The Student Room Group

University of Aberdeen vs Imperial College - Petroleum Geoscience

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Shinaz Sabohi
Hi orzech,

After almost a year, I wonder, what is your choice then? Is it UoA or Imperial?

Hey man,

I chose Imperial after all:smile:
Hey,

I am thinking of sending my applications off but really scared as I want to get into either university. But 1, I am applying late, 2, my second yr grade was a 2:1 (not great!), 3, I have no internships or anything like that. What advice do you have ?? What are the chances of me getting in? Any ideas?

Really freaking out as my personal statement is also not the best. I had hopes but I am in a stage of panic.
Reply 22
Hey,

First of all - do not worry:smile: It is only an application:smile:

1) I just checked - my application was completed 14 of January (it means, that both of my references where completed online). Hence, it is not that late yet. However, in order to be considered for industry scholarship you should hurry up, since open day is 14.02.2014 - (if you are UK/EU student). Make sure to inform IC, that you would like to be considered.

2) I am EU student - so my grading was different than in Uk, however as far as I know 2:1 is acceptable in IC.

I had some working experience before Msc - that definitely helped me.

The chances are always there - I suggest to work hard on your personal statement and references. Show your motivation and passion about the subject.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Original post by orzech
Hey,

First of all - do not worry:smile: It is only an application:smile:

1) I just checked - my application was completed 14 of January (it means, that both of my references where completed online). Hence, it is not that late yet. However, in order to be considered for industry scholarship you should hurry up, since open day is 14.02.2014 - (if you are UK/EU student). Make sure to inform IC, that you would like to be considered.

2) I am EU student - so my grading was different than in Uk, however as far as I know 2:1 is acceptable in IC.

I had some working experience before Msc - that definitely helped me.

The chances are always there - I suggest to work hard on your personal statement and references. Show your motivation and passion about the subject.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Thank you very much! Didn't see this until now and was waiting for a reply haha, so thank you for getting back, I sent my application (with references) on the 29th and it says something about the application needing to be sent before the 3rd. I do hope I get in. although I want a scholarship from industry, my priority is focussed mainly on getting in. As long as I manage that I would be happy. I have had a few work exp stints here and there nothing major so I guess I'll wait and hopefully hear from them before the 14th when, as you mentioned, they are conducting interviews. Does this mean that applications after the 3rd may not be considered at all? Lucky I got it on time!!
Reply 24
Original post by TheRockMaster
Thank you very much! Didn't see this until now and was waiting for a reply haha, so thank you for getting back, I sent my application (with references) on the 29th and it says something about the application needing to be sent before the 3rd. I do hope I get in. although I want a scholarship from industry, my priority is focussed mainly on getting in. As long as I manage that I would be happy. I have had a few work exp stints here and there nothing major so I guess I'll wait and hopefully hear from them before the 14th when, as you mentioned, they are conducting interviews. Does this mean that applications after the 3rd may not be considered at all? Lucky I got it on time!!

I think they will be considered as well. It just means, that you would not attend Open Day and loose opportunity for funding. Did you let them know, that you seek for a scholarship? If not - you will not get an invitation to open day.
Reply 25
Ive got the same problem like you now. Got offers from aberdeen and imperial. Id like to know, what is the ultimate consideration that make you chose imperial in the end?
Reply 26
Original post by Hdn14
Ive got the same problem like you now. Got offers from aberdeen and imperial. Id like to know, what is the ultimate consideration that make you chose imperial in the end?

The "brand" of the University:smile:
Hi everyone,

I would much appreciate if someone could give me an answer to my question...

I am going straight into 2nd year for petroleum engineering and I want to know if anyone that has done first year can tell me if they think it would be extremely difficult to go straight into 2nd year.

Doest 1st year cover much more than A-level math/physics/chemistry?

If yes, PLEASE could you give me a list of what you think I should revise before Uni starts.

Thank you in advance
Reply 28
Original post by orzech
The "brand" of the University:smile:

Hey

How are you doing Orzech? please could you tell how were Pet Geo classes? I've been accepted by IC and Manchester Uni Leeds but I'd like to know about teaching method in IC beforehand. Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending