The Student Room Group

Hernia mesh

Had a hernia. had hernia surgery. now have a mesh in me. has anyone else gotten one? how is it? how old are you? what is it like? I just recently got mine and experiencing some pain or etc. but I would like to know what it is like living with it...if possible????

I know some mesh have been recalled and others have had serious problems. I would like to know is it possible not to have any problems with it??:confused:
Reply 1
Had a hernia. had hernia surgery. now have a mesh in me. has anyone else gotten one? how is it? how old are you? what is it like? I just recently got mine and still in recovery mode. but I would like to know what it is like living with it...if possible????

I can't find any real info on this.:frown:

I know some mesh have been recalled and others have had serious problems. I would like to know is it possible not to have any problems with it??:confused:
Original post by Anonymous
Had a hernia. had hernia surgery. now have a mesh in me. has anyone else gotten one? how is it? how old are you? what is it like? I just recently got mine and still in recovery mode. but I would like to know what it is like living with it...if possible????

I can't find any real info on this.:frown:

had it since i was like..6 and its fine. never had any problems at all.
While not being a hernia sufferer, I spent some time working in a ward with many hernia mesh patients.

The permanency depends if you have an absorbable or non-absorbable mesh. Non-absorbable ones are obviously intended to be permanent, and would not be described as such if there was not a reasonable chance of them remaining in the body without complications. The article I've linked below states that around 50% of people suffer from chronic pain with a mesh. Whether this is bearable or not highly depends on the individual. It is possible to have a mesh removed at a later stage if the pain becomes too much.

You seem to be very panicky about it, you should absolutely go to your GP with any questions or worries you have, as these should have been dealt with in hospital. That way, you can get answers specific to your type of hernia and mesh. If you are constantly telling yourself that you will feel intolerable pain and are going to have problems, then you aren't going to be in the best mindset to get better.

This article is well-referenced and might be of interest to you. It explains that while meshes are not always ideal, and have their complications, they are much better than sutures. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3025220/
Reply 4
Is there any way - through exercise and diet - to increase blood flow in the lower region, in which is restricted due to hernia mesh?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Is there any way - through exercise and diet - to increase blood flow in the lower region, in which is restricted due to hernia mesh?

A hernia mesh shouldn't be restricting any blood flow. If you think it is it's time to see your doctor about it.
I know this is an old thread but I presume the new bumper has got a hernia mesh. I have a mesh in me. I had two hernia operations, the first was stitched up with standard sutures and then that split open a few years later so I had keyhole surgery with the mesh. I have to say the mesh was better for me, than the sutures, I recovered much more quickly. When I had the sutures, I could feel for a long time afterwards where the suture scar was inside me. I knew when it opened up instinctively what had happened because I just felt the scar giving way.

With the mesh I had less post operative pain, a bit of stiffness and discomfort but it wasn't the same level by any means. One thing my surgeon had stressed to me with my mesh is it needed time to heal, ie it was good to start walking around etc after a week or so to get the muscles working and blood flowing down there but leave it a good few months before I did anything that would really put pressure on the region. I seem to remember him saying it was basically held in place with tacks while my body healed between the mesh openings and knitted it all together, and until it had knitted the tacks could pop open if you pressurised them.

A few years down the line I have to say its barely any problem for me at all. I can occasionally feel a twinge, not pain, but a twinge where the mesh is, but it feels a lot more secure than the sutures did. I guess I had no infection or anything and my body just accepted it and knitted it together in my abdominal wall so now its basically part of my body. Top marks to the NHS for that one...

Quick Reply

Latest