The Student Room Group

No A*s..is that really bad?

It seems that all the top universities want students with A*s and obviously why not? But what if you're the student who wants to get into one of these top universities but you feel you haven't got the grades because you're surrounded by As and Bs. Everyone still tells you these grades are really good, but then some of these people are the ones with the A*s.

I'm in year 11 of secondary school right now and work really hard to get the results I have. I admit I have gotten A*s before in GCSE, but in separate units and I certainly don't think I'll be able to get one overall because I already work super hard. I've already finished 3 of my GCSEs early and received 2As and 1B. The rest I'm predicted 5As and 4Bs. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely proud of these results but I just don't feel they can get me into the uni I want to be in (and I'm not talking about Oxbridge here). Even as I browse the the stalking pages on TSR of the universities I love, all I see is A*s.

I know I still have A levels to go, and this is where I'm hoping the A*s will come in then, but can us A and B graders get into a top university with no A*s? Thank you :smile:
Original post by YanaIguana
It seems that all the top universities want students with A*s and obviously why not? But what if you're the student who wants to get into one of these top universities but you feel you haven't got the grades because you're surrounded by As and Bs. Everyone still tells you these grades are really good, but then some of these people are the ones with the A*s.

I'm in year 11 of secondary school right now and work really hard to get the results I have. I admit I have gotten A*s before in GCSE, but in separate units and I certainly don't think I'll be able to get one overall because I already work super hard. I've already finished 3 of my GCSEs early and received 2As and 1B. The rest I'm predicted 5As and 4Bs. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely proud of these results but I just don't feel they can get me into the uni I want to be in (and I'm not talking about Oxbridge here). Even as I browse the the stalking pages on TSR of the universities I love, all I see is A*s.

I know I still have A levels to go, and this is where I'm hoping the A*s will come in then, but can us A and B graders get into a top university with no A*s? Thank you :smile:

Depends on the subject and what you define as a 'good university'. The most competitive courses (English, History, Law, Medicine, Maths...) at some of the best universities would require a few A*s. But for a Russell Group University? Or even more simply a good university? It would really depend on the course and the Uni, but dont worry. Apart from Oxbridge, Warwick, LSE, Durham, UCL and a few of the more picky university, I've seen some offers given for very good universities with less than exceptional GCSE grades- you'd really need to decide on what you'd want to study
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply. UCL is one of my dream universities but, as you said, they can be quite picky. I also like King's College London which isn't so bad. I'm also not so sure what course I want to take; probably English, Geography or a Science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending