I think :smile:
Original post by mucgoo
I believe that bus route continues all the way to Newcastle and that £1 fare would of covered for the entire route!
I do wonder how they make money at that price point.

There aren't any more than a very few £1 fares on each service, they are quota controlled, and as a result, to get one, have to book far in advance.

They make money on the much more expensive fares, and booking a Megabus the week or even the day before, as many people do will still be cheaper than the train, but substantially more expensive than their lowest fare.

Realistically speaking, how much does it cost in petrol and driver wages to take a thirty seater coach from London to Newcastle?

I know those aren't the only costs, but insurance, tax and other administrative costs are tiny when averaged out over the multitudes of journeys that they will be doing each year
Reply 14
You can get a return with London Midlands (Euston to New st.) for £20. You can get it for less if you book in advance too.

Or only £31 for a Virgin return (a lot faster, and more comfortable).
London Heathrow to New York JFK. New York JFK to Birmingham.
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
Best way, go from Euston -> Bham New Street. Advance single from £6 each way. 4pm is going to be peak time, so if you can try leaving before then, you might find it cheaper. Alternative is going from Marylebone to Moor St station. This is about the same price I think :smile:

Well, Advance tickets are operator specific, and since the operators that do EUS-BHM do not do MYB-BMS, then the Advances will be very much different.

There won't be any more cheap Advances available on this route during peak time unless you book pretty much 12 weeks ahead, but if she is on a £6 Advance, it will be booked train only, so it hardly matters if the train is peak time or not.

If the OP has a railcard, then she can travel on an Off Peak Ticket at any time, provided she is travelling on Virgin (notwithstanding some other exceptions not relevant in this case).
(edited 11 years ago)
Euston to New Street is £18 arriving at 11.01 and leaving at 16.33. You'd have to use those exact trains though (and book now/soon on a train operators website - not thetrainline).
Original post by Smidster
Megabus is likely your best best - On Wednesdays the maximum price is £5 each way.

The Train ticket system is a wacky thing at the best of times. Best value is normally to go on London Midland (although they are slower than Virgin) with a Railcard return around £20. the LM train is Moor Street to Marylebone so remember to give yourself time to travel across London.

Whatever you do never try to purchase the day before.

No it's not, that's Chiltern.

Virgin Trains: New Street - Euston (fast and expensive)
Chiltern: Snow Hill/Moor Street - Marylebone (mid-range, free WiFi)
London Midland: New Street Euston (slow, cheap, horrible commuter-type trains)
Haven't read any other posts but definitely megabus or national express, don't bother with trains, far too much

Quick Reply

Latest