The Student Room Group

How to get A/A* in GCSE History?

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing the same topics for my History GCSE too! ahaha.

Well I find it fairly easy, and I think forming your own opinion and knowing dates is important, but the latter is what I find difficult. I did a mock for the Nazi Germany paper and got an A* and I didn't do much revision.

I suggest when you know the majority of the facts, start developing a method to how you write. The more your writing flows the more time you can save when writing something.

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 21
I am also studying for GCSE history, today though I forgot my book for a double lesson! so you need to be on the ball remember your equipment and study till you dream about Medicine and Hitler!!!
Reply 22
Make sure in written tasks to make a point then back it up with evidence and then to explain it and link it to the topic or question of the essay
Reply 23
In one of the papers I did for GCSE I got 100%.

Honestly, once you do A-level History you realise just how much of a cakewalk the GCSE is. Just revise ****loads, as GCSE doesn't require any structured arguments and little evaluation just 'points' put forward to the question. A very reachable A/A*, whatever your ability. Just be bothered to revise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Admittedly it was a fair few years ago but i have experience of gaining an A* on the medicine through time paper so may be able to offer some assistance:

First of all- Dates, facts and figures are so important- don't be getting the date of Pasteur's germ theory wrong

Secondly- Develop your own opinion regarding key topics and events, the longer mark questions have to have a judgement of some form, they cannot be just 'word vomit' of everything you know

Thirdly- Practice is key, do all the available past papers, revising facts and figures is no substitute for actually writing them down on paper and perfecting your exam technique

Lastly- a general point about writing technique- Point, Evidence and Explanation and linking back to the question is so important, it may seem basic but honestly it has been developed as a technique because it genuinely works, so you may aswell use a tried and tested method instead of some other crazy way you think 'works better for you'
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Essay technique is paramount—begin by perfecting that, then you can grind other relevant material such as dates, relevant names, etc.
Original post by Zen-Ali
Essay technique is paramount—begin by perfecting that, then you can grind other relevant material such as dates, relevant names, etc.

why would a student try advanced things, before mastering the basics such as dates, names and key facts? Practising essay technique without learning the basics appears to be self-defeating

You couldn't mark the best GCSE essay technique in the world at even a grade D/C if the basic facts were incorrect
Reply 27
Original post by AndrewGrace
why would a student try advanced things, before mastering the basics such as dates, names and key facts? Practising essay technique without learning the basics appears to be self-defeating

You couldn't mark the best GCSE essay technique in the world at even a grade D/C if the basic facts were incorrect

Suppose I was being too personal; for me the essay technique came easily, and the facts were things I encompassed into the essay afterwards. It's subjective, although your method is probably better.
Original post by Zen-Ali
Suppose I was being too personal; for me the essay technique came easily, and the facts were things I encompassed into the essay afterwards. It's subjective, although your method is probably better.

Firstly apologies if i appeared confrontational

You are right for some students, that facts and key dates come quite easily to some students and that essay technique becomes their focus

I was just thinking that as generic advice for a student aiming for an A* and knowing the importance of accuracy in getting the basics right, suggesting a 'run before you can walk' approach may be subjective

However i must confess i question you with hindsight as during my GCSEs i very often took that approach
Reply 29
Original post by AndrewGrace
Firstly apologies if i appeared confrontational

You are right for some students, that facts and key dates come quite easily to some students and that essay technique becomes their focus

I was just thinking that as generic advice for a student aiming for an A* and knowing the importance of accuracy in getting the basics right, suggesting a 'run before you can walk' approach may be subjective

However i must confess i question you with hindsight as during my GCSEs i very often took that approach

Not a problem, if it's for the sake of aiding the OP it's permissible.

Yeah, that's understandable.
Hi im doin life in germany i need some help in understanding how hitler became fuhrer and the role of von papen, please cou,d you help me understand this arean
Got 100% in GCSE History and here is my view:

One cannot supplement great knowledge. However, a fountain of facts and figures can render themselves relatively useless if you do not possess the tools to construct a coherent argument. Furthermore, you need to know the mark scheme inside and out. Knowing the exact date of a given event is less useful than knowing 'to get in the top mark band I need to do this'.

How to perfect this technique and ensure you hit the top mark band in all questions?

Practice. Do a random question (one of the larger essays). Give it to your teacher and say 'be critical and even harsh'; kindness gets you nowhere when it comes to qualifications.

Good luck.
Thank you very mych :biggrin: I did get A*
Original post by EmilPhoque
Learn all key dates and impressive facts. Learn the way in which you answer the question, concentrating on your own personal opinion.
I also found it helpful to do a whole booklet on every key event and write the effects of them. Germany is a pretty easy exam as long as you answer what the question asks.

I got full marks in that paper so if you need any help understanding anything (events etc), let me know.

Hi! Could you please let me know what topics you took as part of your course? I could really do with some advice if you studied the same ones as i am doing. Btw if you don't mind me asking, what grade did you achieve at GCSE?
I did these units last year (A* in both exams) and the one thing that separates candidates is assessing the relative importance of events, eg 'The night of the long knives was more important than the Reichstag fire in consolidating power because....'. Say which thing is most important in consolidating power and explain why, comparing it to other events. For medicine, stick closely to the seven factors (religion, science and tech, individuals, government, communication, chance and I've forgotten the other). Revise well so you know the facts but to be honest, HOW you answer the question is most important.
Oops only just realised how old this thread is hah! Sorry
Reply 36
Original post by baldwel
Oops only just realised how old this thread is hah! Sorry

It's still good advice :smile:

I've got these two exams coming up for my mocks.. Scared.
Pls could kindly send me th he revision downLoad you mentioned in your. Chat will really appreciate
Original post by Fusionflare
It's quite simple really. You do the work and everything your teacher tells you to do, instead of wasting time on the internet asking what you already know.

I have a rubbish teacher- so, that definitely doesn't count for me!
Original post by Ariana Grande
I am doing American West/ Medicine through time
Learn all the doctor's between
stone age - 1900's. :]

It's also important to know other thing's despite the key genius' as they do often switch it up and ask questions about the period in general, I haven't started American West yet.. gah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending