The Student Room Group

Most effective way learning maths

Hi

I have posted previously that I am re-sitting the GCSE Maths in June after 4 years. I never finished school and missed a large amount of Maths to GCSE standard so I am having to learn it by myself as I cant afford to do a course.

I have a few books, but to be honest I find that I am only using them for the questions as nothing sticks when I read it. I use mymaths and I seem to pick things up quickly, however when I come back a week later to do the online homework I have forgotten it all. I also use examsolutions and Mathswatch.

I am finding im getting so stressed with the fact that I am sitting for hours learning, then coming back to it a week later and its gone. Does anyone know an effective way to learn and make it stick?

Thanks
Reply 1
If I learn something new, and come back to it a week later, most of the time I'm clueless as where to start - I've forgotten it all. I find going over it for half an hour or so for a few nights after I learn it, it will stick and I can leave it weeks and still remember :smile:
If you don't understand WHY you are doing something, then you are left with learning the so called 'parrot' fashion. i.e. memorising.

Try word association:

You can remember stuff like expanding brackets by using acronyms such as FOIL (Fronts, Outsides, Insides, Lasts).

Pi (3.14159) can be remembered by using May I Have A Number Instantly i.e. use the number of letters in each word May = 3, I = 1, Have = 4, A = 1 etc.

Formula for the circumference of a circle might be C=Pi.D i.e. Circumference= Diameter x Pi or Cherry makes Delicious Pie's.

You can use this technique for other longer strings like the first twenty elements of the periodic table: Hydrogen, Helium, Lithium, Beryllium, Boron, Carbon etc........using something like: Horrid Henry Likes Beating Boring Children Not Only For Never........you get the idea.

Quick Reply

Latest