The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy / osteopathy

I have been looking to go to university to do a physio course but recently i have been told about an osteopathy course. I wondered how similar these courses were. I am wantong to physio for a local rugby team and i wondered if an osteopathy course would set me up for that or if i should stick to physiotherapy.

I understand that they are different in ways but i wondered if the basic content was the same.

I would also like to know why an osteopathy course is 4 years as opposed to 3. Does it go into more depth than physio courses?

Thanks
Reply 1
It's a bit like Judo and Karate. They are both fighting styles, but there are different philosophies, different moves etc. The core of osteo from my knowledge is that injury can be corrected through the re-alignement of the skeletal system. A physio would say that there is the skeletal system yes, but also other components that could be at fault. So, yes, they are different in their approaches to treatment. With physio you also go into respiratory and neuro conditions amongst others which I don't believe osteopathy does. As an undergrad in physio you won't do any high velocity thrust manips (known as grade 5's), but in osteo you go into this in depth - how to crack spines, necks etc.

If you want to be a rugby physio then you will have to study a physio degree, but I don't see why a team wouldn't take on an osteo instead. As to why the extra year, I don't know as I haven't done the osteopathy degree. I would say that osteo goes into more depth in some areas, but not in others. I think it boils down largely to what you believe in, and what sort of practitioner you want to be. Maybe try to have a sit down and chat with a physio and an osteo? Better still, see if you can get some work experience.

Quick Reply